This would have been quite a match.

https://youtu.be/fuX7FlddCRg

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Actually, no.

Ali could have knocked Wilt out in any round he wanted.

True story about Jim Brown and Ali sort of jokingly/seriously talking about doing it. Brown was much more serious than Ali about doing it. (paraphrasing the story) The two men were alone talking about it, Ali standing up says to Brown go ahead and hit me. Brown was reluctant, bare knuckles and all, but Ali was relentless saying go ahead and hit me. Brown finally said okay and took a few gentle swings at Ali and missed wildly, then Brown put his mind to it and took some serious swings at Ali, also missing wildly. Then...Ali countered and easily jabbed hard on Brown's forehead a few times.

Brown knew instantly that Ali could have seriously hurt him if Ali desired by a punch to the chin or temple, but Ali so playfully and easily hit Brown on the forehead, that Brown immediately gave up the idea of ever fighting Ali in a match.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

But he couldn't take down a Gorilla! ;)

https://youtu.be/YalhAclq9y4?t=1m6s

• Options

There's also Ali's infamous fight against Antonio Inoki that left Ali with badly damaged legs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh6piq2zWws

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2018 12:45AM

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

Actually, no.

Ali could have knocked Wilt out in any round he wanted.

Ali would have been calling for Angelo's towel after 3. Wilt was no Chuck Nevitt. He was a Goliath.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    There's also Ali's infamous fight against Antonio Inoki that left Ali with badly damaged legs:

If Inoki would have stayed on his feet instead of acting like a fool with the kicking crap.....Ali would have cleaned his clock in the first or second round.

• Options

Any non boxer would have been a fool to get in the ring with Ali.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

Case closed.

Frankly, Wilt or Jim Brown wouldn't have even beat a journeyman heavyweight, let alone the GOAT.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Case closed.

Frankly, Wilt or Jim Brown wouldn't have even beat a journeyman heavyweight, let alone the GOAT.

Jim Brown was 6 foot 2..an inch shorter than the Champ. No size advantage and a huge pugilistic disadvantage. Wilt would stung Ali like a hornet.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

which version of Star Trek do you guys like best? Cuz thats pretty much the level we are at now :s

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    which version of Star Trek do you guys like best? Cuz thats pretty much the level we are at now :s

Those green alien women really did it for me. I was quite attracted to them.

Not sure why, perhaps because green is the Eagles color.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

i plan on participating again when we decide to drop our britches and start measuring

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@bronco2078 said:

i plan on participating again when we decide to drop our britches and start measuring

no crossing swords though or I'm out

• Options
    edited July 24, 2018 4:51PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Tabe said:

If Inoki would have stayed on his feet instead of acting like a fool with the kicking crap.....Ali would have cleaned his clock in the first or second round.

The rules basically forced him to be off his feet - no throws, grapples, tackles, and no kicking unless one knee was on the mat. And "acting like a fool"? One guy came out of the fight with severely injured legs. The other guy came out completely unscathed. You can probably guess which is which.

And the idea that Ali would have cleaned his clock is laughable. No boxer stands a chance against a wrestler in any situation where grappling, takedowns, or submissions are allowed.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Case closed.

Jim Brown was 6 foot 2..an inch shorter than the Champ. No size advantage and a huge pugilistic disadvantage. Wilt would stung Ali like a hornet.

LOL.....Ali would have been on Wilt like stink on you know what!> @Tabe said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Tabe said:

The rules basically forced him to be off his feet. And "acting like a fool"? One guy came out of the fight with severely injured legs. The other guy came out completely unscathed. You can probably guess which is which.

And the idea that Ali would have cleaned his clock is laughable. No boxer stands a chance against a wrestler in any situation where grappling, takedowns, or submissions are allowed.

How many times do you think Ali would have tagged him coming for any wrestler move. I'll take Ali against this fool any day in a stand up fight.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

How many times do you think Ali would have tagged him coming for any wrestler move. I'll take Ali against this fool any day in a stand up fight.

Key words there being "stand up fight". Of course Ali would have the big advantage in a stand-up fight.

