Home Sports Talk

Four Keys To Building A Winning Organization, According To Eagles Head Coach Doug Pederson

stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2018/07/23/four-keys-to-building-a-winning-organization-according-to-eagles-head-coach-doug-pederson/#5832ed8218cb

Four Keys To Building A Winning Organization, According To Eagles Head Coach Doug Pederson

In business, leaders often use sports analogies to reinforce their messaging and important points. And why not? In sports, the scoreboard at the end of the game is void of subjectivity.

I recently had the opportunity to sit down with Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach Doug Pederson, whose team was victorious in Superbowl LII. Our 90-minute discussion ranged from his approach to leadership and culture to the critical role values and faith play in success. (Full disclosure: I’m a Broncos fan living in the heart of Eagles country.)

Pederson shared a sentiment at the end of our conversation that summed up a philosophy and approach that prioritizes the human side of leadership: “I get a feeling sometimes that people are searching for magic, as if there’s some magical salt and pepper shaker that they can sprinkle like pixie dust."

Might be time for Bill Belichick to step aside as the best head coach in the NFL.

Say "Hello" to the new best head coach in the NFL, Doug Pederson.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let him actually make the playoffs this year, I’m thinking they won’t. I know your excited Steve, honestly I’m happy for you and any other fan that gets to enjoy a championship- except for NY ofcourse. Just don’t get used to it and have your heart broken, Pederson has over a decade more of success before he can act like he has a doctorate in coaching lol

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Might be time for Bill Belichick to step aside as the best head coach in the NFL.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

I never said or would even think GOAT for Pederson over Belichick. Of course not, we all know that.

i've stated emphatically about Belichick being the GOAT in my opinion.

However right now in the year 2018, i'm taking Pederson over Belichick...and Pederson over any other current head coach.

BTW: The Super Bowl score for those keeping track is:

Pederson 1
    Belichick 0

edited July 24, 2018 10:00AM

I'll believe Doug Pederson should be in the best current coach conversation when he does it more than once. We heard the same with Sean Payton,Pete Carroll,John Harbaugh,Gary Kubiak,Mike Tomlin,Tony Dungy,Mike Mccarthy.... Tom Coughlin has been the only head coach other than Belichick to win more than one SB since BB took over in NE.

Philadelphia Eagles 1
    Belichick 1

I can cherry pick stats too. Let me know when your boy Doug makes it to seven straight conference finals while making the SB 4 out of those seven years,winning two.

I’m saying the Eagles will not make the playoffs this year.

I think they're too talented to not make the playoffs but making it back to the SB is easier said than done,especially when other NFC contenders got better this offseason. If I had to choose one NFC team making it to the SB i'm going with the Rams after adding Suh,Talib,Peters & Cooks.

@perkdog said:

Actually that comment is more applicable to the Super Bowl loser.

The trend of Super Bowl losers not making the playoffs in the following season negatively favors the Patriots.

edited July 24, 2018 11:00AM

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

The trend of Super Bowl losers not making the playoffs in the following season negatively favors the Patriots.

Oh please,NE has made seven straight AFC championship games. There's a better chance of you signing with the Eagles to play LB than there is of NE not making the playoffs coming out of the AFC East ;)

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Oh please,NE has made seven straight AFC championship games. There's a better chance of you signing with the Eagles to play LB than there is of NE not making the playoffs coming out of the AFC East

I'm not stating or predicting that the Patriots won't make the playoffs. I was just acknowledging the trend which has happened for many years. It isn't coincidence, there are many logical reasons for this trend. Including having to do with the extra wear and tear playing all those extra games, saddled with the disappointment of losing.

