Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2018 National is a week away! Who's going?

TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

I'm a little surprised there's not a lot of chatter, especially since it's almost (finally) here!

I'll be there Wed-Sat. My first National in Cleveland, and fourth overall (two in Anaheim, one in Chicago).

Check in if you're going, and if you want, tell us what you'll be hunting.

I'll be looking for a couple of Brooklyn Cracker Jacks, cheap hits to my '53 Bowman Color and '55 Bowman sets, maybe chip away at a few random Dodgers sets (OPC, Bell Brand, Red Man, Post).

G

Comments

• Options

I will be there. Went to a couple as a kid in 1991 & 1992, but had not been until about 6 years ago in Baltimore & have not missed one since.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Geordie

A new thread is welcomed since it'll concentrate on that fact.

I'll be there Tues - Sat.

I was wanting to do an inexpensive rip on Fri after the PSA luncheon if people want.

I had talked about an 83T box @ about 9 bucks a pack and I was gonna "throw in" a 85T pack.

If we don't get enough people interested? We'll just cancel.

Mike
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I'll be there Thursday - Saturday. I believe the usual meeting time at the BBCE booth is 2:00 p.m.
    Mike, I'm in on the Friday rip. See you soon.
    Kevin

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

I'll be there Thursday only. Sort of looking for PSA 7+ 56's, but mostly just checking it out. It'll be my first.

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

MY first National (Fri-Sat). Looking for a graded (PSA6?) Brooks Robinson rookie and Orioles stuff in general. Orioles stuff should be dirt cheap this year, right? I also have my wife and 2 teen daughters coming to "help." (They want to meet Brooks). They will probably leave me and head for the mall early afternoon.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thursday only, will commit to Friday if nobody takes all of my money on Thursday.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2018 2:49PM

I'll be there on Thursday (possibly Wednesday evening as well, TBD). It's my first National. Will be looking for high grade vintage PSA graded Dallas Cowboys cards and raw 1964 / 1965 Philadelphia Gum football and 1969 Topps football cards to fill out my sets.

• Options
    davidlisadavidlisa Posts: 62 ✭✭

I bought the pass, live about a half hour away, looking forward to it. This will be my seventh in a row.

• Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Glad you are going again Geordie!! I think I am a Thursday only guy. We are gonna try to drive and see as much of the upper mid east (is that the correct terminology?) as possible in a week. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, possibly Detroit, but that may not get squeezed in. It's a little far for the circle we are gonna try to run.

I think this will be number 3 for me. Cleveland 2014, Chicago 2015, and Cleveland 2018. I might have those dates wrong though.

As usual, I am looking mostly for unopened 80's football and keeping an eye open for unopened Bowman football to fill in the run I have been working on and never actually pulling the trigger on. I can always grab that stuff later I tell myself :) My brother wants me to scope out PSA and BGS graded Steelers, but he backed out on going so I have a strange feeling they won't have any ;)

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2018 6:38AM

This was taken last year when we met.

I'm the old guy next to cpamike on my left and Michael on my right. 3 Mikes!

I remember some of the names but not all - Mike has a great memory - I'd like he or someone else to get the names of the people in the group?

So, is everyone OK with around 1 to 2pm at BBCEx after the PSA luncheon on Friday?

Mike
  • Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2018 7:34AM

I’m curious as to how much you guys plan to bring as far as a budget to spend at the National?

-Collecting anything vintage
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

This was taken last year when we met.

I'm the old guy next to cpamike on my left and Michael on my right. 3 Mikes!

I remember some of the names but not all - Mike has a great memory - I'd like he or someone else to get the names of the people in the group?

So, is everyone OK with around 1 to 2pm at BBCEx after the PSA luncheon on Friday?

I'm standing in the black Gibson shirt.

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

My oldest son and I will be there from Wednesday-Saturday, I believe this is 8 of the last 9 for us. I'll be looking for anything interesting to add to my Staubach and Gary Carter collections, some tough Don Meredith items that I can't seem to find and then I have a basketball/football want list I'll be working from. It's always a great time, looking forward to it!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Killing two birds with one stone. Visiting family in the area and going to the National. Problem is for a 70's Steelers collector, the pickins have been slim. Pretty baseball heavy would be my only critism.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

@CrissCriss said:
    Oh, I’ll be there. You boys wanna grab a drink?

Come on Chris - I pm'ed you to meet and say hi and you never responded.

Mike
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Have been to several however this year I have to pass because of medical reasons.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I will be there Saturday and 3rd National.

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

Wed through Fri for me. I will mainly be working on filling in a few of my raw sets. There is always Browns stuff, but I'm pretty much down to just upgrading those at this point. May pickup a few things at BBCE too for future ripping sessions!

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

Planning on being there either Wed/Thur or Thur/Fri.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of old friends and making some new ones.

Dave
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2018 5:20PM

@Stone193 said:

@CrissCriss said:

Come on Chris - I pm'ed you to meet and say hi and you never responded.

If we could take a position on the Crisser appearing I am going short.

• Options

@fiveniner said:
    Have been to several however this year I have to pass because of medical reasons.

Geez Tony - sorry to read this buddy.

I hope everything's gonna be OK.

See you next time.

