Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mac/Nikon what transfer software to use?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 31, 2018 9:09AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just recently made the transition for a Windows PC to Mac and for the first time connected my Nikon DSLR to upload photos.

I thought the Mac would have any software needed to do such, but NOTHING happens when I connect the camera.

So curious if I need to download and what I should use?

Thanks in advance! :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 9:15AM

Try the Nikon website and see if there is any mac software available for your make and model.
    Wasn't there any software supplied with the camera?
    I know that Canon cameras come with software for both Windows and Macs.
    There are 3rd party software options available, but they aren't free.
    Google mac software for your model of Nikon. Which model do you have?

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am calling on @SiriusBlack for help...

@Broadstruck said:
    I just recently made the transition for a Windows PC to Mac and for the first time connected my Nikon DSLR to upload photos.

I thought the Mac would have any software needed to do such, but NOTHING happens when I connect the camera.

So curious if I need to download and what I should use?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Lightroom

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually when you connect it through the usb you can open the pics by clicking on Photos icon

Then you should be able to export. I hope it works for you

• Options

Okay thanks everyone for now as I'll try some things....

I'll come back if I need any further help.

@robec I'll have to look around as I bought the Nikon second hand years ago and can't recall if it came with a CD or not?

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 10:47AM

What, @ErrorsOnCoins and @coinsarefun said. Either of those programs should see the camera once you open them. The other option would be to check if Nikon has an app for the desktop Mac. I know they make iOS apps that you can wifi images to, but I'm not positive about full desktop software.

Additionally, check if your new Mac has an SD card slot built in. If it does, you can just remove the memory card from the camera and plug it in to the slot. The computer will immediately recognize it and you can open it from the desktop. If your computer doesn't have a slot, you can buy a card reader that plugs into a USB port for pretty cheaply and do the same thing. It's usually a lot faster than relying on the camera to do it and of course you don't need to worry about camera battery charge if you eliminate the camera.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always use a USB to connect the camera card to a computer.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2018 4:33PM

Okay I'm in the midst of transferring images now as I finally had to call Apple support.

It was a 14 minute call in which they showed me a manual way to upload images.

The new high sierra OS as of June 26 doesn't recognize my model instantly although it does see it.

Nikon software right now is in the midst of being updated to run with high sierra OS too.

Thanks everyone and I really wanted to send a huge thanks out to member @robec who held my hand via PM the last two days while non successfully trying different things and going crazy :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file