Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1967 Canadian Confederation Medals- Lombardo Mint

PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 28, 2018 6:34PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I picked these up at local coin club auction last week for next to nothing. I thought they had an interesting design, and thought maybe I'd purchased some silver on the cheap! Well, they are silver...that is silver "plated," and gold plated over bronze. They don't command much value from what I've researched; yet, most that I've seen are corroded, or, have significant surface issues. These are in descent shape.

I'm curious if any of you know what the mintage of any of these particular issues may be? Also, I couldn't find any info on the Queen Elizabeth/Prince Philip visit medals.

Any info is appreciated, thanks!

Black spot is from a marker and on plastic case.

This is the reverse of the previous single medals in circular case.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very few post-1960 medals have garnered much collector interest. I wonder if they ever will?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

There is actually a club dedicated to collecting the 1967 Canada Centennial medals. We will be meeting at the RCNA convention in Mississagua on August 11th.

The Lombardo pieces in the OP are relatively common generally available in the $5-$10 for excellent examples. Once the spots show up they go for $1-$2. The set was produced for the 1967 World Expo held in Montreal. QE II + Phillip visited the Expo on July 3, 1967.

The 2nd group are very common $2-$3 for nice examples. Often found in dealers' "junque" boxes.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1960NYGiants said:
    There is actually a club dedicated to collecting the 1967 Canada Centennial medals. We will be meeting at the RCNA convention in Mississagua on August 11th.

The Lombardo pieces in the OP are relatively common generally available in the $5-$10 for excellent examples. Once the spots show up they go for $1-$2. The set was produced for the 1967 World Expo held in Montreal. QE II + Phillip visited the Expo on July 3, 1967.

The 2nd group are very common $2-$3 for nice examples. Often found in dealers' "junque" boxes.

Thank you @1960NYGiants for your insight. That sounds like an interesting meeting to attend, and to be a part- I'm only familiar with what the RCM produced for the Confederation centennial as coinage. Many interesting varieties I check for on those, so, was a bit thunderstruck when I saw these Lombardo medals/tokens.

I get the impression that most of these medals, especially the Lombardo medals/tokens were sold for more than what they are currently worth? Which doesn't seem too uncommon...it's just unfortunate that the Lombardo mint couldn't have just made these out of a white metal alloy, brass, and perhaps bronze. Plating must have been cheaper than going other routes. I do like the Queen Victoria, and Queen Elizabeth II design- too bad not pure silver!

Zut alors!

• Options

Hi!! I am looking for all of those but especially the royal visit. If someone has any for sale, I am interested!!