Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB HOF Induction Ceremony.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was anyone else from the Forum at the Clark Sports Center in Cooperstown for the MLB Induction's yesterday?? It was my first time, primarily for Jim Thome, but I really enjoyed the whole event and the whole Hoopla involved.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never been to the HOF...…….. will go see it when the All Time Hit Leader is in there...….. not before.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will have to live to 100+ No offense meant. In fact me also.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 3:58PM

I am waiting for Ray Oyler's induction.

• Options

@Brick said:

So be it.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn’t even aware anyone got inducted. That just gives a small hint about how much I care about the MLB HOF

• Options

Jim Thome was a class act though, certainly well deserved

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was reported there were 53,000 people in attendance. Visited the HOF last year during the off season.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pete rose was a first ballot inductee of the degenerate gambler HOF , so he has that going for him anyway. MJ is in there too B)

• Options

It was reported there were 53,000 people in attendance

I didn't count everyone :) but I bet that number is close. there was a guy sitting behind us that said he's been to the last 28 inductions, he lives close to Cooperstown so it's a free day-trip for him and I bet he has a pretty good routine. he mentioned that when the crowd is back to the hill like it was on Sunday the crowd is around 50k. he also said that whenever a Yankee or Met gets in that the place is crazy.

two Induction Classes that will be HUGE crowds --- when Derek Jeeter goes in and when Big Papi goes in. :)

the festivities started with an introduction of all the HOF players that were there and there were a lot. we laughed after the first two, Randy Johnson and Frank Thomas. the guy next to me said "The Big Unit and the Big Hurt!!!" then they came out one after another. the crowd favorite who brought everyone to their feet for about a minute of raucous applause --- Hank Aaron. I could hardly believe it, just too cool.

after everything was over and we fought the crowd to get out of town me and my Girlfriend made the drive to Albany where we'll be until Tuesday afternoon. I asked her a simple question, "What was the overall message she got from each player's short speech?" and she didn't really have an answer, but she agreed with me when I gave her mine. each man's time at the podium could be summed up as follows --- They all seem to acknowledge that they've been blessed with a gift and that without the Love and Support of their family and friends they couldn't have accomplished what they did playing Baseball. Each man mentioned a Mentor or Coaches/Players who were instrumental in some important way in the early part of their careers and they all seemed conscious of History and its place in MLB.

the guy that really got me was Jack Morris. I think he would be nice to meet.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Brick said:

So be it.

We will leave the light on for you just in case

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Brick said:

So be it.

m

No need.....really.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Brick said:

So be it.

m

No need.....really.

Jon let me tell you something about Pete Rose. He doesnt give a crap about you or any other fan for that matter. Maybe you really don’t want to go regardless but the HOF is must see if you’re a baseball fan.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been to the Hall of Fame twice and have thoroughly enjoyed it each time.

Couldn't get enough.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Brick said:

So be it.

m

No need.....really.

Jon let me tell you something about Pete Rose. He doesnt give a crap about you or any other fan for that matter. Maybe you really don’t want to go regardless but the HOF is must see if you’re a baseball fan.

m

I realize that Mark......it's just the principal.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Brick said:

So be it.

m

No need.....really.

m

He has no principal. You owe him nothing.

m

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 2:36AM

Until Rose is in, screw the hall. And how in the World can Trammell and Rice be in and keep Murphy, Parker, and Garvey left out? Maybe the voters despise the National League lol.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 2:35AM

@garnettstyle said:
    double post.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad you had a great time. I have been to 8 inductions starting in 1999 and they have all been great. Did you get any autos?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Brick said:

So be it.

m

No need.....really.

m

He has no principal. You owe him nothing.

m

My principal............not his. :);)B)

• Options

Until Rose is in, screw the hall

it is not "the Hall" which is to blame, it is the voters and a couple of past Commissioners like Selig, Giamatti and Vincent who are to blame. JMHO, but the way MLB was "Commissioner-ed" from the early 1980's until the mid-1990's did a lot to hurt the game many of us grew up with. it's almost like MLB management had a Curt Flood hangover that lasted for a long time.

but that is a by-gone era that we are past with some consequences still a part of the game.

Did you get any autos

my hope was to get a picture with Thome but the event lasted way too long, we had a commitment to make by 7pm in Albany and it was close.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2018 5:49AM

Wasn't at the HOF induction ceremony, but I do have this as a memento of Thome's career.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the Pete Rose talk reminds me of the scene from Coming to America (replace Rocky with Pete)

Clarence: Oh, there they go! There they go! Every time I start talking about boxing (Baseball), a man gotta pull Rocky Marciano (Pete Rose) outta their ass! That's they one! That's they one! Rocky Marciano (Pete Rose)! Rocky Marciano (Pete Rose)!

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Couldn't get enough.

Me too. Both times were in winter - I highly recommend going during off season as you don't have to deal with the crowds.

Daniel
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@stevek said:

Couldn't get enough.

Me too. Both times were in winter - I highly recommend going during off season as you don't have to deal with the crowds.

Many years ago ( maybe circa 1997? ) I went there in early September. I don't remember big crowds at all.

• Options

I went in 1989 and absolutely loved it.