Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is VAMWorld.com Going Away on July 31? I Sure Hope Not: Valuable Educational Resource

giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like Carson City Morgan dollars and have used VAMWorld.com extensively for years, both when I was a cataloger at Heritage and now as a self-employed dealer. But I see a notice from Wikispaces that says "It’s time to say farewell….. All free and classroom Wikis will become inaccessible at the end of this month. You must ensure any data that you require is exported before July 31st, 2018. For more information on how to do this, click HERE"

I am far from high-tech enough to know how all this works (I'm not even sure about the difference in a Wiki and a wicket, is that a croquet thing?), but I certainly hope that VAMWorld.com is not going to disappear at the end of this month.

What say you, VAMmers and techie experts? Is VAMWorld.com going to disappear into the cybervoid, or are there plans for SuperTech to come to the rescue?

Here is the link to the site; if you've never taken a look, I suggest you Do So Now, as Time May Be of the Essence.

VAMWorld.com

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be sad. Archive everything now as PDFs on your desktop.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been getting an alert that CAN goes bye bye on the 31st of July. I am trying to cross reference the data. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 What is CAN?

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not coin related, but one of my friends had the best in the world website on a portion of classic Mustang autos. Unfortunately, he was killed in Afghanistan a few years ago. His widow was kind enough to let us know about the ownership, etc. of the website, and we pooled some money to keep the domain active for the next several years.

We have another one where the owner of the website is missing. He was on his honeymoon, and this person, his new wife, and his plane are missing during a 60 mile island hop in the Caribbean. They have found some wreckage, but that is it. It is outside the United States, so we have copied the info from his website, in case it goes dark.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

VAM not CAN, my autocorrect speller for to it. Sorry☺. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now is the time to buy the book. I have a "pocket" version that I can carry in my pocket, and when needed just pull it out.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Yeah @AUandAG I have that too but there's no comparison ... The little pocket version is sure handy to take to shows though!

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

I believe there was another thread on this subject a few weeks ago. I thought someone posted there that people were working to find a new home for VamWorld.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2018 12:26PM

@AUandAG said:
    Now is the time to buy the book. I have a "pocket" version that I can carry in my pocket, and when needed just pull it out.

bob :)

The book is fine for those searching for info on the Top 100, but I'm guessing a high percentage of the people who visit Vamworld frequently are seeking a lot more than those. I have the "Big Vam Book", and it's great...but there has been so much more added since that was published. I have heard that there is a small group of folks from SSDC(Society of Silver Dollar Collectors)trying to move all of it to another domain. Hoping that happens.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The part I use occasionally is the variety listing by date/mint. Where is that going to be hosted?

• Options

I have not gotten a clear answer to my original question and I have no idea how to download this information. Anyone offering serious help? VAMmers? Thank you.

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018 5:27AM

@giorgio11 said:
    I have not gotten a clear answer to my original question and I have no idea how to download this information. Anyone offering serious help? VAMmers? Thank you.

Kind regards,

George

George you might want to email Ash Harrison. He probably knows what is going to happen with the vamworld info.

ash@ashmore.com

Interestingly...according the BRNA bourse map, he is set up right next to you! :)

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:

Kind regards,

George

the new site is up an running. the link is on the left-side banner on vamworld.com

i presume this will not be accessable after the 31st july 2018.

i'm not sure where the actual images/information is at right now. the info is in one or more of the threads at vamworld.com

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am the one migrating VAMWorld to a new platform. The message board has already been moved to a phpBB-based forum, and is accessible by the link above or at http://vwtest.varslab.com. The Wiki on the old VAMWorld will be made read-only fairly soon so that I can download all 8000 pages and images. I've written a bunch of scripts to do this and to automate conversion to the MediaWiki format so that I can import them all at once and the pages will more closely resemble what you see on Wikipedia. After I get that migration done and tested, then we'll move the vamworld.com domain to point to the new Wiki.

I'll be happy to answer more questions here or through PMs.

• Options

Thank you sir John @messydesk and God bless you for your work on this wonderful resource! I am so relieved!

Kindest and most sincere regards,

George

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file