Home Sports Talk
Options

Terrell Eldorado Owens

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boycotting the HOF. Grousing it seems that it took too long for his selection.

Hell, it took the Moody Blues decades to get into the Rock Hall of Fame.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than Randy Moss, Owens is the best wide receiver I ever saw.

• Options

Moss was unstoppable when he was on all cylinders.

• Options

First I've heard about this with TO.

I would have to believe his ego would never allow him to boycott the HOF.

TO just wants some negative attention in the meantime like he always does.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was always a me first player. This charade is no different.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    He was always a me first player. This charade is no different.

That's why he was on so many teams! I'd take Moss over TO anytime.

• Options

When Andy Reid was the head coach of the Eagles, Andy had a strict dress code for practice...yes, for practice. Well the first day of practice after the Eagles signed TO, Owens comes in wearing this "spandex" sort of outfit to practice in. Owens stated afterwards to the media that he had always practiced in something like this.

Well Andy hit the roof as he is a strict disciplinarian type of coach, and of course TO mouthed back a little bit. TO of course next practice followed the dress rules.

While TO was a productive player on the field for the Eagles, that has to be acknowledged, he was an absolute pain in the neck in the locker room and off the field with his big mouth.

Every team that ever had him, eventually couldn't wait to get rid of him, despite his superb talent. That is a fact.

And now he's doing the same sort of shenanigans with the Hall of Fame. After reading about it, i changed my mind...TO just might sit out and not attend the induction ceremony. Tough to figure out an idiot such as him. Who knows what he is going to actually do?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is just butthurt that he isn’t in the NFL anymore and broke. He makes comments all the time about how he could start and he is still in “Game shape”. Guys like Terrel Owens or Randy Moss could have been even better had it not been for their stupid high maintenance ways. If he wants to sit out the HOF then take him off the induction and exempt him for 5 years, maybe in that 5 years he grows up a little then revisit it

• Options

I didn't know that TO is broke. That really breaks my heart. LOL

TO conveniently forgets that towards the end of his NFL career, he was dropping some passes he used to catch, and often couldn't get separation from defenders. He still had some value, but simply wasn't worth the money he was asking for.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2018 7:17AM

He has a cool middle name

I see him from time to time. He lives in the next town over

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    He has a cool middle name

I see him from time to time. He lives in the next town over

m

Saw the middle name when I looked up his stats. Certainly worth including.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Unless he was going across the middle or got hit sometime during the game. To be fair, he was good for his first 4 years until he became the kind of player you only want on your fantasy team.

I seem to remember Owens playing with a broken bone and being productive. Randy quit if he was tired.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

Unless he was going across the middle or got hit sometime during the game. To be fair, he was good for his first 4 years until he became the kind of player you only want on your fantasy team.

I seem to remember Owens playing with a broken bone and being productive. Randy quit if he was tired.

What you say is true, except in my opinion Moss was pretty good for more than just 4 years.

Yes, Moss didn't go up the middle, a middle linebacker would have snapped him in half, but Moss didn't need to do that. If the QB had time, Moss was a terror on a post or flag pattern. Or just burn the corner straight up on a fly pattern.

TO gave his all on the field, i will not deny him that. I got to watch TO closely when he was with the Eagles, and he would make some catches that would astonish me. I played WR in high school, and completely know how difficult it is to make some of those catches that TO made. One of his catches was the greatest catch I ever saw. TO quickly came back on an under thrown pass to the wrong shoulder, and in a split second twisted his body and caught it with two hands around a foot off the ground, with the defender all over him. Unbelievable. I don't think any other receiver that I ever saw could have caught that pass.

• Options

I watched every game he played in for Minnesota. Maybe was good for more than 4 years, but he was a total ass after a certain point.

Not talking about being anywhere near a linebacker, he had "alligator arms" anytime he went on a crossing pattern. The guy was gutless. I went from loving (well really liking) to practically hating Moss. After Chris Carter's influence wore off, Moss was totally worthless.

With an average amount of effort he would have rewritten the record books. I can't stand what he became and he was just a CANCER to the Vikings. What a WASTE of phenomenal talent.

TO might have been another goof ball, but he never quit before the end of a game saying he was "too tired" from running all those fly patterns.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I recall when Moss walked off the field before a game ended. The game if I'm remembering right was basically decided and over, and I think there was less than a minute on the clock, but Moss knows that still is something a player simply cannot do, in any team sport.

Those NFL wide receivers...they sure can be a quirky bunch now can't they? LOL

• Options

Ok take away the stupidity and me first attitude. Who do you want Moss or T.O? I would take Moss.

• Options

And had he not gotten hurt Sterling Sharpe would have been up there with Moss and TO or close enough. David Boston and Justin Blackmon are two others that come to mind who potentially could have been really great WR’s if it were not for their own stupidity.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Ok take away the stupidity and me first attitude. Who do you want Moss or T.O? I would take Moss.

