Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Any early National reports

I just saw on Facebook someone paid 17k for a 1970 topps football box. Anyone on the forum on the inside yet!??

Comments

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 4:27PM

Who are these early buyers? VIPs? There will be nothing left but bread crumbs for peons like myself when I arrive on Thursday...

mint_only_pls
  • SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Who are these early buyers? VIPs? There will be nothing left but bread crumbs for peons like myself when I arrive on Thursday...

They'll be plenty of good stuff to buy all week. No need to panic. Sunday could be the best day this year.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

VIPs don't get in until 30 minutes before everyone else today.

The folks running around on Tuesday that aren't dealers got dealer friends to get them in on Tuesday and "earlier" on Wednesday.

As Sdub said, not a big deal - don't panic. There are good buys every day of the show, sometimes you have to work harder to find them, but they are there.

• sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Don’t forget that dealers will be refreshing their inventory constantly throughout the week as they buy collections that walk in and prices could get better as end of show approaches and they would rather bring home cash and less boxes.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sushihotwings said:
    Don’t forget that dealers will be refreshing their inventory constantly throughout the week as they buy collections that walk in and prices could get better as end of show approaches and they would rather bring home cash and less boxes.

Just leave some Jordan and Star cards for the rest of us ;)

Sorry Keith. The damage is done.:) Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. I did pick up some 90s basketball boxes as well.

We are driving up tomorrow and will be there all day Friday and Saturday. You have my cell and hit me up one of those days and we can catch up. Hope you have a great show.

KC

edited August 1, 2018 6:29PM

Was talking with a guy and his family at my hotel. His 1st National. I asked him what he collects and he said hockey. I showed him my PSA 9 Gretzky rookies OPC and Topps thinking he might enjoy. He then tells me how the whole reason for his trip was to grade his wife’s 52 Mantle she got from her grandma. PSA is grading it tonight and she is shopping it tomorrow. It hasn’t seen the light of day in decades. Crazy story.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one Heritage posted looks very strong!

• PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

@sushihotwings said:
    Was talking with a guy and his family at my hotel. His 1st National. I asked him what he collects and he said hockey. I showed him my PSA 9 Gretzky rookies OPC and Topps thinking he might enjoy. He then tells me how the whole reason for his trip was to grade his wife’s 52 Mantle she got from her grandma. PSA is grading it tonight and she is shopping it tomorrow. It hasn’t seen the light of day in decades. Crazy story.

OMG... is that the one posted above that Heritage got or is that a different one?? I wish I had a story like this to tell!

If a few more Mantle rookies pop up his pop numbers will look like an 89 Upper Deck Griffey :D

KC

• Who would put a $100K+ card in one of those flimsy card savers?

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    Who would put a $100K+ card in one of those flimsy card savers?

So what would you suggest it be in prior to grading?

• 1all1all Posts: 498 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

At least 3 inches of solid lucite. Make sure you screw it down real good to make sure it doesn't get damaged....

• 1all1all Posts: 498 ✭✭✭

..... Sorry, I had another 80's flashback

• @Dpeck100 said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

Any other holder. Those things are a complete joke. You would seriously jam a valuable card down into one of those things? I've bent, dinged, creased and otherwise damaged plenty of cards with those back in the 90's, and nobody - not one person - I have ever known would store a card in those. I honestly can't believe people send valuable cards through the mail in one.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

A penny sleeve and a card saver works well. You have to send your cards to PSA in them. If all cards got damaged, how would any cards get a 9 or 10? I hate top loaders because there is no lip on them. CS's are great. "Jamming" them in might be a sign of veiled aggression, lol.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Card saver 1’s are the best!

Well Jimmy when you go to submit cards to PSA you will need them.

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Evan Mathis, you are the man

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the price is on that 88T Bo?

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to ask, it is a pop 1!!!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Card saver 1s are the best safest way to protect your card for submission to PSA. Maybe you're thinking of the smaller Card Saver 2s? I can't fathom any reason on earth why anyone would risk using anything else. The grading company you are submitting to is literally instructing you to use them, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Picked up three cards on Wednesday and pretty much spend my funds. Psa 9 1950 Bowman Rizzuto and also a Vic Raschi same year and grade. Then found a real nice 1964 Mantle psa 6.5 at a nice price. I have enjoyed the show. It got pretty crowded on Thursday.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    I wonder what the price is on that 88T Bo?

It was on eBay for months and months with a BIN price of $969,000. The last time the listing expired, it was not automatically renewed.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Evan Mathis, you are the man

I walked up to this case and didn’t know it was his until I saw the 88 Bo PSA 1. :D

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1all said:

@Dpeck100 said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

At least 3 inches of solid lucite. Make sure you screw it down real good to make sure it doesn't get damaged....

I was at the PSA booth and looked over to the guy beside me that had a screwdriver unleashing a card from its thick lucite tomb. Get ready for an altered stock buddy.

• Is there any rare and/or unusual vintage basketball cards there ? Thx.

P.S.
    If you see Michael Rakosi, ask him how the hell he's doing.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

BBCE has a 69/70 pack w/Lew Alcindor showing on top face in...asking price $18k+!

mint_only_pls
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    BBCE has a 69/70 pack w/Lew Alcindor showing on top face in...asking price $18k+!

I might pay that for a pack with Kareem on top but I never heard of this Lew Alcindor guy.

Daniel
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone get arrested yet?

• GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Someone did, an autograph dealer