Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Repli-Cards / Magazine Cards

It looks like cards hand-cut from magazines from the late 80's/early 90's are now being graded. I remember sending in a couple dozen of these 10 years ago or so and having them all returned to me because they weren't grading those cards. i didn't understand why, as they weren't available in any other form, so they shouldn't be treated like a sheet of 1983 Topps, for example. In any case, it looks like 4 Sharp Corners is off and running with getting these cards graded and they are bringing some decent money on Ebay. I think they are cool looking, as you see players in sets they might not have otherwise appeared in, etc -- and I think the photography is really nice on many of these cards, especially those that came in Baseball Cards Magazine. I will have to dig up that stack of cards and send them in again....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-SCD-POCKET-PRICE-GUIDES-HAND-CUT-2-BO-JACKSON-POP-1-PSA-10-B2569852-751-/263599648318?_sop=16&hash=item3d5fc36e3e%3Ag%3AZ2UAAOSwHBda-SFH&_sacat=0&_nkw=psa+10+bo+jackson+-tiffany&LH_Complete=1&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0&nma=true&si=b%252BscSa1VZMUe7ubAfQe%252Bb5%252BW%252BtQ%253D&orig_cvip=true

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these the same ones as the ones from baseball cards magazine? Have all of those still from years ago. May have to look through them.

• Options

I see the OP referenced the Baseball Cards Magazine Cards which are the ones I have but the EBay ones say SCD pocket price guide.

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Yeah, there are a few magazines form the late 80's/early 90's that had repli-cards in them...looks like they are grading them all now, rightly so...I think they look really cool...can't wait to get some in PSA holders..

• Options

I too noticed 4SC had these on their site a week or so ago and about laughed out loud at the prices. He wants $150 for a goofy 59 Topps looking Puckett. I can't believe anyone would pay more than a few dollars for this nonsense. I shake my head.

http://4sharpcorners.com/1989_BB_MAGAZINE_REPLI_CARDS_H_C__31_KIRBY_PUCKETT_HOF_POP_1_PSA_10_B2594741_408-ITEM2220085.aspx

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    davidlisadavidlisa Posts: 62 ✭✭

I've got a ton of that stuff, never thought of grading them !

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it. Why shouldn't these cards be graded?

Arthur

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

...and why do they grade some years and not others. smh

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

These repli cards continue to do well on Ebay...I think they are a hit with player collectors...you see PSA 7's of some of these cards bring decent money...a lot of people getting in on grading these cards these days, although a couple outfits responsbile for a good chunk of these cards that appear on Ebay...still not easy to find the cards without creases and other factory issues, let alone hand cutting them properly so they present well to the graders...I'll have a couple sharp Griffey rookies from Baseball Cards Magazine off to PSA in the near future...

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldferg said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

...and why do they grade some years and not others. smh

Complete, documented checklists = gradeable. Random singles = not.

@Kep13 said:
    These repli cards continue to do well on Ebay...I think they are a hit with player collectors...you see PSA 7's of some of these cards bring decent money...a lot of people getting in on grading these cards these days, although a couple outfits responsbile for a good chunk of these cards that appear on Ebay...still not easy to find the cards without creases and other factory issues, let alone hand cutting them properly so they present well to the graders...I'll have a couple sharp Griffey rookies from Baseball Cards Magazine off to PSA in the near future...

I had a few graded (not Griffey) in my last sub and was surprised when I looked up sales prices. Looks like my 8 & 9 should actually do fairly well.

• Options

The Legends Magazines are tough with the foil borders. I've sent in a few of these recently and they are very surface sensitive with the card stock used.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

indeed -- if the pop is low on these guys, they will sell decently to a player collector, even in PSA 8 or 9...and the Griffeys really do well, as well as Jordans, Ryans, etc -- the usual suspects

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

I've picked up a few of these for my Glavine and Smoltz Master sets over the last few months. I always liked them at the time, so I was happy to see them start turning up slabbed.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2019 7:19PM

I’m the Bo Jackson guy. Love these, and to whomever is cutting them up, please continue to do so, as they look awesome in slabs.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

Also, to anyone reading this that is a master cutter of box bottoms, those are sought after in high grade as well. I know it’s tough because 1980’s wax box bottoms have slid against shelves and god knows what for 30 years causing color loss, indents, and creases, but something to think about as well...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

@Gemyanks10 said:
    I’m the Bo Jackson guy. Love these, and to whomever is cutting them up, please continue to do so, as they look awesome in slabs.

