Card with a crimp/indent. How bad would this bring down a grade?

Options

This is on the lower back edge of a card. Looks absolutely beautiful on the front, surface is near perfect and corners are sharp. However, theres a small indent on the back, visible in the surface at angle, but not when looking at the cards crossection. Would this still be able to get a PSA 8 with a mark like this? Its a high value card and I'm considering grading, however its one of those cards where its worth more raw if this would grade a PSA 7 or lower.



myslabs.to/smzcards

Comments

  • Gemyanks10
    Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Options

    I missed an issue like this when putting together a bulk submission once and was given a 6 for what it’s worth. Mine was a little smaller than yours, but still visible.

    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Batpig
    Batpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    Options

    Same for me. Missed a very similar mark on the back of a card and got a 6.

  • dictoresno
    dictoresno Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    thats what I was afraid of

    myslabs.to/smzcards

  • BunchOBull
    BunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Options

    It's been a 6 for me every time, no matter the size of the crimp.

    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • bensie
    bensie Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Options

    1989 upper deck Griffey cards are prone to small wrinkles on the back. Such cards typically come back as 5s or 6s, and this crimp looks worse to my eye. I'd guess psa 6 on a good day.

  • markmac
    markmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    Options

    I have 2 cards that have a small round dimple indention on the surface. How does PSA grade these?

  • Stone193
    Stone193 Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Indentations are killers.

    I subbed this card - really thought it had a chance at 10.

    Shock when I saw the grade - looked at the back - and there it was - I had missed about a 4 to 5mm dent where the game is that's on the 78Ts.

    Mike
  • bensie
    bensie Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited July 13, 2018 3:30PM
    Options

    dp

  • Fayeilding
    Options

    @Stone193 said:
    Indentations are killers.

    I subbed this card - really thought it had a chance at 10.

    Shock when I saw the grade - looked at the back - and there it was - I had missed about a 4 to 5mm dent where the game is that's on the 78Ts.

    Any chance you could show a scan of the dent? Just curious.

  • Stone193
    Stone193 Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2018 12:31PM
    Options

    Any chance you could show a scan of the dent? Just curious.

    edit: took off scan and here's an image with camera - way better to see.

    "line" between home plate and right of 2nd base:

    Mike
  • Fayeilding
    Options

    @Stone193 said:

    Any chance you could show a scan of the dent? Just curious.

    edit: took off scan and here's an image with camera - way better to see.

    "line" between home plate and right of 2nd base:

    Thanks, that stinks. I’ve had some marks like that over the years and opted to not send them, it’s why I asked for a scan, got lucky I didn’t send them, still a beauty of a card.

  • stevek
    stevek Posts: 32,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    That's always been my understanding....an indentation such as from rubber bands, a ding, or some of the examples shown, gets the card graded 6 at best.

    My first submission before i knew basically anything about card grading, I sent in a 1965 Catfish Hunter rookie stars which I thought was a lock 7 at the lowest, probably an 8, maybe even a 9. Came back a 5.

    Took me awhile to figure it out, but sure enough there was a tiny wrinkle on the card that I didn't even see.

    Oh well...it was my welcome to card grading. LOL

  • dictoresno
    dictoresno Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @stevek said:
    That's always been my understanding....an indentation such as from rubber bands, a ding, or some of the examples shown, gets the card graded 6 at best.

    My first submission before i knew basically anything about card grading, I sent in a 1965 Catfish Hunter rookie stars which I thought was a lock 7 at the lowest, probably an 8, maybe even a 9. Came back a 5.

    Took me awhile to figure it out, but sure enough there was a tiny wrinkle on the card that I didn't even see.

    Oh well...it was my welcome to card grading. LOL

    same thing happened to me on my first sub, an 84 Topps Mattingly I had since I was a kid. Card was absolutely centered perfectly and sharp corners. came back a 5. it was only under heavy lighting at a certain angle on the white border could I see a light wrinkle. crushed me lol.

    myslabs.to/smzcards

  • dictoresno
    dictoresno Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    well I guess I beat the odds on this one......


    myslabs.to/smzcards

  • LarkinCollector
    LarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    B) It was pretty well hidden with the darker, glossy back.

