Home Sports Talk

Moving day for Woods.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

One back. plenty of congestion at the top of the leaderboard.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve watched almost every hole and shot since Thursday. His small ball tactics have worked great. I can only remember him pulling out the driver once or maybe twice. Psyched for tomorrow. Jordan looks like the guy to beat

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm a Spieth guy, but i'm not going to sit here and bang the drum. if he wins, all the murmuring will stop and pantheon talk will resume. if he doesn't, the murmuring will continue. there's really no in between.

do not sleep on Schauffele. dude can really play and it's only a matter of time before he gets one.

my gut says Woods (who looked great today), McIlroy & Fleetwood are too far back, but the wind is supposed to turn it into Car-nasty tomorrow, so.....

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i'm a Spieth guy, but i'm not going to sit here and bang the drum. if he wins, all the murmuring will stop and pantheon talk will resume. if he doesn't, the murmuring will continue. there's really no in between.

do not sleep on Schauffele. dude can really play and it's only a matter of time before he gets one.

my gut says Woods (who looked great today), McIlroy & Fleetwood are too far back, but the wind is supposed to turn it into Car-nasty tomorrow, so.....

Woods looked good, but not killer instinct good. Missed putts that the champions have to convert.

I'll be up early on Sunday!

smh

his putting was rock solid, and it's the primary reason why he has a puncher's chance tomorrow. nary a 3-putt (two all week), a bomb on 9, two putts from about 100 feet on 11, two-putt birdie on 14, huge par putt on 18 to keep the mo going into tomorrow.........but other than that, you're right, he was pedestrian on the greens

18 was a four foot putt!

I’m psyched to see how Schauffele and Speith play hole number one. Of course murders row of 15-18 will keep lots of hopes alive

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Coinstartled said:
    18 was a four foot putt!

and?

just never ends with you Glicker

edited July 21, 2018 2:10PM

Huge is a fifteen foot putt. Claret jug is consistent 12 to 20 foot putts.

He gave it an over-the-hill athlete's run. Nothing wrong with that.

edited July 21, 2018 2:38PM

you're wrong. huge is putting the punctuation mark on a great round by capitalizing on your good fortune on a brutal final hole by dunking the putt, even if it's four feet. a distance, by the way, that was missed by more than one professional today if you watched the entire broadcast. if he wasn't killer instinct good, as you so succinctly described him up above, is that not the exact the type of putt he should have missed?

bottom line is you continue to possess such a profound level of antipathy toward the guy that you extricate every ounce of fun from threads such as this one

edit: ok that wasnt entirely fair. not every ounce. mark is objective and i enjoy reading his contributions.

I dunno Galaxy, I posted this when Tiger was one back and had flashes of former greatness. You will see no negativity in my first comment. He was unable to close though in the final holes.

If Woods is satisfied with making the cut and a maybe a top ten finish, then he played up to expectation. If he is looking to ever win another major, he fell short, at least this weekend.

edited July 21, 2018 3:12PM

Woods shot a 66 today. What was the low round today? 65?

No one ever make every single putt. I admire the patience he has shown and course management. He’s playing like a European this week. So far it’s been a great showing and He has shown flashes of brilliance with the wand.

The guy shot a 66 today. Nothing he does will be good enough for some. He missed a putt on 18 and his round is reduced to “he lacks the killer instinct”? He played out of his mind on moving day.

mark

He made the putt on 18, Mark.

Tony Bennett is over ninety and still performs. His upper range is shot, but he is a legend and a really nice guy and anyone that sees him perform will likely be satisfied.

When evaluating Tiger, can we no longer use the measuring stick of his once dominant prowess in majors or do we have to shrug our shoulders and say, "well he is 42 and has had 4 back surgeries".

I suspect that Woods would prefer the former.

this is a glass-half-full/empty scenario. personally, i don't need the Tiger from 2000 to reappear. and i sure as hell don't expect anything even remotely close to it. i for one have grown to appreciate him for who he is -- a transcendent player who galvanizes his sport like no other. without him, golf is a shell of its former self. with him -- even if he fails to hoist another trophy above his head -- golf is in a markedly better place.

i just have a hard time wrapping my mind around an unrealistic someone -- such as yourself -- who thinks that if this incarnation of Tiger doesn't resemble the one from his heyday, then he needs to stuff his sticks in the attic and start selling the patches he puts on his neck. with all due respect, that line of thinking is so preposterous that it's difficult to take anything you say seriously.

edited July 21, 2018 4:53PM

Galaxy, please go back and read my first two posts. If stating that Wood's lacked the killer instinct is worthy of such a vitriolic response, than this place is out of control.

...I have changed my mind and will be sleeping in tomorrow. Let Spieth hoist the jug in my absence.

@Coinstartled said:

If stating that Wood's lacked the killer instinct

ok, fine. you are indeed entitled to your opinion. if your candid interpretation of his 66 was a round devoid of killer instincts, then kindly accept my apology.

but don't for one second expect me to believe that the walls are going to be heaving in your bedroom when his ball cannons off #1 at 9:25 EST in the morning. you know damn well you'll be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in the tony romo pjs that dimeman sent you with a bowl of fruity pebbles in hand

That was pretty good Galaxy. :)

Pacific Time zone..I will probably be tuning in by the fourth hole.

this is getting mighty interesting

6 tied at the top.

Congrats to Molinari.

Indeed. I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a tourney more

m

moli was nails. in truth, we shoulda seen this coming. dude was en fuego heading into the british. not a single bogey (or worse) on the weekend. ben fatto!