Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1813 50c O-109a Single Leaf R5 Discussion

After purchasing my example which is now listed at Stacks ANA auction on August 17th https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-BJH8J - I have been contemplating the price brought by a VF20 example sold in February of this year. That fetched $5520 after all was said and done and really caught me off guard. Now we have another VF20 selling August 16th at Heritage that is already up to $650 at the time of writing this. What are everyones thoughts on this fairly newly listed variety? Why so much of a premium over the 1814 and 1817 single leaves? Do you think this will reach the level the 1812 110b single leaf has or fade to the same demand the other 2 years have shown steadily?

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the attention is simply due to the rarity of the "a" and folks don't have that variety in their collection - yet. get in on the ground floor after you see what the 8/16 coin sells for.

• Options
    Sean1990Sean1990 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

I just hope there are more than 2 people needing this variety at the ANA and some spirited bidding will take place after they see the 15 point lower example sells for! I almost wish they were both in the same auction so they could really play off of each other!

• Options

At this time it appears the 1813 109a in VF20 is at $750 before buyers premium and the VF35 is at $1600!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2018 10:05PM

My personal opinion is that these single-leaf varieties will always be curiosities. The early Mint did some strange things that later caused collector interest (overdates, striking blunders, and errant die snafus, e.g.). But lapping away detail feels less significant.

The 1814 and 1817 have some traction. They've been accepted for a while. The 1813 (and the 1812, perhaps) is an outlier. Few certified. Few sold.

A couple of years ago I paid $3770 for an MS62 O.109 which, for all practical purposes, was the LDS equivalent to a O.109a R5. On high grade specimens a trace of the 2nd leaf often shows.

I can't explain the $5,530 VF20. That's bizarre. I think of it as a $500 coin. But I've been wrong a lot lately.
    Lance.

• Options

I agree that it truly is an outlier and is a curiosity. Then again it did feel great to have this one alongside side my 1814 and 1817 single leaves. The problem was I couldn't stop wondering how complete it would feel to have the 1812 110b in the grouping as well! It seems that the interest is definitely there and the selection that PCGS has graded is too few comparatively. Once the better pieces get tucked away in collections they may fall by the wayside I think. It also appears that PCGS has gotten even stricter with giving the single leaf attribution and may stall on letting any more through for a while.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file