Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need Tony Dorsett Expert- 1978 Team Issue Tony Dorsett Autograph- Real or Forged?

Hi guys,
In 1978, I asked Tony Dorsett for an autograph. He responded with an autograph 1978 Cowboys Team Issue Photo. However, this autograph looks fake, but the only way it could be real is if he was still learning how to sign, and this is one of his first signatures (hence during his rookie season). Any Opinions?

Thanks so much guys!

Comments

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Sorry, this doesn't look real to me. Those ink blots (spots) seem as pauses in the writing motion, especially in the tail section of the "Y". There is no fluidity in the writing, constant stops and starts (traced) perhaps. It does have the same design elements of his modern auto, the "D" looping back to touch the "Y" and is of a similar style, but those dots don't look good to me. The placement of where he crosses the "T's" has changed. He crosses it now lower on the "stems" of the "T", but earlier examples he crosses the "T's" at or near the top. An auto-pen, which I think this might be, causes ink pooling or spots when the pen is lifted and lowered onto the paper.

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

somewhat agree with the above, but it's possible this was sitting on some sort of cardboard backing when it was signed, which could explain the "blotting" appearance?

this was a heisman trophy winner, so his first autographs weren't with dallas - they were in college with pittsburgh

without seeing in person it's hard to know for sure, but this appears to mostly likely be auto-pen

• Options

Thanks guys for the help! I did receive this from him back in 1978, and didn't think someone would sign for him, but the dots certainly made me suspicious. His auto could have been on a bad surface, explaining the pauses, thanks guys!!!