Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps Wax Pack

1952 Topps wax pack sells for 48,000. Wow. 1969 Topps wax pack sells for 4,800. Unbelievable.

Comments

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dropped out of the '69 chase at $2k...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Prices continue to be insane. $40k for the '52, several packs have sold for $50-$80K either publically or privately in the last year. The '69 pack is the one I found really surprising, but IMO it's probably the 2nd toughest regular '60's pack, and there doesn't seem to be much supply. 10 years ago you could put together a near '52-'80 run (minus '56 and '58 of course) in one shot on Steve Harts site, now it would take you years and well into 6 figures to do that.
    I don't think a $100k pack is that far off, especially when another collector with means steps in.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    fleet47fleet47 Posts: 78 ✭✭

That’s a good question. What will be the first $100,000 pack?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

As those multi-million dollar 52 Mantles gain more publicity out there, those 52 wax packs will naturally rise in price.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to one day see the 52 wax pack at over 100k.

i think that also lifts up every other wax pack that could contain a Mantle.

• Options

@fleet47 said:

'56 Topps, or a pre war pack like '33 Sport Kings

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should I be surprised by these kinds of prices? I never am.

Andy

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@Griffins said:

@fleet47 said:

What makes the 56 so hard to get?

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:

@Griffins said:

@fleet47 said:

What makes the 56 so hard to get?

They've all been ripped! :D

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my bigger regrets not buying a pack when the BBCardKid - Mark Murphy - had some beautiful packs he bought from an old lady that were 8 pack cellos in really nice shape. They were around 1500 or so.

Mike
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018 8:47PM

I remember 6-7 years ago buying a mint looking 51 but WAY WAY miscut Mantle RC from the same guy Mark who ripped the 69 pack that produced the PSA 7 Mick that looks sharp as heck in the other thread I started recently.

He’s a old time collector from Texas I met and have bought many times from. He only contacts me out of the blue to chat and will sell small pieces of his collection once is a while.

He’s got some MONSTER UNOPENED stuff still to this day and I’m telling him to keep it UNOPENED!!

The MC 51 Mantle he pulled from a unopened pack and he said he has more 51 Bowman Wax!

I told him Psa has 0 authenticated from 51and a graded one would be unbelievable for the hobby.

Fingers crossed!!!!!

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Time machine anyone?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Griffins said:

@fleet47 said:

This begs the question:

What's the earliest known unopened pack in existence?

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Griffins said:

@fleet47 said:

This begs the question:

psa has 1930 R78 Jungle Gum as their earliest unopened pack thats been graded.

• Options

@Stone193 said:
    One of my bigger regrets not buying a pack when the BBCardKid - Mark Murphy - had some beautiful packs he bought from an old lady that were 8 pack cellos in really nice shape. They were around 1500 or so.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Griffins said:

@fleet47 said:

This begs the question:

About 15 years ago an Old Judge pack was opened that had a card. Tough to beat that until a Kalamazoo Bat pack comes up.
    There was a find of '33 Sport Kings packs about 20 years ago, I've got one of those. There have been some '32 Uncle Jack cello packs floating around. Other than that the oldest I've seen in the 19 years I've been collecting packs and the 8 years of auction catalogs I've collected before that was the partial box of '48 Bowman packs that Mile High auctioned off last year. There was also a '49 Bowman nickel pack that was sold privately a few months ago, and a '49 Leaf rare series pack from that find is floating around in someones collection- that was part of a collection that was sold by Memory Lane last year, but that pack wasn't offered. It either sold privately or it's still in SoCal with its owner.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Stone193 said:

and this pic with it - the packs have a "just made" sheen to them.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:

@stevek said:

@Stone193 said:

The interesting thing is the stacks of $100 bills to the left of the pic, might also be a stack of $20 bills there, likely wouldn't even buy one of those packs today.

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

What happened to Mark Murphy? I remember he had a fire, lost all his inventory, tried to get back to business, but never did. I used to buy a lot from him. What business is he in now?

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

memorylane has a 1952 gai 9 pack coming up for auction.
    now we will see how it compares with a lesser graded pack from heritage.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jsanz said:
    What happened to Mark Murphy? I remember he had a fire, lost all his inventory, tried to get back to business, but never did. I used to buy a lot from him. What business is he in now?

I think it would be tough to get into the unopened business these days unless you focus on new product. As the BBCE website proves, there's just not that much vintage unopened available out there to make a business of it. I'm sure collectively there's still quite a bit of material but much of it is locked away in private collections.

• Options

The Memory Lane 1952 Topps wax pack has a bad tear from the gum. Otherwise nice pack. GAI compared to PSA. I doubt the final prices will be close. PSA much higher.

• Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Griffins said:

@fleet47 said:

This begs the question:

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@1all said:

@Tabe said:

@Griffins said:

@fleet47 said:

This begs the question:

Solid photoshop

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1all said:

@Tabe said:

@Griffins said:

@fleet47 said:

This begs the question:

That's a funny-looking 1962 Topps Cello with Koufax on top ;)

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:
    OT- but man the 71 Topps wax packs are on absolute FIRE!!