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Oh please,NE has made seven straight AFC championship games. There's a better chance of you signing with the Eagles to play LB than there is of NE not making the playoffs coming out of the AFC East

I'm not stating or predicting that the Patriots won't make the playoffs. I was just acknowledging the trend which has happened for many years. It isn't coincidence, there are many logical reasons for this trend. Including having to do with the extra wear and tear playing all those extra games, saddled with the disappointment of losing.

i agree but NE has shown they're the exception to the rule in this case. Like I said above i think Philly has too much talent for that to happen. Quite a few NFC teams got better this offseason though like the Rams,Vikings,49ers,Cowboys & Saints not to mention the Packers get Aaron Rodgers back from IR. Making the SB in the NFC won't be a cakewalk for whichever team it is.

NE makes it to the AFC Championship game nearly every year, let’s not even talk just making the playoffs. The Eagles have talent no doubt but they will disappoint this year in my opinion. On the other hand if the Pats miraculously don’t make the playoffs I won’t be disappointed at all, I’m happy with 5 Super Bowl Wins.

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

i agree but NE has shown they're the exception to the rule in this case. Like I said above i think Philly has too much talent for that to happen. Quite a few NFC teams got better this offseason though like the Rams,Vikings,49ers,Cowboys & Saints not to mention the Packers get Aaron Rodgers back from IR. Making the SB in the NFC won't be a cakewalk for whichever team it is.

Yes, the Patriots have been the exception but will that trend continue with Brady going to be 41 years old when the new season begins? We shall see.

Also, Bill Belichick is 66 years old and never appeared to be the fittest guy in the world. The rigors of an NFL head coach are enormous, and at 66 years old, that certainly works against you.

Paul mentioned in another thread the mistake Belichick made with benching Butler. I don't think a younger Belichick makes that mistake. That's what happens when ya get older, the mind isn't as sharp as it used to be, and events that you used to see coming and prepare for it, you don't see it coming any longer.

We shall see how this works against Belichick moving forward.

edited July 24, 2018 12:00PM

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Yes, the Patriots have been the exception but will that trend continue with Brady going to be 41 years old when the new season begins? We shall see.

Also, Bill Belichick is 66 years old and never appeared to be the fittest guy in the world. The rigors of an NFL head coach are enormous, and at 66 years old, that certainly works against you.

Paul mentioned in another thread the mistake Belichick made with benching Butler. I don't think a younger Belichick makes that mistake. That's what happens when ya get older, the mind isn't as sharp as it used to be, and events that you used to see coming and prepare for it, you don't see it coming any longer.

Belichick hasn't let out the reason why Butler was benched but here in NE there have been numerous reports that Butler missed curfew while coming back hammered and got in a physical altercation with Matt Patricia & Steven Belichick. I don't believe for one second that Belichick benched him because of Bill's age or because of the "rigors" of being an NFL coach especially when before that benching he was the head coach that coached his team to their 3rd SB in 4 years.

There is no scenario that i can see that a healthy Brady on a Belichick coached team misses the playoffs regardless of Brady being 41 & Bill 66 when we just saw 40yr old Tom win MVP & 65yr old Bill coach his team to another SB.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

that will take a lot of injuries to happen. Congratulations on your interview.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:

Dave Fechtman of Forbes wrote the article.

Yes Pederson outcoached Belichick. Yes the Eagles out played the Pats. But with all that being said the Patriots still had the game in their hands with 2:00 minutes or so left. That is until it was stripped out of their hands. Funny game

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Belichick hasn't let out the reason why Butler was benched but here in NE there have been numerous reports that Butler missed curfew while coming back hammered and got in a physical altercation with Matt Patricia & Steven Belichick. I don't believe for one second that Belichick benched him because of Bill's age or because of the "rigors" of being an NFL coach especially when before that benching he was the head coach that coached his team to their 3rd SB in 4 years.

There is no scenario that i can see that a healthy Brady on a Belichick coached team misses the playoffs regardless of Brady being 41 & Bill 66 when we just saw 40yr old Tom win MVP & 65yr old Bill coach his team to another SB.

A Vince Lombardi, etc, would have definitely played Butler, especially in the Super Bowl. Lombardi didn't give a chit what happened off the field, just what his players could do to win football games on the field.

What "mistakes" Belichick makes this upcoming season to prevent the Patriots from achieving a Super Bowl win...we shall see.