  • GreenSneakers
    GreenSneakers Posts: 916 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Every few weeks I like to make a post about how the small bank dents being an auto 6 just frustrates me. You're telling me some off center, corner touched PSA7 is nicer than Stone's 6? Give me a break.

    My intro to grading was a card I thought was a lock for a 9 and, cross my fingers, maybe a 10. I pulled from a pack and if it was a 10 it was a $2500 card. It came back a 6 and took me days, and a magnifying glass, to figure out why. Its a $50 card now.

  • dictoresno
    dictoresno Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @LarkinCollector said:
    B) It was pretty well hidden with the darker, glossy back.

    If I saw it, I’m sure two PSA graders didn’t miss it.

    myslabs.to/smzcards

  • Dpeck100
    Dpeck100 Posts: 10,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Might have been a 10 that was downgraded two full points.

  • LarkinCollector
    LarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @dictoresno said:

    @LarkinCollector said:
    B) It was pretty well hidden with the darker, glossy back.

    If I saw it, I’m sure two PSA graders didn’t miss it.

    I guarantee you spent more time analyzing the card than both graders combined. Perhaps it's treated more like a refractor line than a crimp/indent on the shiny stuff, in which case a PSA 8 makes sense.

  • dictoresno
    dictoresno Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @LarkinCollector said:

    @dictoresno said:

    @LarkinCollector said:
    B) It was pretty well hidden with the darker, glossy back.

    If I saw it, I’m sure two PSA graders didn’t miss it.

    I guarantee you spent more time analyzing the card than both graders combined. Perhaps it's treated more like a refractor line than a crimp/indent on the shiny stuff, in which case a PSA 8 makes sense.

    I always over analyze or over scrutinize my cards. My estimates are usually on point but I guess over analyzing helps me never be disappointed when I get a better than expected grade.

    myslabs.to/smzcards

  • mdean32
    Options

    I have these indentions on a raw Lebron rookie. The card is nearly perfect centered on front with no scratches etc. The picture below looks as if the top edge of the card is messed up, but it isn't. The edges, and corners are sharp, it's just these indentions I'm concerned with.

    I had thought this card would at least grade a PSA 9 before discovering these indentions. How many grades do you think they knock this card for the indentions?

    Also, does anyone know what causes these, and is this common?

    Thank you

  • blurryface
    blurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    psa 6.

  • 1982FootballWax
    1982FootballWax Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Threads like this make me even more glad that 21 years ago i started to give 90% of my collecting focus into a one-of-kind item hobby where condition is virtually meaningless. My biggest mistake was not making 100% and not doing it 6 years earlier.

    It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)
    Not even a minute do I buy the whole buh buh buh I'm a man-child japery - Me (2025)

  • Batpig
    Batpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    Options

    Looks to me like crimps from the pack sealer, and it’s relatively common.

  • mdean32
    Options

    @Batpig said:
    Looks to me like crimps from the pack sealer, and it’s relatively common.

    Do you agree on the PSA 6 grade probability?

  • blurryface
    blurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2021 1:18PM
    Options

    @mdean32 said:

    @Batpig said:
    Looks to me like crimps from the pack sealer, and it’s relatively common.

    Do you agree on the PSA 6 grade probability?

    ill put it this way and provide a lil further info as to why i stated a psa 6.

    i have never submitted a crimped card like that. i have however received plenty of cards back from psa recently that appear to have been crimped, nicked, damaged while being holdered. they have all came back designated as psa 6. so whether its crimped from the factory or crimped from being holdered the end result is the same. if it was a crease thru and thru, by definition itd be a 5. in this case, im more than positive that youre looking at a psa 7 at best with all things else being absolute perfect with a psa 6 being 99.9% probable. especially on a lebron rookie.

  • 2dueces
    2dueces Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I had a 1986 Fleer Jordan sticker that had a small indent near the boarder that I was sure would knock it down from a possible 10. Still graded a 9. Either they missed it, ( highly unlikely) or it was a 10 without it.

    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • KendallCat
    KendallCat Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    This one looks like an 8/8.5 and corners and centering look strong. Right edge has an indentation like someone dropped an item on it. Outside of that it is a very strong card, and most people don’t notice it until it gets pointed out.