I would take Moss in a heartbeat. The man could fly and "take the top off a defense"! Love it.

• Options

Moss was better, no question about it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I'd play 10 guys and sit Moss if I had to have him on my team. I can't post on this thread anymore or I could get banned.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    I'd play 10 guys and sit Moss if I had to have him on my team. I can't post on this thread anymore or I could get banned.

Wow.......the man is a TOP receiver!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

One last post. After seeing your opinion on Romo???????!!!!!!!!

I just CAN'T BELIEVE you can call this gutless pig a top receiver. While I won't dispute that Tony had issues in big games at least he put forth an EFFORT and PLAYED HURT. You call him a choker, but you can't choke if you don't try.

I watched every game this overrated piece of garbage played and except for the beginning of his career, he didn't care who even won the games, it was all about Randy.

He had WAY more talent than any receiver I have ever seen, but name me one player in the history of the NFL who quit before time was up in a game. The Vikings did have a (slight) chance to win that game, every other player was giving an effort. Randy was "too tired" and walked off the field.

Dimebuddy; Randy made Tony look like Brady and Montana rolled into one. Even with arguably the best two teams in football Randy was unable to help his team win a championship. All his numbers mean nothing to me.

People who think this guy was a great player know NOTHING about team sports or teamwork!!!!!!!!

I really have to stop now.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I just CAN'T BELIEVE you can call this gutless pig a top receiver. While I won't dispute that Tony had issues in big games at least he put forth an EFFORT and PLAYED HURT. You call him a choker, but you can't choke if you don't try.

I watched every game this overrated piece of garbage played and except for the beginning of his career, he didn't care who even won the games, it was all about Randy.

He had WAY more talent than any receiver I have ever seen, but name me one player in the history of the NFL who quit before time was up in a game. The Vikings did have a (slight) chance to win that game, every other player was giving an effort. Randy was "too tired" and walked off the field.

Dimebuddy; Randy made Tony look like Brady and Montana rolled into one. Even with arguably the best two teams in football Randy was unable to help his team win a championship. All his numbers mean nothing to me.

People who think this guy was a great player know NOTHING about team sports or teamwork!!!!!!!!

Without question you make some very valid points.

Yes, of course teamwork is important in team sports, the game of football being right up there at the top of the list, if not arguably at the top of the list.

However, wide receiver other than the kickers, is perhaps by far the least necessary position needed for teamwork in football. Which is likely why over the years that many head coaches have put up with the various shenanigans from wide receivers. All that truly matters with wide receivers is can they get open and catch the football.

Yes, blocking is a plus with wide receivers. However the fact is that most of them block ineffectively. And many of them are so fragile in a football sense, that smart head coaches usually game plan to not have their #1 wide receiver try to block.

And yes, if a play breaks down, then it's important for the QB to know where the receiver might be, and that could be called teamwork. But it's really just communication between two players, the QB and the WR, rather than affecting what the rest of the team needs to do in order to have the play be successful.

So what I'm trying to say is your points about Moss's personality are spot on. However he did put up solid stats for a number of years, and made tremendous catches out there, and in my opinion with a wide receiver, that's really all that matters. With a rare exception of a TO who was so brutally a pain in the neck off the field, one of the worst of all time. At least Moss is attending his own Hall of Fame induction.

Moss was elected to the Hall of Fame on the first ballot, something that has happened with only six other wide receivers in NFL history.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

First - I stand by my accessment of Romo. He was a choker and always will be to me.

Second - On Moss...….I will yield to you on his team problems since you watched him play a lot. All I have ever had to judge him by was the highlight clips. It looked like he was a very good route runner and could catch anything thrown at him.

• Options

All I know is that it sounds like Moss either cost JoeBanzai a huge wager at some point or stole his girlfriend.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2018 11:51AM

I remember watching Moss When he was a Raider, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an NFL player dog it more than him and flat out not try, granted the balls were thrown at his feet the majority of the time and the team around him was pathetic but it was horrendous how poor his work ethic was. Had he had Tom Brady or other top QB’s thtowing to him consistently he would have easily gave Rice a run for his records, at least in yards and TD’s

• Options

@grote15 said:
    All I know is that it sounds like Moss either cost JoeBanzai a huge wager at some point or stole his girlfriend.

Ha ha. Nope, just can't stand lazy sports players.

See post above, regarding Oakland. Was going to bring that up. Also regarding above post, Moss did have some great QB's throwing to him (including Brady) played on not one but TWO teams that went 15-1 and take a look at his performances in big games.....................you'll see.

LOSER.

dime, yes he did have some great highlights, however I also saw the replays they did not show.