Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Import charges of US coins from Canada?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a gold US coin from a Canadian seller; I didn't realize there may be import charges as he asked me what value to assign?

Comments

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of that. I thought there might have been when going from US to Canada imposed by Canada. But have not heard the other way around unless it's something new.

Could the seller have misunderstood?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Coins and bullion are duty-free into US, but need to be cleared through US Customs. How is it being shipped, mail, FedEx /UPS, etc.?

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also have him mark it as US Goods returning.

Years ago I bought a piece of Jewellery in the Caribbean that was just over the $300 limit and the Customs officer (pre ICE) pointed out that as the manufacturer was in the US, it was duty free US Goods.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forwarded that suggestion to him late in the day, but being Canada he had already shipped out of his post office as they were open.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting topic !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I bought a gold US coin from a Canadian seller; I didn't realize there may be import charges as he asked me what value to assign?

Customs forms require value. This is NOT directly the same as import duties being levied. It is how they decide whether to levy duties, but even if the specific item is duty free the shipper has to assign the value.

I'm shipping out of the U.S., but the same issue applies. I constantly get requests to misstate the value or mark it as a gift or "documents only" - which I will not do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file