Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Thoughts about valuing the rare 1944 S over P Netherlands 10 cents?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

An acquaintance of mine recently found one of the 1944 Netherlands 10 cents with the S over P mintmark. Had it certified by PCGS, IIRC, at 58.

This was a massive WWII issue with a mintage of over 180,000,000 pieces for this year alone, struck in the US for Netherlands.

Some of these pieces exhibit an S (San Francisco) mintmark over the P (Philadelphia).

NGC shows a mintage of just 2 pieces. However PCGS has certified 5, NGC has certified 1. So baring crackouts, there are at least 6 known.

And NGC estimates the value in MS63 at $5,000.

The fact that it was struck in the US might appeal to some collectors. But my gut tells me these values are way out of the realm of reality. Clearly there were more made than originally thought. The estimated value puts it above the comparable 1942/41 US dimes.

I maintain that there could be hundreds or even thousands of these out there--they've just not been actively searched for. And I suspect that they aren't widely collected as a series.

Yes, the obvious way to value it is to sell it at auction. But what are your thoughts to value?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The value is speculative. If this is just an issue that has long been ignored (nobody bothering to look closely at the mintmark because the coin is so common) I would be reluctant to pay much of a premium for it. As you have said, there could be many, many more of them out there.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

It would appear that NGC is quoting the Krause mintage figure. I would have to agree with you that there are plenty more out there but no one is looking.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update: He claims he sold the piece for $2500. Private sale.
    So I guess that's its value as of this week.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame