Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bought a Collection for First time (68-84) Update #3, 71 high numbers, wacky packages, 64 giants

shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
edited September 3, 2018 4:55AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

So from a local neighbor I purchased their childhood into their early 20s collection. Appears to be about 7-8000 cards. Haven't come close to even fully going through it, but it looks like about 500 1968s, maybe a few hundred total 69-71s, and then about 600 72 -74s each, and then full hand collated sets from 76-79, and purchased sets from Renata Galasso still in the brown shipping boxes from 79-84 or so.

lots of mid grade, some lower, as expected cards from someone's youth with condition getting better as it gets newer. only looked through it for 20 minutes and it'll take a while to really go through it all. Paid a fair price for both of us i think
and gives me a fun project for a while and hopefully find some goodies in there.

I'll update this thread as I make some progress and share what I find

Comments

• Options

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds fun!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Good luck. I suspect you have a few good surprises in the collection. Very doable and fun project.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2018 6:32AM

Looking forward to the the updates. Enjoy the hunt.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck! Hope you find some great cards in the bunch.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Anytime you can buy a collection that is the majority 70's card is a good sign. 90% of collections for sale generally don't have much of the older stuff.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve always wanted to do what you’re doing. Opportunity hasn’t presented itself

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Long before there were set boxes, there were Velveeta cheese boxes! The cards in there have to be awesome!

• Options

^lol, yeah i didn't even see it initially last night when the seller helped me load the car. I literally have no idea what's inside the velveeta box.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    Long before there were set boxes, there were Velveeta cheese boxes! The cards in there have to be awesome!

Yep! I can't even recall how I came about realizing that the Velveeta boxes were the perfect dimensions to hold cards, but in my early years of collecting, many, many of my extras came to be stored in them until I finally splurged for 800 count and monster boxes.

• Options
    PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Did you already know the neighbor and that's how you got in contact to purchase the cards? I think this would be fun to do just to look through the cards alone!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Good stuff. :)

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wanted to chime in and say that I always get a smile when I hear the name "Renata Galasso". Bought a lot of cards from her back in the day and loved reading the catalogs and Baseball Hobby Card Report magazine.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like it will be fun to go through.

Good luck. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@countdouglas said:

@detroitfan2 said:

Yep! I can't even recall how I came about realizing that the Velveeta boxes were the perfect dimensions to hold cards, but in my early years of collecting, many, many of my extras came to be stored in them until I finally splurged for 800 count and monster boxes.

OMG I am embarrassed, I still use Velveeta boxes. My on and off again GF always makes this dip which is just Velveeta and Rotel.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

ok, so first update!

opened up the velveeta box. thought about saving it for last, but couldn't resist with the cheese box interest.

The box was mostly a dud, looked like some random "newer" stuff he had bought like 87 topps and a bunch of the Galasso Greats cards.

I did find this little fun nugget that I didn't know anything about. Apparently its a 1910-1912 Tris Speaker Sweet Carporal pin. Not super valuable - maybe $75-$100 but appears to be in decent shape. Doesn't seem terribly uncommon but a nice first random item:

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off to a good start.

• Options

Off to a great start at the races. :)

• Options

That is a nice start, but you never mentioned what you paid.

What is does show is that they haven't been cherry picked, which is the key.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nolan "and" Johnny x 2?

Yahtzee!

Mike
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

great start!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

OP, you are way too calm!

:D

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Good stuff!

• Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

This is my kind of party.

• Options
    edited July 25, 2018 2:23PM

"OP, you are way too calm!"

lol trust me, i'm enjoying it! i have a newborn and a young kid and i have to sneak out into the 100 degree garage after they're asleep and slowly going through the 68s like a kid in the candy store. I'm trying to not rush through it all to draw out the fun a while!

• Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

yeah, I would have went through it all last night and went to work with no sleep today haha

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from the scan, however the second Koosman rookie may be an MB. Would have to see the back.

@shu4040 said:
    Next, I moved on to working through the 68s.

There are a lot more than i thought for 68. 69-71s are in rough shape so I'm thinking he bought a big lot of 68s at one point (some other clues), anyway. This update might end up being the high point, but it's a nice one

Here's Johnny!

and here's his friend, Jerry! (top one has a rough crease through Nolan, 2nd is pretty solid. probably a 4. maybe a 5 on a good day?)