@Kkathyl said:

Yes, it's nice seeing Pederson get interviewed like this in a non-sports venue. Of course the Forbes readers being business people, will perhaps gleam some tips from Pederson that they can use for success in the business world.

@Justacommeman said:

@Kkathyl said:

Dave Fechtman of Forbes wrote the article.

Yes Pederson outcoached Belichick. Yes the Eagles out played the Pats. But with all that being said the Patriots still had the game in their hands with 2:00 minutes or so left. That is until it was stripped out of their hands. Funny game

m

It was a great game.

Without a doubt the greatest football game of all time. Greatest there ever was, greatest there ever will be. ;)

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

A Vince Lombardi, etc, would have definitely played Butler, especially in the Super Bowl. Lombardi didn't give a chit what happened off the field, just what his players could do to win football games on the field.

What "mistakes" Belichick makes this upcoming season to prevent the Patriots from achieving a Super Bowl win...we shall see.

Yeah good luck with that one. I'm surprised you didn't give your "Doug Pederson is the new best coach in the league" hot take the ultimate kiss of death with a stevek stone cold lock. Some of us are still waiting for the Giants to pick that QB with the 2nd pick prediction you made. :p

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Yeah good luck with that one. I'm surprised you didn't give your "Doug Pederson is the new best coach in the league" hot take the ultimate kiss of death with a stevek stone cold lock. Some of us are still waiting for the Giants to pick that QB with the 2nd pick prediction you made. :p

The Giants made the wrong pick.

When the Giants finish around 5-11 or 6-10 or whatever, and miss the playoffs for the next several seasons, you'll see that I was correct.

Frankly, I'm glad the Giants mistakenly made that pick. The last thing i want in my Eagles division is a strong Giants team. With the Giants front office not understanding fundamental draft principles, and Jerry Jones being the inept owner that he is, and Daniel Snyder being the incompetent owner that he is...it's smooth sailing for my Eagles for the foreseeable future in the NFC East.

Having an easy time of it in the NFC East, means a nice fresh Eagles team each season headed into the playoffs, hopefully with a bye and home field advantage.

Steve you live in your own little world when it comes to your football predictions. A case can be made for all three of the Giants,Cowboys & Skins all being better than they were last year.

@erikthredd said:
    Steve you live in your own little world when it comes to your football predictions. A case can be made for all three of the Giants,Cowboys & Skins all being better than they were last year.

If Wentz stays healthy, the Eagles will again win the NFC East, and it's a very easy call.

i've stated before and we all know how tough it is to repeat as Super Bowl champs. However with arguably the best up and coming QB in the game today, the finest coaching staff, and motivated players who want to taste the fruits of victory again, there's no reason that the Eagles won't be a major factor in the upcoming NFL season quest for a Super Bowl victory.

If that's my "own little world" I'm lovin' it. LOL

edited July 24, 2018 2:21PM

You remind of Red Sox fans in 2004 telling everyone how Terry Francona was the best manager in baseball because he beat Joe Torre's Yankees then won the World Series. That one WS win at the time somehow trumped Torre's four WS championships.

As for Wentz,I wouldn't say he's is the best up and coming QB in the game when he hasn't even played a single playoff game yet. Lets see how he does having to play a much tougher schedule than that easy schedule that Philly had last year coming off a 7-9 /4th in the NFCE season from the year before. Part of the reasoning that goes with most teams not making the playoffs coming off a SB trip is these teams now have to play a legit #1 seed type of schedule.

Wentz needs to realize he is not Superman and he will get hurt if he keeps running and playing recklessly when not necessary. Wentz will not be 100% at the start of the season FACT.

@perkdog said:
    Wentz needs to realize he is not Superman and he will get hurt if he keeps running and playing recklessly when not necessary. Wentz will not be 100% at the start of the season FACT.

Basically my only criticism of Doug Pederson has been playing Wentz too much.

