Home Q & A Forum
Options

curious to this coin's worth

epphirenepphiren Posts: 1
edited July 6, 2018 7:08PM in Q & A Forum

hi there! i am relatively new to the whole coin collecting business so i need some help!
i am aware that this coin is not worth very much, as it is quite scuffed and even has a sort of hole punched into it (and on that note, what in the world would cause that?) but it is still cool to know it's over a century old so tell me what you guys think :)

edit: fixed the images, let me know if i they are too big

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well under $10. Welcome to the forum.

• Options
    TomaToma Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

The condition seems to be "cull". My redbook says the coin you have in "Good" condition is worth 2 bucks so unfortunately I don't believe your coin is worth much, maybe a dollar. Still a really cool piece. Good news is that cull coins are sometimes better because then you don't feel bad when you mess around with them.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beat up and beautiful at the same time. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

Worth about $2.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    NLLNLL Posts: 34

The coin is really beat and can typically be found in a dealer's junk bin for less then a dollar.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shot with a BB gun.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a quarter or so.

• Options

I would buy it for a dollar.

• Options

What is this? Doesn’t that look like an S?

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two years away from being wotht a cool million. Still, over a hundred and fifty years old.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Two years away from being wotht a cool million. Still, over a hundred and fifty years old.

Might be time to work on those math skills...

To the original poster, someone offered to buy it for $1 so it’s worth $1. I think it would be a hard sell for more than that. Welcome to the hobby!

Also, the comment about 2 years away refers to the 1913 Liberty Nickel of which 5 are known and all are worth well over $1MM. This coin has a mintage of almost 40MM.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2018 1:34PM

@Coppergold said: "What is this? Doesn’t that look like an S?"

Yes, "LOOKS" like an "S" but it is not. **I see a tiny "star" under the right leg of the first "A" in "America." It's the same type of "trick" to the eye.

• Options

Boy you got a good eye. I didn’t even notice that one!! Yeah I figured it would be damage lol.