Home Sports Talk

All-Time Team based on your favorite player.

JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 12, 2018 8:21AM in Sports Talk

I thought it would be fun to pick an all time great team based on the first letter of you favorite players last name. My guy is Harmon Killebrew.

Move your guys around if need be, but try to keep it reasonable in where you position them (Killebrew played three full years in LF even though he was primarily a 1B/3B, Kaline played 2 years in CF full time). All my guys had at least 7-8 years in majors so Eddie Gaedel should not qualify.

First thing I noticed, I ended up with all left handed starting pitchers. Next thing I found is that "K" doesn't leave me a lot of choices (especially in CF), even though I think I have a great team. Several great non-HOFer's in Kaat (283 wins), Kluszewski (4X AS, 3X top 7 in MVP voting), Kent (MVP), Kuenn (10X All-Star). Assuming Kershaw will make it.

On a side note, too bad it took so long for Ted Kluszewski to make it to the Majors, he was very good. He didn't get into baseball until after college as he was a standout football player and didn't want to lose his eligibility.

I went with 4 starting pitchers, one middle relief/set up guy and a closer, added a DH as well. Assuming any position player could "play" DH even if his career was before the rule change.

I stayed out of the early 1900's or I would have added Tim Keefe as a RHP, then dropping Koosman. If you want to pick a 5 man rotation, I'll have to add Keefe or Bob Knepper (ouch). Keefe it is 2.62 ERA 1.12 WHIP.

Here's my team; (position, ERA, WHIP Pitchers BA, OPS Position players)

SP Koufax, Sandy 2.76 1.11 HOF
SP Kershaw, Clayton 2.37 1.00 HOF?
SP Kaat, Jim 3.45 1.26
SP Koosman, Jerry 3.36 1.26
RP Klein, Ron 3.75 1.37
Closer Kimbrel, Craig 1.81 0.91

C Kendall, Jason .288 .744
1B Kluszewski, Ted .298 .850
2B Kent, Jeff .290 .855
3B Kell, George .306 .781 HOF
SS Kuenn, Harvey .303. .765
LF Killebrew, Harmon .256 .884 HOF
CF Kaline, Al .297 .855 HOF
RF Klein, Chuck .297 .855 HOF
DH Kiner, Ralph .279 .946 HOF

Let's see what you got!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's way too limited. I thought about starting a thread where you pick you favorite team. Where you get 6 OF and 2 at the other positions and 5 starting pitchers and a closer....but not limited to any letter in name.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    That's way too limited. I thought about starting a thread where you pick you favorite team. Where you get 6 OF and 2 at the other positions and 5 starting pitchers and a closer....but not limited to any letter in name.

More limited for sure, I just thought it would challenging and also be fun!

I also learned about some good players I had heard of and a couple I had never heard of.

I'm challenging 1970s! You're taking the "B"s right? Let's see who you pick!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited July 12, 2018 11:03AM

skin and dallas got favorite players? OR how about either or both of you letting us know the "best" letter? "M" might be pretty good (what an outfield!), although "W" (an all "Williams" outfield?) and "A" could be right up there!

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite player was Carlos Zambrano.

My team ain't making it to the playoffs.

:#

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    That's way too limited.

With the way you spell you could push the envelope

Welcome back Jon

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Coinstartled said:

Second favorite? Dan Quisenberry?

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    That's way too limited.

With the way you spell you could push the envelope

Welcome back Jon

m

Hey, I resemble that remark! ;)B)

@Coinstartled said:

Richie Zisk was good! Ben Zobrist, Barry Zito.......man you're not even trying!!! ;-)

Manager Don Zimmer!

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

SP Ryan, Nolan 3.19 1.25 HOF
    SP Ruffing, Red 3.80 1.34 HOF
    SP Rixey, Eppa 3.15 1.27 HOF
    SP Roberts, Robin 3.41 1.17 HOF
    RP Radatz, Dick 3.13 1.19
    Closer Rivera Mariano 2,21 1.00

C Rodriguez, Pudge .296 .798 HOF
    1B Rose, Pete .303 .784
    2B Robinson, Jackie .311 .883 HOF
    3B Robinson, Brooks .267 .723 HOF
    SS Ripken, Cal .276 .788 HOF
    LF Raines, Tim .294 .810 HOF
    CF Roush, Edd .323 .815 HOF
    RF Ruth, Babe .342 1.164 HOF
    DH Robinson, Frank .294 .926 HOF

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

@dallasactuary said:
    SP Ryan, Nolan 3.19 1.25 HOF
    SP Ruffing, Red 3.80 1.34 HOF
    SP Rixey, Eppa 3.15 1.27 HOF
    SP Roberts, Robin 3.41 1.17 HOF
    RP Radatz, Dick 3.13 1.19
    Closer Rivera Mariano 2,21 1.00

1B Rose, Pete .303 .784

Heckofa pitching staff. Not much Home Run Power except for Ruth and FRobby though. Great defensive team too!

The "K" team will have problems here! If we make it to the W.S. watch out for Koufax! ;-) Might have to pitch him 4 times LOL.

@JoeBanzai said:

Heckofa pitching staff. Not much Home Run Power except for Ruth and FRobby though. Great defensive team too!