How many times would Ali have tagged Inoki coming in "for any wrestler move"? None. Knowing that Ali had no clue how to stop a takedown of any kind, Inoki would have gone super-low, beneath where Ali could throw any kind of powerful punch. He'd have been on his back immediately and it would have been all over from there.

Put another way - in every single boxer vs wrestler fight where wrestlers have been allowed to ... wrestle ... the wrestler has been victorious. For some famous examples, see Takada vs Berbick, Billy Scott vs James Warring, or Kiyoshi Tamura vs Matthew Saad Muhammad.

• Options

Marquess of Queensberry rules of course state you can't hit a boxer when he is down. The Japanese fighter took advantage of that.

I would think in a no holds barred match, that when the Japanese fighter was on his back which he was for most of the fight, that Ali at the right time could have quickly flanked him, circled around and popped him hard a number of times on his head. Eventually or possibly quickly with a knockout.

I'm not familiar with the other bouts mentioned, but if they were no holds barred, it would certainly be much more interesting than this Ali match which was a dreadful bore.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Case closed.

Following the logic here, lifetime political wonk Hillary should have her feet up on the oval office desk.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Case closed.

Following the logic here, lifetime political wonk Hillary should have her feet up on the oval office desk.

??????????

• Options

...reality star had no chance of becoming president with no political experience.

Take a look at the image I posted above. Chamberlain connects once and it is lights out.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

It is a good thing Randy couture and Ali were not contemporaries. Couture would have destroyed Ali and it wouldn't have been close

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It is a good thing Randy couture and Ali were not contemporaries. Couture would have destroyed Ali and it wouldn't have been close

like Connor Mcwhats his face a few months ago ? Ya that didn't happen.

It feels like April fools day fell on groundhog day and we are trapped in another dimension for all eternity now

• Options

The Connor fight was a boxing match. In a mma fight they would still be picking little pieces of Mayweather up of the floor. In an mma fight, couture would dismantle ali, probably in the first round and most likely cause him life altering injuries in the process. Ali or any other boxer was not a well rounded fighter. He had great reflexes, speed and could punch. That limited skill set gets you destroyed against a grapler or mm a fighter.

• Options

What if Ali got in the ring with Jimmy Connors then? Would ALi win if he had to hit him with a tennis racket?

What if we dressed Randy Coture up in goalie pads could he stop Mario Lemiuex on a penalty shot? If Randy felt like it he could have invented the light bulb I suppose , or wrote a better symphony than Beethoven.

Its bad enough when you bozos compare Tom Brady to some QB from 1901 and say the long dead guy no one remembers is better , but now we are comparing people from completely different sports , occupations or whatever and saying the guy who can't do something is actually better because he is your hero? Because thats a thing now right?

Han Solo could beat Gandalf in a spelling bee . I typed it so it must be true because I said so. The fact that they are both imaginary persons doesn't matter because I'm a special snowflake .

• Options

What in the world are you talking about? That was incoherent.

• Options

The OP was about two athletes from different sports fighting. Ali would have destroyed Wilt or brown in a boxing match. Coture is not my "hero". Just an example i used. Ali would just as easily loose to tito ortiz, stipe miocic, daniel Cormier at any number of mixed martial artist s. His skill set as a fighter is just too limited. Any good grappler could beat him

• Options

I think Annie Oakley beats all of them, even six at a time. ;)

• Options

@craig44 said:
    The OP was about two athletes from different sports fighting. Ali would have destroyed Wilt or brown in a boxing match. Coture is not my "hero". Just an example i used. Ali would just as easily loose to tito ortiz, stipe miocic, daniel Cormier at any number of mixed martial artist s. His skill set as a fighter is just too limited. Any good grappler could beat him

Comparing Wilt to Brown in regards to fighting Ali is ridiculous. Wilt's reach and height makes up for his lack of boxing experience. Brown had the brawn and strength of Ali but no ring experience and no size advantage.

As a middleweight would get destroyed by a heavyweight, same is true of a man nearly a foot taller with a significant reach advantage.