I couldn't agree more, Gem -- seeing these players in card designs from years they weren't a part of is neat, and I think a big reason they look so cool in slabs is because the colors are vibrant -- no fuzziness, shading, etc, that plagued so many sets from the 70's and 80's...the pictures are very clear and colorful. I remember writing Joe many years back and asking why they didn't graded repli-cards, since they COULDN'T be had in any other form (wax packs, etc)....glad to see that years later they shifted their thinking....I have a couple nice Bo repli cards ready to go in my next batch...one if the 1969 design, I think from 1990 Baseball Cards Magazine...

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you cut the cards? X-acto and a ruler? Also do you follow the print line border or cut just outside the border? I have a run of these magazines and would like to slab them for viewing.

Mike
  • Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

I have a ton of these cards still uncut in a chest in my garage. Any ones in particular that are of value? Better to cut up or sell uncut?

• Options

I know I messaged one of the big players/cutters of these cards a few months back to ask them how they cut their repli cards, since they seemed to look really nice most of the time. That person said they used a one armed paper cutter. Me? I just use a regular scissors and carefully cut up each of the 4 sides, going straight as humanly possible (which I have gotten pretty good at), staying clear of the border, as most of the PSA 10's being sold these days do....I especially like the SCD Pocket Price Guide cards from 1991 (knockoff on the 1971 Topps cards). With the black body, it looks kinda cool with a little bit of white border all the way around....

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a guideline PSA has for hand cut cards? I know that question is up for a snark attack, keep it classy I don't want to get this thread nuked.

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:
    How do you cut the cards? X-acto and a ruler? Also do you follow the print line border or cut just outside the border? I have a run of these magazines and would like to slab them for viewing.

I have PSA 10’s of these Repli-Cards to where some are cut outside the border a tad so you can see the entire border in a defined way (my preference), and then I own a couple where whomever cut it cut just before the borders and there is no lines showing. I’ll attach a couple to show what I mean. With these being recently graded, it doesn’t seem that the graders take exception to not having any border showing...anyone disagree?

• Options

@Gemyanks10 said:

@ndleo said:

I have PSA 10’s of these Repli-Cards to where some are cut outside the border a tad so you can see the entire border in a defined way (my preference), and then I own a couple where whomever cut it cut just before the borders and there is no lines showing. I’ll attach a couple to show what I mean. With these being recently graded, it doesn’t seem that the graders take exception to not having any border showing...anyone disagree?

I prefer in between those 2 examples...the Bo has a bit too much outside of the border for my liking, while the Junior has none...right in between those is the amount of frame around the border that I prefer and what I cut mine like...

• Options

One thing to beware of if subbing panels for registry sets, this is considered a 'custom cut' and not a complete panel that can be added to the composite ...

I considered these as two separate 3-card panels, but the set registry only considers the 6-card panel with the fold in between 'complete' as an item that can be added.

• Options

Have a stack of these at home as I subscribed to Baseball Cards magazine for years. No idea how to cut these to have them graded. They are in a box somewhere with complete (opened and eaten) kraft macaroni and cheese boxes with cards on them. Have not looked at them in years.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Have a stack of these at home as I subscribed to Baseball Cards magazine for years. No idea how to cut these to have them graded. They are in a box somewhere with complete (opened and eaten) kraft macaroni and cheese boxes with cards on them. Have not looked at them in years.

Dig those bad boys out and have at 'em...just search for PSA 10 repli card on EBAY to get an example of how they should be cut. You can use a smaller paper cutter or a scissors or whichever way you can come up with that creates the same amount of border/frame on each side, or close to it anyways...I have found with some of them, if you go to close to the black edge of the card, it will cut into the border on the back of the card, which I definitely want to see, so that is why I stay a little ways away from the black edge when cutting mine....

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer a thin border around the border on the card. Here is mine.

• Options

Are any of these worth anything?

• Options

@BriYo79 , do you have any with George Brett or Dale Murphy?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

@BriYo79 said:
    Are any of these worth anything?

Heck yeah...if you pulled 10's on many of those cards, they would be worth $50 to $200 per...just do an Ebay search...that 2nd year Griffey would be a good one, as well as the Ripklens, Mattinglys, etc...