Wish I hoarded some lol

Wow - over 3k

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

@stevek said:

@Stone193 said:

I think she was from Seattle right @Stone193 ? Right in my own back yard. Ahhhhhhh!

• Options

@Piggs said:

@Stone193 said:

@stevek said:

@Stone193 said:

I think she was from Seattle right @Stone193 ? Right in my own back yard. Ahhhhhhh!

I honestly don't remember Doug and his web is gone - both he and Mr Mint listed their big "finds" on their site.

I really do feel a bit ill when I see those shiny clean packs.

Mike
  • Options

Is the picture of the '52 packs legit...an actual find? If so...when?

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Sooooo....what is everyone’s best guess on the hammer price for 52 Topps pack? Will be interesting to note the premium (or lack of premium) of GAI packs vs PSA packs. Also how much of a bump is it from a 7 to an 8 to a 9.

• Options

@mintonlypls said:
    Is the picture of the '52 packs legit...an actual find? If so...when?

Hiya Monte

Yes, IMO, it was legit.

Not sure without looking at some old SCDs and see if I can pinpoint.

It's been some time - I would say around 1993 to 95.

Mike
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

If I were to have a vintage pack that I would spend big bucks on I know damn well it wouldn’t be wrapped for long.That is why avoid all temptations to purchase any.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it was Quincy MA if I recall.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    I think it was Quincy MA if I recall.

It was. Murphy was based in Flying Cloud, CT at the time.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Mr. Mint’s find was in Quincy MA. Mark Murphy’s find was from Seattle.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the clarity!! @fleet47 it all seems jumbled now I’m sure for many of us.

• Options

Nice article by Doug Koztoski- The Famous 1952 Topps Baseball Card Find dated July 22, 2013 in SMR. Details the find. I goggled it. Didn’t mean to confuse anyone. Article states that Rosen went to Quincy MA.

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@addicted2ebay said:

Wish I hoarded some lol

Wow - over 3k

That’s just the regular ones. If you think the 1971 packs are tough try finding a 1971 pack in a 1970 wrapper.

Dave
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@70ToppsFanatic said:

@stevek said:

@addicted2ebay said:

Wish I hoarded some lol

Wow - over 3k

That’s just the regular ones. If you think the 1971 packs are tough try finding a 1971 pack in a 1970 wrapper.

Had a full pack run from the 70’s and was missing only one. You guessed it - the 1971. Went on to something else after realizing the 71 would cost me more than all the others combined by a decent margin. Now I am itching to do it again :)

KC

• Options

KC...

Go for it!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

@Griffins said:
    Prices continue to be insane. $40k for the '52, several packs have sold for $50-$80K either publically or privately in the last year. The '69 pack is the one I found really surprising, but IMO it's probably the 2nd toughest regular '60's pack, and there doesn't seem to be much supply. 10 years ago you could put together a near '52-'80 run (minus '56 and '58 of course) in one shot on Steve Harts site, now it would take you years and well into 6 figures to do that.
    I don't think a $100k pack is that far off, especially when another collector with means steps in.

Steve told me recently that the 69 pack is the most often counterfeited pack he sees

Jim

Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options

So 52Topps PSA 8 goes for 48k and GAI 9 at Memory Lane goes for a little over 13k. Is there THAT big of difference between PSA and GAI? What am I missing here....

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

TRIAPD

Seriously, some may feel PSA is more reliable, but a lot of it seems registry driven lately. Compare what the PSA 7 ‘71 pack recently sold for (3K+) and the sub $1500 offer accepted for a GAI 7.

• Options

Unopened prices overall for this Memory Lane auction were softer than usual for them. I think the fact that 4 auction houses had featured auctions closing on the same night had something to do with it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2018 5:40PM

Do you think there’s a significant difference in quality between these two packs that explains the price disparity? PSA does seem nicer. Also, the GAI pack sat for weeks at $1699 ask, seems like PWCC buyers wanted a PSA pack....or just didn’t like the GAI pack.

PSA 7 pack $3053

GAI 7 pack $1570

• Options
    edited August 13, 2018 6:04PM

One thing to note about the 71 packs. The last few PSA 7 pcks prior to this one sold on eBay hammered at about 2K so the 3K sale was what I would call an outlier until a few more sell in that range. Also, PWCC commands higher prices than most eBay sellers for a variety of reasons. Lastly the seal on back of the GAI 7 pack did not look terribly appealing to me. Impossible to tell for sure from a scan but that's a large amount of money to take a chance on.

No question, though, that the registry is also a factor and that the PSA flip does command a premium, too. Sometimes, too, running an auction will yield the highest hammer price, even though it's a risk to do so.

• Options

In my opinion, and I think a lot of others out there based on the pricing differential, most folks have much more confidence in the PSA slabbed packs.

One day I will buy a 1962 Topps baseball unopened pack to bust, a series with a shot at the #200 Mantle, perhaps some other vintage packs as well, and they will only be PSA slabbed packs, no other.

Note that Mantle pulled from that Bowman cello recently, was a PSA slabbed pack.

Perhaps I won't find anything but commons in the packs, but all I ask for is at least a fair chance.

In my viewpoint, ya rip vintage packs for fun...and if you get lucky then you get lucky. :)