Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sports Card Sellers Who Don't Sell Sports Cards

I've only been back to ebay for a few months now. Here and there, I come across a seller with a Puckett card I want, and when I check their profile/feedback, the seller has no history of selling sports cards. They sell something totally different, like snow mobiles or sewing supplies or car parts. I don't use this to "disqualify" a seller, but I wonder why they have these cards. Anyone know how sellers who don't sell sports cards end up listing sports cards? Is it possibly as simple as the seller having a buddy who isn't an ebay seller, and just lists them for the friend? Any thoughts?

Along the same lines, there is a current seller like this who has a card I want. IMO, the card is tremendously overpriced. The seller has other cards from this insert line, all being overpriced. There is no "make offer" function. Is it even worth it to contact this seller and make an offer? For example - he wants $150 and at best, its worth $100 as a raw card. Again, seller has no feedback for sports cards, but has legit feedback for other things.

Thoughts/Advice?

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

Comments

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

If there is no "make offer" function I just move on. However, in your case it wouldn't hurt to send the seller an e-mail stating
    something like "would you be willing to entertain an offer for xx card that you have listed?"

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018 9:27AM

@dennis07 said:
    However, in your case it wouldn't hurt to send the seller an e-mail stating
    something like "would you be willing to entertain an offer for xx card that you have listed?"

This. Ever since ebay added the reply-with-offer feature for sellers, it seems nearly every listing has become a virtual or-best-offer. I get email offers for things all the time. Sometimes I reply with a discount offer and sometimes I don't, depending on the item. As a buyer, I've done the same and saved a good amount of $ by doing so. If they don't reply, or do reply but without offering discount, you're no worse off than before you sent the first message.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

vintagesnowmobiles? If so they are museum prices and rediculously overpriced, 3X market value or more in most cases.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had good experiences buying from Mike (vintagesnowmobiles). He always has negotiated prices with me even though there is no make an offer option. Give him a try, the worst he can say is no.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.