Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

GAI wax packs...

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Memory Lane has a run of 1960s wax packs in their upcoming auction...but all the packs are graded by defunct GAI. How authentic are packs that GAI graded? Serial numbers range from 100xxx 101xxx, 102xxx, 103xxx to 104xxx. Are the early numbers more legit (100, 101, 102) than later numbers (103 and 104)? How successful is it to have these GAI packs cross to PSA or even to end up in a PSA holder?

Monte

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monte not trying to derail your thread but did you pick up that Rose 10?

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

No...I didn't. Mine is an sgc-92...I just love that 10!

mint_only_pls
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do believe that the earlier numbers or more legit. I am sure Tim (Grote) will chime in but I believe that is the case. Also the later numbers are legit for the most part but I think you have to be very careful with those as they are less reliable.

Thx JB!

mint_only_pls
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I'd expect them to cross but probably at a grade lower and if gum damaged at a 6. I've had great success crossing them but you have to take a good look at the packs you're buying. It also depends why you are trying to cross them if its financial gain go ahead and cross, if you want to protect the packs condition I wouldn't cross them.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, PSA's pack holder has.... issues.

Arthur

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2018 2:18PM

The vast majority of packs in the earlier GAI holders with the silver flip are perfectly legit, but all graded packs should be evaluated based on their individual attributes and merits (or lack thereof).

Murphy and Wright were the GAI pack authenticators early on during the 100XXX and 101XXX era. I have never had a GAI pack not cross to PSA. Virtually all of my GAI packs span the 100XXX to 103XXX cert run, which I feel is when GAI was at their most reliable as pack authenticators.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Thx Grote, Reggie, and rtrimmer for sharing your info!

mint_only_pls
  • fleet47fleet47 Posts: 78 ✭✭

There are some nice GAI graded wax packs in the upcoming Memoty Lane auction.

Fleet47...

I have been looking at those packs. Thx for the heads up!

mint_only_pls
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    The vast majority of packs in the earlier GAI holders with the silver flip are perfectly legit, but all graded packs should be evaluated based on their individual attributes and merits (or lack thereof).

Murphy and Wright were the GAI pack authenticators early on during the 100XXX and 101XXX era. I have never had a GAI pack not cross to PSA. Virtually all of my GAI packs span the 100XXX to 103XXX cert run, which I feel is when GAI was at their most reliable as pack authenticators.

Mic drop :)

KC