Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1969 Topps Lew Alcindor: Predict the grade

JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Just picked up a 69 Topps Lew Alcindor. Wanted to get some opinions from the board on how you think it might grade.

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 7:16PM

I would say 5 with a shot at a 6 unless there is a hidden crease that we cannot see. The back looks a little light to me but maybe that is normal. Those two bottom corners is what brings down. Good luck with the grading. Here is my Alcindor rookie in a PSA 6.

[IMG]https://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/JBrules/kareem-abdul-jabbar-collection-large/30584/1969-lew-alcindor-psa-6[/IMG]

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Psa 4.5

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 or 6

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

No comment on the grade but it presents very well. Congrats on a awesome card!

Kevin

Kevin

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

If no surface issues, 6. Cool card. Congrats!

Andy

Andy

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking a PSA 5.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2018 7:24AM

I've looked at every Kareem rookie PSA 7 or less to hit eBay in the past year. I've seen similar looking cards in 5-6 slabs. There's a lot of real estate so it's all going to boil down to the surface. My guess is a 5, assuming everything checks out okay.

Arthur

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Put me down for a 6. I love this card and that’s a really nice one!

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say five contingent on if there is a crease or bend. On the picture of the reverse, if you look at the 'basketball' going into the hoop, there's something going on around eight o'clock. Maybe an indentation?

Daniel
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Five and a half :#

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice card, especially the centering. It would have been a blazer with nicer corners. I would say 5.5.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    I'll say five contingent on if there is a crease or bend. On the picture of the reverse, if you look at the 'basketball' going into the hoop, there's something going on around eight o'clock. Maybe an indentation?

I see that now. Is it an indentation?

Arthur

• tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Sorry, I'm guessing a 3.5-4.5; psa has been brutal on corner wear lately. And it is a very nice card; if you sell I'm sure you can get a premium.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

i vote 5

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2018 2:11PM

@tonylags said:
    Sorry, I'm guessing a 3.5-4.5; psa has been brutal on corner wear lately. And it is a very nice card; if you sell I'm sure you can get a premium.

Yep .. I send in 100+ year old tobacco cards with corners like those and get 5’s.

Even if you get a low 4-5 grade guys would bid high!

6-7 years ago I’d say:

Psa 6

Chaz

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭

I think 5 but hopefully a 6

good luck with it

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

psa 5.5

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

All 4 corners with wear but presents nicely with no other obvious defects. I'd say classic 5. If it wasn't the Alcindor might have a shot at 6 but they hammer vintage star cards.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

Probably a 5, but fingers crossed for a 6!!