If Chamberlain were a non athlete, he would likely be defeated. He was though, a skilled and dominant competitor in the most athletic of team sports.

• Options

@craig44 said:

I'm pretty sure the OP was glicker goofing around posting a cool picture , then some bored posters started to speculate wildly based on nothing about something that never took place .

We get it you think Ali would be a pushover for some MMA nobody who when he isn't rolling around on the mat with his face smushed between some other guys butt cheeks works part time at Burger King sweeping the parking lot.

MMA used to be on PPV for 40$ a pop now its on a channel that 18 people watch in the entire world. Its fake news .

Is there anyway we can drag pete rose and/or the hall of fame into the thread?

• Options

Has nothing to do with the popularity of mma. If you truly believe a boxer, even world clsss, could consistently beat a mixed martial artist, you know very little about combat sports.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    What if Ali got in the ring with Jimmy Connors then? Would ALi win if he had to hit him with a tennis racket?

What if we dressed Randy Coture up in goalie pads could he stop Mario Lemiuex on a penalty shot? If Randy felt like it he could have invented the light bulb I suppose , or wrote a better symphony than Beethoven.

Its bad enough when you bozos compare Tom Brady to some QB from 1901 and say the long dead guy no one remembers is better , but now we are comparing people from completely different sports , occupations or whatever and saying the guy who can't do something is actually better because he is your hero? Because thats a thing now right?

Han Solo could beat Gandalf in a spelling bee . I typed it so it must be true because I said so. The fact that they are both imaginary persons doesn't matter because I'm a special snowflake .

This is the best post on this thread. Stop comparing people in different sports. The wrestler vs. boxer is especially stupid, as the rules of each sport do not allow for a contest between the two. In any sport the rules MUST be the same for each player/team.

Saying Chamberlain had a chance against Ali is idiotic, only an imbecile could think there was a chance of that!

I would take Gandalf over Solo though!!!!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

At the least, Howard Cosell could outwit all athletes so far named.

• Options

Didn't Shaq fight Oscar DeLahoya a few years back?

• Options

@stevek said:
    Marquess of Queensberry rules of course state you can't hit a boxer when he is down. The Japanese fighter took advantage of that.

I would think in a no holds barred match, that when the Japanese fighter was on his back which he was for most of the fight, that Ali at the right time could have quickly flanked him, circled around and popped him hard a number of times on his head. Eventually or possibly quickly with a knockout.

You'd be wrong. In a no holds barred fight, Ali would have gotten destroyed. Boxing is really, really, really limited in those conditions.

I'm not familiar with the other bouts mentioned, but if they were no holds barred, it would certainly be much more interesting than this Ali match which was a dreadful bore.

They weren't "no holds barred" but were basically MMA.

Again, in a stand-up/boxing match, Ali wins over all but a handful people who have ever lived. In a fight where grappling and submissions are allowed, there are literally thousands, if not tens of thousands, of people who would beat him.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

You'd be wrong. In a no holds barred fight, Ali would have gotten destroyed. Boxing is really, really, really limited in those conditions.

Again, in a stand-up/boxing match, Ali wins over all but a handful people who have ever lived. In a fight where grappling and submissions are allowed, there are literally thousands, if not tens of thousands, of people who would beat him.

This may be true, but you act like the MMA guy has a free lane into Ali. I think he would pay a heavy price coming in as Ali would tag him with some heavy punches. That alone would probably stop a lot of advances.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

This may be true, but you act like the MMA guy has a free lane into Ali. I think he would pay a heavy price coming in as Ali would tag him with some heavy punches. That alone would probably stop a lot of advances.

You're wrong. I don't know how to put it any other way. Exactly how would Ali "tag him with some heavy punches"? As I said before, the MMA guy would go so low - knees and lower - that Ali simply wouldn't be able to hit him with any force. And it would be so fast, he'd be able to swing once, twice tops. Then he's on his back, all power in his punches is gone, and it's an inevitability from there.

