Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card collection-what to do?

Hello fellow collectors,

I have a modest card collection from when I was a kid. I have been saving it for my son who is now 12. I have recently begun to get a few cards graded, (like Griffey Jr, Ripken, Mattingly, Henderson rookie cards), which came back PSA 8s and a 6 for the Henderson. They aren't worth much money now, so I'm debating whether to continue grading my collection or whether to not spend the money on grading. I think I want to start selling the cards with my son and hanging on to a small group of cards. What have you guys done with your collection?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I was in a similar situation, a large, not that bad, collection from when I was a kid in the 80s. I got some free time when I was older and started organizing a bit better. I decided to get the better ones graded, primarily because I didn't want to sell now, but wanted my family to easily know what they had for some day in the future. Once I started getting some graded, one of my two kids became interested and started collecting. That got me back into the hobby and here we are.

If you are certain you want to sell, then my advice is to only get those graded that (1) have a premium attached to quality, but be honest about the quality you have. If you are new to grading, you might overestimate (we all do), or (2) are cards that people just aren't comfortable buying without being graded (Jordan rookie for example)

If you get anything else graded with plans to sell, keep in mind the premium of graded over raw has to account for grading fees, postage/insurance back and forth to CA, and depending on platform, additional selling fees (lower % but higher $ probably).

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2018 6:27AM

Hello i think certain cards sell better graded.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, hello, how are ya? - welcome :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Thanks for the comments. My next step is to join PSA and submit 15 cards from various years, manufactuerers and seeing what grades I get. My sample size of 5 is too small right now. I admit I was disappointed with the Henderson 6 but I'm new to grading. Then there is the question of what to do with all the commons I have still in the boxes. They have been taking up space in a bin for years.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest taking the time to carefully sort the cards. Seperate Rookies, Superstars and cards that appear to be PERFECT and check ebay completed listings.

You will need to get "good" at grading cards. I have a bright light and use a magnifier, newer cards need to be flawless in most cases. Corners, centering, surface! Make sure there are no creases in the cards. Of course any writing or marks on the card will almost always eliminate any value.

Some commons can be worth money if they are hard to find in top condition. Check the PSA population report.

Good luck and have fun!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Great advice guys, Thanks!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

What have you guys done with your collection?

I'm one of those who can't part with anything.

Part collector/part pack rat/part hoarder/part OCD/part nuts.

Mike
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks about your Henderson's. I sent in 4 and 3 came back PSA 6 or less and one came back a PSA 8.

For help on grading you can always scan and post the cards on here, the members have keen eyes.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

At the expense of sounding stupid, how do you check EBay completed listings? Thanks in advance!

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2018 7:54PM

Just scroll down and check the box on the left side after you do the search. You have to scroll down a ways to get to it.