• Options

@ldferg said:
    @BriYo79 , do you have any with George Brett or Dale Murphy?

I'll check for you. I've got a chest in the garage with magazines still intact that need to be sorted through. I'll try to get around to it this weekend.

• Options

I just emptied out that chest and wow. So many magazines with cards, all from the early nineties. These cards look like they were just printed. I had that Topps magazine from 1990 with Griffey on it. I think that one contained a high dollar Jr card. I need to pick up a new metal straight edge and a pack of razors and see if I can get some of these to gem. Looks like that's really the only way to cash out.

• Options

Some more

• Options

And some more

And I apparently have about 100+ of these

• Options
    edited December 11, 2019 5:23PM

New Pickup

• Options

@BriYo79 said:
    And some more

Do you have any of the Bird that year with a Gold Border?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

Finally getting around to catching up on some scanning ...

@BriYo79 I'm interested in the Diamond Sports Mem and if you have any Legends with golfers included or any of the baseball panels with Larkin.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@BriYo79 I'm interested in the Diamond Sports Mem and if you have any Legends with golfers included or any of the baseball panels with Larkin.

You buy that Larkin repli card or submit it yourself?

• Options

@Kep13 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

You buy that Larkin repli card or submit it yourself?

That one was a purchase, I seem to get 9s on all that I sub.

• Options

@ldferg said:

@BriYo79 said:
    And some more

Do you have any of the Bird that year with a Gold Border?

I do.

• Options

@BriYo79 said:

Boom, shoot me a price/message at LDFergi@gmail.com.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Generally speaking, most of the magazine cards don't have a real strong value individually, mainly because most were produced in great volume and there are tons still available. There could be some that were more limited or harder to find that command premiums and there are always oddball, team, player collectors who chase stuff like that with new colelctors coming into the market that missed them when they were issued. And of course, the grading factor, since many of them have to be hand cut or have perforations to separate them.

You never know when a $3 magazine card sheet might end up selling for $30 when the right couple of buyers need one.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

Is there a reference that tells what inserts are in what magazines? I have found a checklist of cards, but it doesn't inform you what magazine, mfgr, volume, player on cover, etc...

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

I could share, but I won't. You'll have to find my FB group.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    I could share, but I won't. You'll have to find my FB group.

You may have some niche info. I reached out to SCD about some of their magazines from the 80s/90s and here's what they had to say: "Hi David, Unfortunately we do not have what you were looking for, as our data base does not go back that far. Sorry we couldn’t help."

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I shared this thought on a different thread, possibly a different site, but there is great potential for crowdsourced data bases if they could be organized and managed well enough. Someone was asking about articles within Beckett and that could be done where one person does a detailed breakdown of a single issue, but others would have to contribute in the same manner. Same could be done for card inserts. I know I have a large collection of Baseball Card Magazine, Beckett Monthly, Topps Magazine., etc Many of those already have checklists in the Beckett Almanac or SCD Annual guides, or at least older editions did. However, one person doing the work is labor intensive and could be very costly as well. But, imagine if 100 people each took 1 or 2 magazines, dove down to the fine detail and then shared their findings in one spot.

For example, I discovered that Baseball Digest had crossword puzzles that had cartoon drawings of players in the middle of the crosswords. Steve Garvey had one and I thought it would be neat to have the entire run. I had no idea how long they ran the feature, but I was lucky in that regard because I had subscribed at one point and still had all my old issues. I pulled them out and figured out when they stopped doing them and worked my way backwards until I could not find them in older issues. I spent the next several months, possible a year or more, buying lots of Baseball Digests from ebay as cheap as I could find them and cataloging who was on each crossword, who was the cover subject and the date of the digest. I had to make sure that the seller checked the crosswords to verify they were not filled in, which added more time in getting blanks I needed, but also time to complete the run. I then cut them all out, making them into card-like collectibles. This information may mean very little to anyone but me, but the thought of just handing it out for free to all is not super appealing either.

I would love to see some data bases built like that, as I sometimes recall small articles in magazines that I want to reference, but can't quickly find them. I would definitely participate if someone got the machine moving forward. Taking that a step further, if people had the extras and the means, scanned images of each page could be archived as well. Checklists are great, but am image gallery is even better. Although that may violate some copyright laws, reproducing their works? Not sure, but still a cool idea.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.