Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1961 nu card scoops?

The baseball cards. Seems loaded with hall of famers at very reasonable pricing. Any opinions notes on these? Are they rare or somewhat rare? Anyone know the history behind them?? Is it a "sleeper" set in terms of current and/or future value?

In case a picture reminds people:

A Ruth

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    Kurt - I don't know a great deal about the Nu-card Scoops, but I don't believe that they are by any means rare. They are also fairly plentiful in high grade. I think, in terms of their accessibility and collectibility, they are similar to the '64 Topps Giants. Both are plentiful and affordable, especially in high grade, but I don't feel that the Nu-card Scoops is as attractive of a set as the Giants cards.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options
    Kurt,

I have seen them around and they seem to be fairly plentiful in PSA 8 and not that expensive... I have not seen any 9's however. At one point I was thinking about working on a set but decided I had to many other sets going on and needed to finnish a few before working on that one... My feeling is that a lot of these off the beaten track sets will become more popular as the registry grows (ala the 1970 Kellogg's). Go for it! Jeff - By the way great ICON!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    Kurt,
    At the present time I'm the owner of the number one 1961 nu card set in the registry. I think that the set is very under valued and under appreciated by the collecters. I'll be the first to admit that their not as attractive as any topps set from that time. The whole idea of this set was to make the cards look like scoops from your sports page from the early sixties. In those days everything was in black and white with a red letter heading to get the attention of the person looking at the paper. The cards have some awsome hall of famers and I don't think that their that easy to locate. I look for high grade examples everyday on ebay and their not that easy to find. Compare them to any set from the sixties and you'll see what I mean. I have several at PSA right now and when they are done my set should be at 100%. I also like the 1960 scoops. I own all of the graded nines and the only ten from that set with more to return with this order. I'll be adding these to the registry soon. I think the whole point is if you enjoy them go after them. You surely came to the right place for advice. I don't add much here myself but I learn a lot from all that I read from the collectors. Good luck.
    Philabuster
    I collect the 1960 and 1961 Nu Card issues. I also enjoy the 1959 Fleer Three Stooges.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys! I may start a 61 after reading these image