Home Sports Talk
Options

....and so I humbly ask.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 7, 2018 2:19PM in Sports Talk

Who are the team sport GOATS that never won a championship?

legitimate categories only.

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Charles Barkley.
    Whether they are in GOAT territory is debatable, but they are all Hall Of Fame quality.

• Options

I have Marino ahead of Brady as GOAT. All the others that you mentioned are certainly praiseworthy....though Barkley is/was a putz.

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

By no means GOATs but fitting with the others listed...Patrick Ewing and Jim Kelly...great players that lost...maybe these are the GLOATs

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    I have Marino ahead of Brady as GOAT. All the others that you mentioned are certainly praiseworthy....though Barkley is/was a putz.

Glicker likes his GOATS soft and squishy

marino was not a winner , so I guess you are ok with the GOAT being unable to carry his team if needed to get the job done. Just put meaningless personal stats up and don't worry about team goals

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, Glicker just hates the Pats

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2018 5:38PM

Baseball: Ted Williams or Ernie Banks

Football: Dan Marino

Basketball: Patrick Ewing

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Teddy Ballgame for sure!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@grote15 said:

Grote must hate the Pats as well.

• Options
    edited July 7, 2018 7:26PM

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

Grote must hate the Pats as well.

All the all-time great Pats have rings already..,unless we include RBs in which case Curtis Martin would deserve some attention, assuming that we are discussing multiple GOATs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

My OP was misread. I should have spelled it out better. In the RB thread it was noted that the GOAT does not have to have won a championship, ie Barry Sanders. Being skeptical of that, I wanted to know which GOATS had not won a ring, not a list of the best of the non winners.

• Options
    edited July 7, 2018 7:41PM

@Coinstartled said:
    My OP was misread. I should have spelled it out better. In the RB thread it was noted that the GOAT does not have to have won a championship, ie Barry Sanders. Being skeptical of that, I wanted to know which GOATS had not won a ring, not a list of the best of the non winners.

In that case, the only player on my list that is possibly a candidate is Ted Williams, but I'd have to rank Ruth ahead of him.

For football, as Perk stated in the RB thread, the GOAT discussion revolves invariably around a QB. Both Montana and Brady have won rings, so no candidates there.

Jordan has won rings in basketball and so has Gretzky in hockey, so no candidates in those sports, either.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was this dude on the Bay City Rollers that was the best jammer that I’ve ever seen. They couldn’t win crap

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

GOAT is singular, not plural. Thus only one person per sport is allowed. Of course many will disagree on who the GOAT in each sport is, but the list of names in each sport touted as the GOAT invariably will primarily be comprised of players who have won a championship. For baseball Ted Williams was mentioned. Is he the GOAT in baseball? I thought the Bambino was and he won championships.

I do not know if there is a GOAT in any sport who has not won a championship because there is no agreement on who the GOAT in each sport is.

• Options

As I mentioned above, Williams is the only one that is even close to a claim but I'd rank Ruth and possibly Mays ahead of him.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only guy close in football would be Barry Sanders but I'm not sure too many people would call him the GOAT.

• Options

I call him the GOAT RB often, I have for years.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have Barry as the GOAT rb

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    Only guy close in football would be Barry Sanders but I'm not sure too many people would call him the GOAT.

But if your talking about the GOAT period then no. I might have misunderstood your post

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    There was this dude on the Bay City Rollers that was the best jammer that I’ve ever seen. They couldn’t win crap

m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57g5Z_3kXOE

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vintagefun said:
    By no means GOATs but fitting with the others listed...Patrick Ewing and Jim Kelly...great players that lost...maybe these are the GLOATs

Elgin Baylor would be the GLOAT of the NBA after going 0-8 in the NBA Finals.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

for football-Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Dan Fouts and Tony Gonzalez

• Options

Dickerson was damn good.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's another for football,Larry Fitzgerald is gonna finish top 2-3 in most career WR categories by the time he's done and i doubt he gets a SB ring unless he decides to leave the Cards.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Antonio Brown has no ring yet either

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

But if your talking about the GOAT period then no. I might have misunderstood your post

No, that was exactly my point. The only guys in the discussion for GOAT in football have all won titles. The only guy close to the discussion would be Barry but nobody considers him as being in consideration for GOAT.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well then, it appears as if no major sports team GOAT has ever not won a championship, which means that this thread has been a total waste of my valuable internet viewing time...except for the fact that after watching the Bay City Rollers video, I suddenly realize now that they are the GOAT rock and roll band.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Here's another for football,Larry Fitzgerald is gonna finish top 2-3 in most career WR categories by the time he's done and i doubt he gets a SB ring unless he decides to leave the Cards.

Larry is awesome , it will be a shame to see him go

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Bonds

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57g5Z_3kXOE

The other ones

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing spells quality better than a lip-synched music video pretending to be a real performance or a well rehearsed roller derby match pretending to be a real sport.

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Charles Barkley.
    Whether they are in GOAT territory is debatable, but they are all Hall Of Fame quality.

Good ole john stockton

• Options

I bought some roller blades at a yard sale , the guy asked me if I wanted the knee and elbow pads for an extra $5 . I foolishly declined.

yadda yadda yadda

unless I had strapped them to my face they wouldn't have done me any good