• Options

:)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

If you watch much MMA you will see that a good grapplers shoot is incredibly fast and violent. The only effective ways to stop a shoot is to sprawl or attempt a double underhook defense. Trying to time an uppercut to defend against the shoot is futile and will leave you in terrible position when it fails. That is why you don't see guys trying it.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

If you watch much MMA you will see that a good grapplers shoot is incredibly fast and violent. The only effective ways to stop a shoot is to sprawl or attempt a double underhook defense. Trying to time an uppercut to defend against the shoot is futile and will leave you in terrible position when it fails. That is why you don't see guys trying it.

I don't even know what a "grapplers shoot" is...…...so I better stop arguing about something I know nothing about.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2018 4:13PM

I'm pretty sure being knowledgeable is not a prerequisite for sharing a strong opinion round these parts. Otherwise no one would post about cheez wiz being inappropriate for a philly cheese steak.

ETA: Andre the Giant would have destroyed Ali in a proper boxing match.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

<<< You'd be wrong. In a no holds barred fight, Ali would have gotten destroyed. Boxing is really, really, really limited in those conditions. >>>

My point was predicated on if the Japanese guy would have used the same strategy in a no holds barred fight.

I watched the video, the Japanese guy at times got Ali in a bad predicament a few times, but it was broken up by the ref. So evidently grappling in that contest wasn't allowed.

That joke of a contest was obviously just a money making venture to display Ali in another light. The rules were clearly setup to make sure Ali did not get hurt. Although i don't think Ali expected those constant leg kicks thrashing at him for 15 rounds.

Ali probably would have liked to have ended the contest at the end of the first round, but Ali wasn't a quitter so he persevered thru 15 rounds of that nonsense.

i recall Mike Tyson stating in his prime as only Tyson with his classless mouth could say (paraphrase) "I could sell tickets to masturbate in the middle of the ring in Madison Square Garden and it would be a sell out." Ali should have just done that instead...it would have been a lot easier. LOL

• Options

My question is on the fight with the Japanese guy...…….why didn't Ali kick the fool when he was down! Then maybe just maybe the fool would have stayed up. In which case Ali would have taken him to school!

That contest was a joke!!

• Options

Another thing.......I don't know about MMA.....but wrestling is not real and is a joke and always has been.

Also, if Ali got to play by the same rules as his opponent don't you think he is as quick and strong as they are. A heavyweight fighter like Ali is not a wimp. Just saying.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Another thing.......I don't know about MMA.....but wrestling is not real and is a joke and always has been.

Also, if Ali got to play by the same rules as his opponent don't you think he is as quick and strong as they are. A heavyweight fighter like Ali is not a wimp. Just saying

MMA guys are invisible like ninjas , thats how they would beat Ali. But seriously , put one of these dummies in the ring with Ali or Frazier or Tyson in their prime and maybe they can take the champ down with some grappling or whatever but no one in MMA can punch like a real fighter . One punch from a real boxer lands and its over.

Now if you are talking 20 years ago like UFC 1 2 3 etc. era then that was pretty interesting but watching 2 guys sniff each others bum for 20 minutes is how they roll now and televised MMA is on its 14th minute of fame stick a fork in it.

• Options

Dimeman, we are talking about real grappling like Greco Roman or Brazilian ju jitsu. Not wwf stuff.

Also, a "shoot" is when a grappler dives, rushes in hitting his opponent low, almost like a football tackle.

Ali most definitely was not a wimp. His skill set was just far too limited to defend against a well rounded fighter

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    My question is on the fight with the Japanese guy...…….why didn't Ali kick the fool when he was down! Then maybe just maybe the fool would have stayed up. In which case Ali would have taken him to school!

Why didn't he kick? The rules were that you could only kick with one knee on the ground.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Why didn't he kick? The rules were that you could only kick with one knee on the ground.

One of the stupidest exhibitions in the history of sports. Just like much of this post.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

@DIMEMAN said:

One of the stupidest exhibitions in the history of sports. Just like much of this post.

You may have never been in a Philly sports bar - sometimes it gets much worse than this.

But if somebody is buying a round of drinks, I'm always willing to hear whatever they have to say. LOL

• Options

DUH...........I'll take the Incredible Hulk against all these guys.