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Hope there's more where this came from. Kudos.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2018 9:21AM

A fun and some bizarre update to day 2!

So i figured out the structure of the boxes better, one is all of the singles in a set by year, and the other is all dupes but generally organized by team. There was also a little old note/sign saying, "old baseball cards 10 cents each" which makes me believe he had them out at a show or garage sale etc at some point.

In this second box, it did seem like a lot of the super stars had been picked through (Mays, Aaron, etc) BUT that is also where i found the 2nd Ryan, so maybe it was picked through in the mid 70s before Nolan really become Nolan???

Apparently, he had purchased or somehow acquired these lots of single players:

and the rare bearded Vada Pinson!

• Options

• Options
    edited July 26, 2018 9:21AM

I was lucky though that he did have a few stars in there, pretty fun to see among the Vada's!

Anyway need any low grade Bob Gibsons or Tom Seavers, i'm your guy!!

• Options

That basically gets me through 68 for now, so I started into 69. As i mentioned 69-71 were much less in number 100-200 per year and rougher shape. I think he must have got a big lot of 68s at some point.

First the rare early traded cards: :)

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big fan of the Vada with a beard variation :D

• Options

Next, the big pulls form 69. Unfortunately rougher shape, but pretty neat to find in the pile.

Unfortunately, someone didn't like the mick too much but great anytime to get a Mantle and a reggie!!

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

LOL! That was my first thought too!

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2018 9:43AM

@lahmejoon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

LOL! That was my first thought too!

Same here, I was hoping for a Carew beard variation, I'm in desperate need of that one for my "Topps All-Star Rookies With Beards" set registry!

• Options

"Same here, I was hoping for a Carew beard variation, I'm in desperate need of that one!"

lol for a nominal price, i bet i could "find" one tonight :)

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Hard to tell from the scan, however the second Koosman rookie may be an MB. Would have to see the back.

@shu4040 said:

There are a lot more than i thought for 68. 69-71s are in rough shape so I'm thinking he bought a big lot of 68s at one point (some other clues), anyway. This update might end up being the high point, but it's a nice one

Here's Johnny!

and here's his friend, Jerry! (top one has a rough crease through Nolan, 2nd is pretty solid. probably a 4. maybe a 5 on a good day?)

The second one is not a MB. If it were a MB it would be solid white on the left side and not a single white line.

• Options

@maddux69 said:

@dan89 said:

@shu4040 said:

Here's Johnny!

The second one is not a MB. If it were a MB it would be solid white on the left side and not a single white line.

What is MB?

Thanks, BC

• Options
    edited July 26, 2018 12:49PM

@Cakes said:

@maddux69 said:

@dan89 said:

@shu4040 said:

Here's Johnny!

What is MB?

Thanks, BC

Milton Bradley

ETA: A primer - http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/a-tale-of-the-yellow-back-1968-milton-bradley-set/ or there's a couple hundred threads debating them here.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only way to really tell is to see the back and the color of yellow. The line is not 100% and I have seen many with a single line that are indeed MB

• Options

I checked the backs of the ryans and benches last night too and they were all the same, which made me think that it's not MB.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@Cakes said:

@maddux69 said:

@dan89 said:

@shu4040 said:

Here's Johnny!

What is MB?

Thanks, BC

Milton Bradley

ETA: A primer - http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/a-tale-of-the-yellow-back-1968-milton-bradley-set/ or there's a couple hundred threads debating them here.

Thanks Larkin, this entire time I always thought it was an inside joke!

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Just curious, is the MB version worth more? Congrats on the collection purchase. Everything I tend to see is late 80s, 90s.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@shu4040 said:
    "Same here, I was hoping for a Carew beard variation, I'm in desperate need of that one!"

lol for a nominal price, i bet i could "find" one tonight :)

whats the carew beard variation ?

• Options

@ldferg said:
    Just curious, is the MB version worth more? Congrats on the collection purchase. Everything I tend to see is late 80s, 90s.

It was at one time. Since PSA quit differentiating between the two, I have no idea.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@ldferg said:

It was at one time. Since PSA quit differentiating between the two, I have no idea.

Bro...when did Psa stop differentiating MB?