Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1971 Topps Greatest Moments set gets some SMR love

This month's SMR magazine (August 2018) has an article on the 1971 Topps Greatest Moments set. Even though it didn't get a mention on the magazine cover, it was still great to see this set get some publicity. Doug Koztoski did a terrific job writing the article with lots of information and pictures. I hope the exposure will encourage others to collect this beautiful set.

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."

Comments

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I have an ungraded set. Have not seen the article. Does it discuss the debate about whether the set was ever issued at retail on a limited basis or just sold out of The Card Collector's warehouse. Some say they have seen cards with gum stains but I do not have any on my set cads. I do have a wrapper but have not seen others so far. I have seen but do not have a display box

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 1:39PM

Based on the evidence it would seem that the majority of the cards in circulation are not from packs, given how incredibly scarce the wrapper is. But since the wrapper you have (which is shown in the article, by the way) appears to have actually been used, I guess some small number of packs were sold somewhere. Doesn’t the “notching” present on some cards also suggest they were in packs, or is there another theory to explain that? The article did not address these points to my recollection, though it did mention the notching.

• kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

That wrapper is amazing and that photo is included in the article. The author told me he was not a TGM collector but was given the idea for the article by the magazine as he writes for them periodically so he got a lot of his information from talking to board members here. Here is a link to the current SMR issue for those that do not receive it.

https://www.psacard.com/SMRWeb/Current/

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

3 board members indeed Kevin. So I will not be at the Natty this year after all--have a great time and enjoy!

• kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@flatfoot816 said:
    3 board members indeed Kevin. So I will not be at the Natty this year after all--have a great time and enjoy!

We will miss you Manny. When I realized I was quoted in the same article with you and Bob I felt like Steve Martin in "The Jerk". "I'm somebody now! Millions of people look at this book every day! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity, you're name in print, that makes people. I'm in print! Things are going to start happening to me now." :smiley:

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kgibson said:
    This month's SMR magazine (August 2018) has an article on the 1971 Topps Greatest Moments set. Even though it didn't get a mention on the magazine cover, it was still great to see this set get some publicity. Doug Koztoski did a terrific job writing the article with lots of information and pictures. I hope the exposure will encourage others to collect this beautiful set.

I've got my copy and gonna read it on the plane to Cleveland, Kevin.

Will tell ya what I think later.

Mike
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have not seen the article.

I'll make a copy of the article for you and bring it to our next lunch Al.

Again, have a safe and happy adventure! First thing I thought of? The group Toto.

Mike