Not much of a racing stable except for Secretariat and Citation.

edited July 13, 2018 5:53AM

dallas, do you have a particular favorite player, or do you just like the "R" team?

In a 20 year competition(career length of many of the great players), my team wins 4-7 world series' against the "R" team.

Great longevity and long peak streaks dallas. Koufax and Klu hurt me the most. Now if we limit it to a 10 year window, I might be on a more equal footing.

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2018 11:32AM

Here's my Mays team...

OF Mays
    OF Mantle
    OF Musial
    1B McCovey
    2B Morgan
    3B Mathews
    SS Machado
    C Mackey
    DH Murray
    U Mazeroski
    U Molitor

STAFF:
    Morris
    Maddux
    Martinez, Pedro
    Marichal
    Mathewson
    McGinnity

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

@vintagefun said:
    Here's my Mays team...

OF Mays
    OF Mantle
    OF Musial
    1B McCovey
    2B Morgan
    3B Mathews
    SS Machado
    C Mackey
    DH Murray
    U Mazeroski
    U Molitor

STAFF:
    Morris
    Maddux
    Martinez, Pedro
    Marichal
    Mathewson
    McGinnity

I think we have a winner!

@JoeBanzai said:

@vintagefun said:
    Here's my Mays team...

OF Mays
    OF Mantle
    OF Musial
    1B McCovey
    2B Morgan
    3B Mathews
    SS Machado
    C Mackey
    DH Murray
    U Mazeroski
    U Molitor

STAFF:
    Morris
    Maddux
    Martinez, Pedro
    Marichal
    Mathewson
    McGinnity

I think we have a winner!

No Thurman at Catcher?

I'll do the W's

Wynn Early
    Walsh Ed
    Waddell Rube
    Welch Mickey
    Warneke Lon
    Wilhelm Hoyt
    Wagner Billy

C Wilson Jimmy
    1B Watson Bob
    2B Whittaker Lou
    3B Williams Matt
    SS Wagner Honus
    OF Williams Ted
    OF Walker Larry
    OF Williams Bernie
    U Williams Billy
    U Wright David

Couple of weak spots

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Munson was my first catcher for the Ms but Mackey allowed me to get a full HOF squad and add a N-League player.

My favorite "active" player growing up was Steve Garvey, so I made a run at the Gs. Within seconds I realized he wouldn't be playing first base for the Gs. So I took a loophole and placed him at 3rd since his RC did indeed list him at 3rd.

3B Garvey
    DH Greenberg
    1B Gehrig
    OF Griffey Jr
    2B Gehringer
    OF Guerrero, Vlad
    OF Gwynn
    C Gibson, Josh
    SS Garciaparra

U Gallaragga
    U Gaetti

STAFF:
    Guidry
    Gibson
    Glavine
    Gooden
    Greinke
    Gossage

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

@JoeBanzai said:
    dallas, do you have a particular favorite player, or do you just like the "R" team?

Nolan Ryan is my favorite player.

The "M" team is, and will be no matter what other letters people try, the runaway winner. But in the name of all that is holy, what is Jack Morris doing on there? You could easily fill two M teams with 5 starters and not befoul either one with him, and there's no relief pitcher (Mike Marshall, Tug McGraw).

@dallasactuary said:

@JoeBanzai said:

The "M" team is, and will be no matter what other letters people try, the runaway winner. But in the name of all that is holy, what is Jack Morris doing on there? You could easily fill two M teams with 5 starters and not befoul either one with him, and there's no relief pitcher (Mike Marshall, Tug McGraw).

That "G" team is LOADED! Entire starting 8 in HOF or worthy. They will hit!!!! Gibson the best starter but Glavine was better than I thought

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Dallas what's with Babe Ruth and Frank Robinson batting eighth and ninth.
    Don't you guys know how to put the players in lineup form?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lou Brock LF
    Wade Boggs 3B
    George Brett 1B
    Barry Bonds RF
    Johnny Bench C
    Mookie Betts CF
    Ernie Banks SS
    Yogi Berra DH
    Craig Biggio 2B

Pitchers
    Bert Blyleven
    Madison Bumgarner
    Jonathon Broxton

Reserves
    Cool Papa Bell
    Jeff Bagwell
    Carlos Beltran

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    So Dallas what's with Babe Ruth and Frank Robinson batting eighth and ninth.
    Don't you guys know how to put the players in lineup form?

He's listing his players by position number on the field, not in batting order form.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

The R team in batting order:

1B Rose, Pete .303 .784

Rose ended up being the odd man out since I picked a lineup with two leadoff hitters. Anyway, 2, 3, 4, 8 and 9 are where they need to be, the rest could be rearranged several ways.

@dallasactuary said:

@JoeBanzai said:

And as Morris plays to the score.....he would end the "M" team season at 24-6, with a 12.82 ERA

@Darin said:
    Lou Brock LF
    Wade Boggs 3B
    George Brett 1B
    Barry Bonds RF
    Johnny Bench C
    Mookie Betts CF
    Ernie Banks SS
    Yogi Berra DH
    Craig Biggio 2B

Pitchers
    Bert Blyleven
    Madison Bumgarner
    Jonathon Broxton

Reserves
    Cool Papa Bell
    Jeff Bagwell
    Carlos Beltran

Great hitting team! Maybe a little weak at pitcher.