Home Sports Talk
Options

A lifetime of sports and only a small bowling trophy to show for it.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Played softball, ran distance noncompetitively, plenty of pick up basketball, backyard basketball.

For all of this, all I have (well I had) about a four inch wooden bowling pin that I earned for finishing last place in a 1966 kids league. It did note my 78 or so average and 108 high game!

No 10k fun run participation patches or any of those cool 4 foot tall trophies will fling angels that the jocks have a room full of.

I did once slam a soft ball deep into the gap and caught the dodgem ball thrown by the guy that never lost. Got 2 and nearly 3 goals in a tough Jr high field hockey match and got sent to the hospital the day that the IM quarterback agreed to let me take the snap for one play.

All in all well worth the time and effort!

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i find myself mildly aroused by your athletic achievements

• Options

A "like" would be preferred.

I did once catch up with marathon champ Bill Rodgers on a training run. That had me breathing hard.

B)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old saying is better to have participated in sports and been mediocre, than to have never participated at all. :)

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to brag but I play in a lot of match play at the local golf club. I have never finished worse than second.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Not to brag but I play in a lot of match play at the local golf club. I have never finished worse than second.

i see what you did there

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never very good at Basketball or Football. But was on a lot of Volleyball teams that won 1st. Could spike with either hand.

Hit .655 one year in Fast Pitch Softball. Took "Gene B" the best pitcher in the league to deep center field off the wall for a triple....missed a HR by inches.

Ran a 100 yard dash 10 flat once. That's about it. :)B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

:o

• Options
    edited July 6, 2018 10:08AM

@DIMEMAN said:

if it's 3rd and 5 on the opponents 20 and we're down by 4 with less than a minute to go, i'm giving you the rock over barry sanders

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Played softball, ran distance noncompetitively, plenty of pick up basketball, backyard basketball.

For all of this, all I have (well I had) about a four inch wooden bowling pin that I earned for finishing last place in a 1966 kids league. It did note my 78 or so average and 108 high game!

No 10k fun run participation patches or any of those cool 4 foot tall trophies will fling angels that the jocks have a room full of.

I did once slam a soft ball deep into the gap and caught the dodgem ball thrown by the guy that never lost. Got 2 and nearly 3 goals in a tough Jr high field hockey match and got sent to the hospital the day that the IM quarterback agreed to let me take the snap for one play.

All in all well worth the time and effort!

You have inspired me to continue my rather sedentary lifestyle...with the exception of my elbow-bending prowess at the Elk's club during Tuesday night's poker game.

I do sheepishly admit to winning two piano recitals as a kid and have a couple of small busts of Mozart. I only won them from sheer fear of not hitting a sour note...that and my parents sitting in the front row, as the stage lights grilled me in my tweed suit. I trust finger dexterity playing the Warsaw Concerto and Grieg's Concerto in A minor are worthy. B)

Oh yeah...almost got paralyzed playing High School football....this in my lame attempt to impress the opposing gender, as I was only 16, and they were 17/18. After my recuperation period, I quickly realized I had to make do with my student tickets and impress with other skills. ;)

• Options
    edited July 6, 2018 10:04AM

Your prowess on the piano is impressive. Best I could do was cymbals in HS marching band. Did a great Inna Gadda Da Vida drum solo as well!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still have a first place trophy from 1975, for a summer recreation league basketball team playing at Washington Park in Denver, Colorado. Gathering dust for decades. I still look at it once a year or so and remember the good old days when I could jump to 11'6" and dunk on a 10' rim with ease.

Today my dunking is limited to Oreo cookies in a glass of milk.