Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

World Coins gain recognition! Beautiful Egypt Coins issued by Britain

My passion for collecting elusive World Coins series is getting noticed. One of my registry sets awarded the Best New Set for 2018:

"This new set jumped into first place, leapfrogging over the other two sets in the category by achieving 100% completion. Each coin in this set has been True-Viewed, and we recommend a “stroll” through the images to get a sense of the quality of these impressive coins."

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/africa/egypt/egypt-occupation-coinage-silver-piastres-circulation-strikes-1916-1920/imagegallery/160282

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive grades ! :D

So can you give a some history of these coins?

Mintages, dates in the series , where they were struck?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• atomatom Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

These coins were issued during Sultan Hussein-Kamil and Sultan Fuad I of Egypt and were used extensively in Palestine. The British Mandate Government used mints in England (King's Norton Mint and Birmingham) and India (Bombay). The British outlawed the Turkish coinage and legalized the Egyptian coinage until the Palestine Currency Board coinage was ready for distribution in 1927. You'll find the British Mandate coinage of that series (1927-1946) listed under Palestine.

Mintmark 'H' appears for Heaton Mint, the Bombay issues have no mintmark. KN for King's Norton appears on some of the non silver issues. For this set of silver coins, there are 2, 5, 10 and 20 Piastres denominations dating from 1916, 1917 and 1920. The 1920 issue of the 20 Piastres isn't really collectible - it has a recorded mintage of just 2 pieces! The other denominations of the 1920 dates are scarcer than those of the earlier dated issues.

Mintages are generally a few million, with the exception of 10 Piastres 1920 at 500,000 and the 20 Piastres 1917 at 840,000 and 1917-H at 250,000.

It's a challenging series to obtain in high grade.

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Congratulations on the achievement.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes Congratulations.

Hoard the keys.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set and terrific album!

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing, tough, set. You can probably improve on the 20 Piastres in grade... are you also going at the Farouk/Fuad set?

• atomatom Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all of you for your comments!

@Zohar said:
    Amazing, tough, set. You can probably improve on the 20 Piastres in grade... are you also going at the Farouk/Fuad set?

Yes, the Farouk and Fuad in silver
    I find the gold issues frequently available; the silver coins are more of a challenge in high grade