Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New eBay Tax Warning

Not sure if this is related to the new SC decision, or if something else. Anyone want to explain to me how this would work and/or impact card buying via eBay and elsewhere? Thanks!

If Pennsylvania sales tax was not collected on this purchase, you may be required to remit use tax directly to the Commonwealth. For more information about your use tax obligations, please visit the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue at the link below.
Pennsylvania Use Tax

Comments

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

I am sure it is related directly to it. eBay should be gearing up for the cluster that is gonna be collecting sales tax for 50 states and 1000s of cities/townships etc. When this hit the fan I actually registered a few .com domains with the subject in the title for cheap. Maybe I will get lucky and sell a few to a business or two for a nice profit to spend on some cards. :smiley:

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion this SCOTUS ruling is unconstitutional. It's creating an economic mess that our Founding Fathers absolutely did not want, and that was interference with free trade between the states.

The interesting thing is that with some new SCOTUS justices coming in, this decision could eventually get overturned.

In the meantime, I agree that Ebay is gearing up to collect sales tax in all the applicable states.

Amazon BTW already collects sales tax for Pennsylvania.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

@Mintacular said:
    Not sure if this is related to the new SC decision, or if something else. Anyone want to explain to me how this would work and/or impact card buying via eBay and elsewhere? Thanks!

If Pennsylvania sales tax was not collected on this purchase, you may be required to remit use tax directly to the Commonwealth. For more information about your use tax obligations, please visit the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue at the link below.
    Pennsylvania Use Tax

I suspect this is nothing new for the state of Pennsylvania. It’s merely an eBay CYA that you should be remitting use tax to your state on a purchase for which you did not pay sales tax on. In California, it’s always been a requirement that if you buy something from out of state for which sales tax was not paid, you are required to remit use tax to California. Most people don’t comply with this. California has now required taxpayers to disclose whether or not they have paid use tax on purchases on their individual income tax returns, so, at least in CA’s case, they are making more of an effort to try to collect from individuals.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

"If Pennsylvania sales tax was not collected on this purchase, you may be required to remit use tax directly to the Commonwealth. For more information about your use tax obligations, please visit the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue at the link below."

On my state income tax return for the state of NC it has a line for you to enter the total amount spent online that you were not charged sales tax on. That is the states way of collecting lost revenue from goods purchased online from out of state companies.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Pennsylvania has been collecting this on their tax return for a few years now. If you don't keep track of what you have bought and sold, they allow you to use their default tax calculation based on your income. I believe I read online the tables for that taxation were defined by the state of New York originally.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you take a walk they'll tax your feet.
    If you get too cold they'll tax the heat.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

I don't sell into my home state now because I don't want to be bothered with sales tax, Card sales is a hobby, I don't want to hire a tax accountant to sell some cards on EBay.

If this internet tax turns out to be a pain in the a$$, I will find another hobby.

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

@Mickey Mays said: Card sales is a hobby, I don't want to hire a tax accountant to sell some cards on EBay.

If this internet tax turns out to be a pain in the a$$, I will find another hobby.

I agree and/or another way to sell; Hello AH.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    In my opinion this SCOTUS ruling is unconstitutional. It's creating an economic mess that our Founding Fathers absolutely did not want, and that was interference with free trade between the states.

The interesting thing is that with some new SCOTUS justices coming in, this decision could eventually get overturned.

In the meantime, I agree that Ebay is gearing up to collect sales tax in all the applicable states.

Ummm...except for Ginsburg, the rest of the majority in this decision included traditionally conservative judges ruling in favor of the tax, including the deciding vote by the newest guy, Gorsuch.

Again...CONSERVATIVE JUDGES formed the majority and voted in favor of this tax.

Kennedy was part of the majority decision, also, and his replacement Kavenaugh (if confirmed) is likely going to be as conservative, if not more. Elections have consequences. I'd suppose we should all just get used to the idea of being taxed on internet sales, as it's highly unlikely that the Court would revisit the decision anytime soon, if at all.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@stevek said:

Ummm...except for Ginsburg, the rest of the majority in this decision included traditionally conservative judges ruling in favor of the tax, including the deciding vote by the newest guy, Gorsuch.

Again...CONSERVATIVE JUDGES formed the majority and voted in favor of this tax.

Kennedy was part of the majority decision, also, and his replacement Kavenaugh (if confirmed) is likely going to be as conservative, if not more. Elections have consequences. I'd suppose we should all just get used to the idea of being taxed on internet sales, as it's highly unlikely that the Court would revisit the decision anytime soon, if at all.

You're right. I hadn't checked the SCOTUS roll call on it. I guess some of them looked at this as a states issue.

Congress has the power to regulate interstate commerce. So now it's up to Congress to enact an unambiguous federal law prohibiting the restraint of free trade between the states. Something which as mentioned, that our Founding Fathers absolutely did not want to see happen.

Citizens in states where there is a use tax, didn't care about it, because virtually everybody ignored it. Well now their "tax free" internet shopping has gone right out the window. There's going to be a lot of unhappy consumers out there. As well as the current uproar from many of us who sell on the internet because of the tedious and expensive paperwork costs involved.

We shall see what happens.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Well played, Brick!

PackManInNC