Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What’s the scoop on 2018 Topps baseball

Have not opened any and I see that the Series 1 boxes only go for around $40 per and the series 2 not much more. Anything at all special in either one? I assume the update has the better potential? Looking for some feedback and while we are at it what is the rundown for each series of 2017 topps baseball?

Comments

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

2018 Topps Baseball, both series 1 and 2 are a fun product to open. Great photography, a liberal sprinkling of insert sets and some surprise photo variations. Gold parallels as Topps has done in the last several years. Series 2 obviously has the Ohtani rookie cards and inserts. I also enjoy the 35th Anniversary insert set. Those are modeled after the 1983 set. As far as value, with Topps hobby boxes it is generally best to wait about 2 months after release to get a better price. Factory cost on Topps is $44.66, and is now selling below that. I don't generally consider this product as a "money maker" or a buy and hold box like Bowman Chrome or Bowman Draft. The retail blaster boxes have exclusive content with series 1 having a very cool players weekend commemorative patch card (not a real patch) and series 2 has a great looking card with the American Flag on it. All in all, I like the design, the inserts are plentiful and not impossible to collect. The real "money" cards, autos, refractors, 1/1's are in the Silver Packs. This was done as an incentive to buy cases and hobby product. Retailers are supposed to provide a silver pack for each hobby box purchased. If you see any ebay or other sellers of this product and want to consider purchasing, be sure to know if the silver pack is included or not. Higher priced boxes tend to include the silver pack, while lower priced boxes do not. The silver pack is not inside theTopps box itself, but loose packed. I think at $40ish a box it is worth buying. Probably after the National, they will be in the $35 range.

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

For 2017, it is all about Aaron Judge. Series 1 has the "rookie card" along with several photo variation cards. Parallels and inserts are cool too. Easy to collect. For the Update Series, in both 2017 and 2018, they have recent players after being traded, rookie cards, inserts etc. 2017 Topps Series 1 has still held value pretty well and sells in the $68-$75 range. A real value for buy and hold is the older Topps Update sets and boxes. The guys like Kershaw, Scherzer, Goldschmidt, Harper, Trout (if you can find any), Betts and more. The 2008 Kershaw is a couple hundred bucks, just for the base card.

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Great info.... who did the 2017 update boxes have for big rookie? Who is anticipated in the 2018 update boxes? I usually buy 2-3 from each series bet fell off doing that after 2016