Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Kookaburra Privy - What are they?

I've been collecting Kookaburras for a while. Every once in a while, I'll come across a Kookaburra with a special addition to the coin called a Privy, like a Star Privy. What the heck are these things?? I did a search on Privy and didn't find anything to answer what they are.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally, a privy mark was placed on a coin by the coiner indicating the fineness was correct. The French mints used them to indicate who the coiner was at a specific date. They chose things like anchors, bees, etc. The modern usage is as a mark to commemorate something. Canada and Australia are using them - Canada on some proof Silver Maples like the Chinese calendar, ANA shows, Sasquatch, Einstein's E=MC2 formula, etc.; Australia has done older coins and the Chinese calendar. Now it is almost hard to find proof Maple Leafs without one.

thefinn
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2018 8:17PM

Prvcy could be anything here is Canadian silver with Dog Prvcy. They a pricey and limited in production qty

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

About Kookaburra Privies, do you get the same points in the registry set for a Privy MS70 Kookaburra as a non Privy Kookaburra? There is a coin in eBay that I need for mu Kookaburra set in MS70 but it has Star Privy.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

An inexpensive way to get more money from collectors! No need to design a new coin, engrave new dies, etc.

The US Mint can only do this with mintmarks.