Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Will Annam coins ever come into their own ? Here is a high grade 4 tien .

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is no. All the better for those who collect them.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe if Vietnam ever becomes capitalistic leaning like Russia and China have become.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vietnam has embraced capitalism and is a communist country. Uncle Sam destroyed that beautiful land for fifteen years. I wish I had collected their currency while I was there. That coin is really nice. All I have is some MPC. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Vietnam has embraced capitalism and is a communist country. Uncle Sam destroyed that beautiful land for fifteen years. I wish I had collected their currency while I was there. That coin is really nice. All I have is some MPC. Peace Roy

Appreciate your comment Namvet69. :)

And your service there!

• Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018 7:44AM

That 4 tien is very nice. It doesn't come around often in that condition
    NGC image is not the best, it doesn't look as dark in hand. The same Reign, 5 tien in different design. I am still looking for 1 lang in high grade. It's much harder to find but it doable with lots of luck.

Cash coin of this type is extremely tough to come by

Last but not least, the 50 dong is also extremely tough to come by. Only a handful known, the whole batch was destroyed due to the communist took over Vietnam in 1975

• Options

@NVU said:
    That 4 tien is very nice. It doesn't come around often in that condition
    NGC image is not the best, it doesn't look as dark in hand. The same Reign, 5 tien in different design. I am still looking for 1 lang in high grade. It's much harder to find but it doable with lots of luck.

Cash coin of this type is extremely tough to come by

Last but not least, the 50 dong is also extremely tough to come by. Only a handful known, the whole batch was destroyed due to the communist took over Vietnam in 1975

Some nice coins ......love that 5 tien !

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

From personal experience because I have been interested in Chinese cash coins since I was a kid - they were low value, nobody wanted them because they were hard to identify etc. The economic situation in China didn't add any interest from there - then the economy was cut loose from the bounds of the communist government and took off like a rocket. Now Chinese coins have appreciated considerably for scarcer pieces.

There are coin shows and coin shops in China, saw a couple of the latter two weeks ago when I was there.

So if Vietnam's economy opens up - expect interests in older coins to grow also.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the mid-1990s, Mexican coin dealers (who were Americans) used both the future economic prospects for Mexico AND the likely future good prospects for Mexicans living in the United States of America as reasons for expecting (or hoping) that Mexican coins would climb considerably in value. Those 1990s Mexican coin dealers would even want to factor in the obvious continued growth of the population of Mexico and the growing number of Mexican-Americans into their rosy scenarios.

Didn't all happen on the scale that those dealers projected, although many nice Mexican coin things are higher today.

If you compare Vietnam to Mexico, I would want to say that Mexico is still the brighter economic prospect. But I am not expecting real fireworks in Mexican coins.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    In the mid-1990s, Mexican coin dealers (who were Americans) used both the future economic prospects for Mexico AND the likely future good prospects for Mexicans living in the United States of America as reasons for expecting (or hoping) that Mexican coins would climb considerably in value. Those 1990s Mexican coin dealers would even want to factor in the obvious continued growth of the population of Mexico and the growing number of Mexican-Americans into their rosy scenarios.

Didn't all happen on the scale that those dealers projected, although many nice Mexican coin things are higher today.

If you compare Vietnam to Mexico, I would want to say that Mexico is still the brighter economic prospect. But I am not expecting real fireworks in Mexican coins.

Bill, Mexican dealers have been saying this since the 70s and probably the 60s when Mexican coins came on the radar. But as you say, it never happened to the degree they “hyped” it.

That said, I think Asia is a different animal due to many factors. Annam may never become popular because there aren’t enough coins, but I’m sure other Asian coins will.

Japan sure seems in the doldrums now though, doesn’t it?

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018 7:00PM

If China banks don't keep feeding Chinese businessmen loads and loads of money (a fair amount of loans that don't seem justified by actual business prospects) then the China bubble ends too.

But @pruebas is correct - the Mexican dealers hyperbole was greater, generally, than any subsequent reality.