Mike
  • Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

I'll be there the entire time from Tuesday through Saturday getting my fix of buying, selling, trading, ripping, and all that. Very excited about it. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ergoism said:
    I'll be there the entire time from Tuesday through Saturday getting my fix of buying, selling, trading, ripping, and all that. Very excited about it. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Yeah, I got that email :D

• Options

@ergoism said:

Have your own table Evan?

Mike
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting in early Friday am and will be there Friday and Saturday all day - bringing the entire family plus one so full boat for us. Definitely in on any group breaks at BBCE. Looking foreword to seeing everyone again - several Mike’s, a Manny, a Dave... ;)

Have we decided if we are using screen names or real names!

KC

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I will be there starting Wednesday afternoon through Saturday so going to be a full show for me. Going to be flying solo and looking forward to meeting up and looking for deals. Last year was super fun.
    Sushi aka Dave

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options

See you there Dave. Can’t wait to see some new Star basketball cards that I am sure you are packing ;)

KC

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

I'll be there Wed aft through Sunday. Looking forward to catching up with everyone and hearing about The Chrisser and his homies.

If I play my cards right, I hope to challenge Mike Hargrove to best of five rock paper scissors at the VIP event.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@Stan Pounder said:

@CrissCriss said:

I'll be there, I'll be the fat guy with his belly hanging out.

I see what you did there!

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

I will be there Wednesday to Saturday.

My first was Houston '94, Chicago '02, Anaheim '06, and Chicago '15 to now so will be 4 in a row for me.

I plan to try and do daily write-ups again like I have last couple years with pics of the show, stuff I like or think is weird, super expensive things you only see at this show and hopefully some rundown on purchases/trades I'm able to make.

I collect just about everything, but specifically will be on the lookout for a Ramly Walter Johnson, a Walter Johnson autographed baseball, just about anything US Presidents and autographs of the first two Baseball HOF classes. Oh and pretty much anything Houston Astros related.

I will also be on the lookout for anyone wearing a "Crisser" T-shirt and stand ready to buy that person a beer or two.

• Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Can't wait. Driving up from Knoxville on Wednesday and will be at the Show for the Sneak Peek, Thursday & Friday. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the PSA Lunch, and hopefully before that for beers Wednesday or Thursday evening!

This will be my 13th National since my first in 2004, which was also in Cleveland.

• Options

Mike Hargrove to best of five rock paper scissors at the VIP event.

I say - instead - Rock/Paper/Scissors/Lizard/Spock

https://youtu.be/cSLeBKT7-sM

Mike
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

Hope to see everyone at the PSA Set Registry luncheon.

• Options

I just hope enough people want to participate to be able to sell out the box? Or at least to get close?

Mike
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

I’m a ripper Mike but have zero interest in the 1983. Can’t we rip something fun??

Nikklos
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Let’s try to make a deal on the 1972 hi number Baseball box!

Nikklos
  • Options

We could break a big one and the 83 at the same time. Pick a sweet older box ;)

• Options
    edited July 27, 2018 2:39PM

Last year we did a 79T box Nik.

It's tough to get people to commit to anything that's way up there per pack.

That's why for fun - I thought the 83T box since it has 3 HOF'ers - plus I was throwing in an 85T box - pack for pack for a bit of interest at my expense. So you get an 83T and 85T pack for 9 bucks.

When we get there if anyone has any suggestions and we all agree? We can change our minds.

Thanx for your interest buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Very much appreciated Mike. I'm in again for whatever the members decide to do. If we don't get enough, maybe we could take multiple packs.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the ok from the wife...so I am attending and will be there all day on Thursday! I hope to meet some of you guys at the National in Cleveland!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Have your own table Evan?

Yes indeed Mike. I'll be at 2221. If I'm out running around spending money then my wife and/or brother will be manning my booth.

• Options

@mintonlypls said:
    I got the ok from the wife...so I am attending and will be there all day on Thursday! I hope to meet some of you guys at the National in Cleveland!

Only Thursday Monte? We are getting in early Friday am since the wife has to work with training camp starting up that weekend so she is sneaking out with us late Thursday to drive up to Cleveland. Will have to catch you in Chicago next year I guess.

KC

• Options

Hi. I will be set up at booth 2200 in Cleveland. In addition to high end graded singles (mostly PSA 10s of key rookies like Jordan, Montana, etc) this is the first year I will be displaying and selling wax. I will have both boxes and cases of 2016 Contenders and National Treasures football. I will also have BBCE wrapped boxes of 1980 Basketball, 1981 Topps football and two 1984 Topps rack boxes also wrapped by BBCE to name a few. I look forward to seeing everyone in Cleveland.
    Al

• Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    I just hope enough people want to participate to be able to sell out the box? Or at least to get close?

Is there a thread for this? I would do one.

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options

@linuxabuser said:
    I thought there was a 93 Finest break going. I'd be in on that for sure. I'm flying in, and I'll be there Wednesday - Sunday.

Hiya Tyler - they didn't have any when I called.

Mike
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

KC...

I am sorry I will miss you...but the only work day off next week is Thursday.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:36AM

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to go. Friday is the only day it is possible. My wife has a hard time being on her feet for any length of time. Cleveland is the only Nationals I've been to. Maybe she could bring a folding chair and rest as necessary. If you see an old couple who could not keep up with Tim Conway that will be us.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph