Home Sports Talk
Options

Nick Saban $74,000,000. Alabama football team, zero!

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it is an amateur sport.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

For 8 years. A bargain

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2018 6:11PM

Plus so many other charities. Bottom photo is of Alabama players signing things for the fans, raising money to help people. The same players that went to the White House this year to celebrate their NC. They didn't whine or cry, they didn't protest and lay down and pout, they just went and represented Alabama with class.

I don't have a problem paying players. Do the really good ones get more $$$
    I scored 21 points, shouldn't I get more than Billy Bob, he just rides the bench, that ain't fair....an on an on an on.
    I play for OSU, why do the players at Tulane get the same, we play tougher opponents....an on an on an on.

• Options

As with cigarette smoking on airliners, the absurdity of the exploitation of young athletes will in the future cause us to shake our heads and wonder what in the hell were we thinking.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perfect example of today’s society, having an issue with something that has been commonplace for decades Upon decades and now let’s make it a “Big Deal” I’m not talking about social inequality either so don’t anyone throw that nonsense at me.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Perfect example of today’s society, having an issue with something that has been commonplace for decades Upon decades and now let’s make it a “Big Deal” I’m not talking about social inequality either so don’t anyone throw that nonsense at me.

I totally agree...…...paying college players would open up all kinds of problems.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

I totally agree...…...paying college players would open up all kinds of problems.

for who exactly? I don't think the players would object , who else should we care about?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

for who exactly? I don't think the players would object , who else should we care about?

I will tell you exactly what we should care about, how about the game itself that we enjoy? Holdouts, more stupid contracts, players sitting out games because they have a minor injury and don’t want to ruin their potential value by playing, Big market teams getting all the best players, education taking a back seat to physical skill, former players suing because they didn’t get paid, maybe some other things but yea let’s “care about the players”. Gimme a Break

• Options

@perkdog said:

Well you are right. Collusion among the NCAA schools has been going on for many decades. Never quite as obscene when the head coaches earned a legitimate college salary. Today, the head play callers rake in tens of millions of dollars while athletes are racking up PTSD points with every hit.

Not so much does the NCAA need to require payments to athletes, all they have to do is permit it. As with all that is good in America, the free market will determine the value of a given player.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

They don't have to play. Their mama and daddy can pay for their college education to become doctors and lawyers and astronauts.

• Options

And the tech guys in Silicon Valley don't have to be tech guys in Silicon Valley. It was discovered a few years ago that the big players conspired to not "steal" employees away from each other.

Public University system makes up the rules as they go along. only consistent rule is that the taxpayers get hosed at every turn.

• Options

Coin, I got a suggestion for you. This fall why don’t you go to college football games around the country, post up outside and hold a sign protesting that it’s unfair for kids to only get a free education to play football.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

I will tell you exactly what we should care about, how about the game itself that we enjoy? Holdouts, more stupid contracts, players sitting out games because they have a minor injury and don’t want to ruin their potential value by playing, Big market teams getting all the best players, education taking a back seat to physical skill, former players suing because they didn’t get paid, maybe some other things but yea let’s “care about the players”. Gimme a Break

So the guys that play for free need to defer to couch potatoes who are watching on free TV ? And nick Saban gets 74 million for coaching grown men who get paid nothing. Its a huge con job designed to steal the best years of their lives in exchange for a handful of magic beans, those college degrees are worthless , none of these guys will benefit from the free underwater basket weaving degrees they get .

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn it man! All Perk and I want to do is enjoy a game of football on Saturday and Sunday. Well, also on Monday, Thursday and Tuesday’s if you’re into the MAC.

I’m going to do what I did last year and all the years before. Turn on the game when it starts and ignore all the other noise.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

100% accurate statement Mark!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Coin, I got a suggestion for you. This fall why don’t you go to college football games around the country, post up outside and hold a sign protesting that it’s unfair for kids to only get a free education to play football.

Not so much unfair but if tested, most likely illegal. They should at least deflate the balls a bit to give the QB's a better shot of making a pro squad.

• Options
    edited July 28, 2018 4:47PM

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

Not so much unfair but if tested, most likely illegal. They should at least deflate the balls a bit to give the QB's a better shot of making a pro squad.

Still butthurt over NE?? Get over it or just leave the crying to NFL related threads

• Options
    edited July 28, 2018 4:42PM

This thought process about college athletes already ruined NCAA College football and basketball video games, I was actually starting to understand Ed O’Bannons point about not getting compensation for them being used for video games ( which I thought they should be given something ) until he specifically mentioned them making money off young black athletes rather than ALL college athletes. Coin give Ed a call or hit him up on Facebook so you can go to war against the NCAA

• Options

O'Bannon's comments (I'll take your word on it,) should not be a deciding factor as to what is right or wrong.

• Options

There is the link so you can sleep well knowing that you “Took my word for it”. I might talk smack here but I don’t lie about stuff I say I read or heard.

• Options
    edited July 28, 2018 8:31PM

Calm down, Perk. I took your word on it.

I usually don't believe unconfirmed quotes and look them up. Plenty of fake stuff on the net.

• Options

I will absolutely agree with you on that, the Net is a cesspool if misinformation. Way too much fake stuff floating around.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Saban's, and other college athletic coach salaries, reflect our distortion of values, and what the purpose of college is. The situation now is what the public has helped create.

Scholarship football players do get paid - a hell of a lot actually - certainly over $100,000+ total for 4/5 years in college. Really not that bad a deal. Any non-athletes here get that kind of financial support for going to college? Probably not a lot of hands.

Remember that these students, now portrayed as poor, oppressed victims, want to go to college to play football. They want to play football. No coercion necessary.

Baseball has a minor league system where players are paid. Advocates for paying college football players should help the NFL set up a minor league system. Let them play there. Then the free market could determine how much they should be paid, freed from laboring under the oppressive yoke of the cruel NCAA taskmasters.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man...where to start:

1) Players already are sitting out games to avoid injury. See: Christian McCaffrey, among many, many others.

2) Every time this subject gets brought up, people say some variation "they're already getting paid with a free education". Problems with that:
    a. Not everybody is on scholarship
    b. Scholarships don't buy movie tickets or pizzas.
    c. They're prevented from using their likeness or skills to earn outside money where other scholarship students can. Music students can play gigs if they want, for example. They're also barred from having jobs to earn their own money.
    d. Remember the Johnny Manziel autograph scandal? When that was going on, despite the fact that the NCAA specifically bars selling jerseys with player names on them, if you searched "Johnny Manziel Jersey" on the official NCAA store web site, it took you immediately to his A&M #2 jersey.
    e. If scholarships are such an awesome form of payment, why aren't coaches expected to work for them?
    f. If scholarships are such an awesome form of payment, why isn't anybody in this thread willing to work for one?

3) We hear all the time that there's no money to pay the players. Yet Alabama could pay each of its 85 players $40,000 in cash on top of their scholarships and still pay Nick Saban $5.85m a year instead of the $9.25m a year this contract calls for. The money is there, folks.

I LOVE college football. I don't want to see it destroyed. Yet I recognize the system is inherently unjust as concerns the players. Heck, don't even pay the players. Just let them earn money from their likenesses.

• Options

Tabe, forvthe record I’m all for athletes getting huge endorsements if they can,,if they can make money on their autograph then that’s fine too!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Tabe, forvthe record I’m all for athletes getting huge endorsements if they can,,if they can make money on their autograph then that’s fine too!

So two guys on each team might get paid the rest get nothing. Sounds like a great deal :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

So two guys on each team might get paid the rest get nothing. Sounds like a great deal :D

So why don’t you stop twisting what I posted?

• Options

Well its the sports forum what else actually happens here? :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

Some are worth huge endorsements (as well as salaries.) Others are worth only the scholarship. Some of the walk-ons are worth 3 meals a day and all the Nike shoes that they can wear out.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    Well its the sports forum what else actually happens here? :D

Fair enough :s

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how much they would have paid Rudy?

• Options

Less than Trump is.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the rules are very restrictive.