Yes we all know there is a fine line sometimes between letting an NFL QB gain experience versus playing him too much and making him more susceptible to injury. Pederson in my view has crossed that line of playing Wentz too much on a number of occasions. Wentz did have injury issues coming out of college which Pederson well knows.

Of course Pederson needed to impress Jeff Lurie or he would be out of there. We all understand that NFL coaches are hired to eventually be fired. So playing Wentz and trying to win games at all costs in Pederson's mind was perhaps his only option.

All that being said, it is what it is, and it's spilled milk. Wentz got injured late in the season, but Foles came in and won a Super Bowl. So I will never forget the magnificent job that Pederson, Wentz, Foles, and the rest of the 2017 Eagles team did for Philadelphia. The Eagles 2017 Super Bowl victory is etched in stone.

All that being said, it's a new season coming, with September just around the corner. Time to try to win another Super Bowl. The best way to do that is play Wentz the right way, limit his passing throughout the game so he's not taking as many hits. The game plan of course needs to be to win the game, but it also needs to be keeping Wentz injury free - both are a priority.

Well said Steve, I have to say I agree with you on all points.

Steve Young was the poster child for QB concussions from running. The most brutal hit I think I’ve ever seen was the one Joe Montana took from Leanard Marshall, I saw that happen in real time and it was blood curdling. Wentz is young and is motivated to be a great QB which is great but he needs to be more careful, he will mature and play smarter I bet.

Who knows how NE's future plays out if Bledsoe runs out of bounds 3 or 4 yards short of where he got hit by Mo Lewis.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNzd9Xd0who

@perkdog said:
    Steve Young was the poster child for QB concussions from running. The most brutal hit I think I’ve ever seen was the one Joe Montana took from Leanard Marshall, I saw that happen in real time and it was blood curdling. Wentz is young and is motivated to be a great QB which is great but he needs to be more careful, he will mature and play smarter I bet.

Wentz definitely is highly intelligent. I knew nothing about him until I saw him on that Gruden QB camp show, which i really enjoyed watching each season while it was on. Wentz's passing was superb, hitting the right shoulder on every pass. However most of them usually do look good on that show with no pass rush.

The key on that show was evaluating how quick they picked up Gruden's play instructions on the chalkboard. Wentz picked it up better and faster than any QB I ever saw on that show. I recall a few "slow learner" QB's on that show and knew they were never going to succeed in the NFL, despite their athletic talent. It was obvious to me that Wentz was a gem, and although i've never seen it mentioned in public, i'm sure the Eagles watched that show as well, and then decided to trade up to get Wentz.

Look at a guy like Montana, not the most gifted athletically but he had the brains and a big heart. Wentz reminds me of the brains and heart of Montana. I have no doubt that if Wentz can stay injury free, he can help bring more Super Bowls to Philly. Of course staying injury free is a big key in the NFL. Coming off an ACL tear is a serious matter. We shall see how Wentz recuperates.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Doug Pederson appears to have success written all over him. The only problem is that he has taken a job in a city where the front office has made some horrible player decisions over the years. I think he can do a quality job for the Birds, but I'm not so sure his bosses can do a good job for him. Look at all the coaches who left that place, and their reasons for it. I can see Doug Pederson taking a job in another city in another two to three years easily.

This right here. He could win a second super bowl and still get run out of town by front office morons :D

@bronco2078 said:

@1970s said:
    Doug Pederson appears to have success written all over him. The only problem is that he has taken a job in a city where the front office has made some horrible player decisions over the years. I think he can do a quality job for the Birds, but I'm not so sure his bosses can do a good job for him. Look at all the coaches who left that place, and their reasons for it. I can see Doug Pederson taking a job in another city in another two to three years easily.

This right here. He could win a second super bowl and still get run out of town by front office morons :D

Jeff Lurie has actually been a quite excellent, extremely competent owner. Andy Reid coached the Eagles for 14 years. Then Chip Kelly was given every opportunity to succeed, including his own draft picks, and miserably failed on his own, not due to any front office problem.

Doug Pederson will very likely be with the Eagles for a long time. I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the NFL today.