Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1915 Magic Lantern Slides - Frank Schulte

Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I believe this is one of the more unusual items I’ve picked up over the years.

This is a tough one to post since it's not cards and I'm hoping I don't fully hear the sound of crickets?

These are 1915 baseball themed Magic Lantern Slides of Pat Moran, Jake Daubert, Ed Fitzpatrick and Harry Harper.

They’re in varying degrees of quality but still a cool addition.

Slides are 3X4"

First - tho I understand the principle, I had never heard of Magic Lanterns until I had read about them in the book Take Me Out to the Ballgame by Tim Wiles - they advertised the music e.g.

These lanterns go back to the 1600s - but illumination was poor (by oil e.g.), in the 1800s, they used to burn limestone which produced a very hot white emission of light.

For those who may not know? The term being in the “Limelight” comes from just that kind of light source in theater stages - not just for the magic lantern.

The lanterns were used extensively during the “silent film” era to advertise before an audience who were waiting for the movie to start e.g.

First up:

Pat Moran - 1915

1915 was his rookie year as a manager of the Phillies went well - didn’t hurt that he had 3 HOF’ers on the roster in Pete Alexander, Dave Bancroft and Eppa Rixey.

The team went 90 and 62. Unfortunately they lost to the Red Sox 4 games to 1 in the WS.

As you can see The Haverhill Electric Co. was the sponsor of the projection.

And next:

Jake Daubert - played in 1915 for the Brooklyn Robins.

Had a respectable .303 lifetime BA - 15 yrs in the MLs. He was also the 1913 NL MVP and 1913 NL batting title and also the 1914 NL batting title.

He made $9K in 1915.

(this one showed up better backwards)

And:

Ed Fitzpatrick - played 3 yrs for the Boston Braves.

Not much to say - a .227 BA

Kind of sad since the slide has "keep an eye on him fans."

(also backwards for clarity - my scanner is crap!)

And last:

Harry Harper - played 10 yrs in the MLs - was with the Senators in 1915.

He had a less than stellar pitching record of 57-76

(this one is very poor - the seller got a better scan than I) *these are negatives and tough to scan

What I found interesting here - Clark Griffith made it look like WoJo better watch out - this guy's gonna upstage you?

These are well made - if in good quality - since they're negatives on glass slides - I would guess one could reproduce and make pictures of them?

Well, thanx for viewing - as I said - these are very rare from the early 1900s - first I've ever seen of BB players on the slides.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting and unique, thanks for sharing! Neat piece of history and background on the magic lantern.

• Options

Thanx Steve.

I was sure this wouldn't get much interest - but I try.

Mike
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Awesome collectibles! I always learn something new from your posts!

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options

@rounding3rd said:
    Awesome collectibles! I always learn something new from your posts!

Thanx Mike!

Much appreciated. I was hoping that early slides like this would be interesting.

Mike
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very much enjoyed the historical slides and related info. Especially about the trivia "being in the limelight". Please post more pixs/info. when you can of the non-card memorabilia. I like that side of the hobby, as you don't get to view those type of things as often as you do the cardboard.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Hi everyone

Picked up a few more.

First up: this player is kind of interesting due to the "Black Sox" connection

Eddie Murphy - WS *1919

Played 11 yrs in MLs with a lifetime BA .287 - was considered a great hitter - played with A's, White Sox and Pirates.

He was a WS winner in 1913 with the A's (against the Giants).

Played on the notorious “Black Sox” of 1919 - unfortunately and fortunately he had only 3 plate appearances and "0" for the series. Thus, he was in no way part of or implicated in the scandal.

What was interesting?

When interviewed later on after the scandal, he noted that there were cliques within cliques on the team and that the “8” were always seen together - even during batting practice.

He was dubbed “Honest Eddie” by the press.

Also of note, after the scandal - the owner - Comiskey gave each scandal-free player the difference between winner and loser WS money. If I remember, that was about 1500 bucks extra? Righteous bucks in 1919 I would say.

I'm kind of guessing the caption which in essence says that Eddie will "upstage" Baker? Not sure that ever really happened? Hype?

Mike
  • Options

Thanx for the kind words Paul.

Mike
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Very cool. I've never heard of those before. I learned something new today. :)

• Options

@FINESTKIND said:
    Very cool. I've never heard of those before. I learned something new today. :)

Thanx Dave.

Mike
  • Options

Slow nite. Not much interest in this but what the heck.

Frank Schulte - Cubs - (1904-15)

Has a lifetime BA .270 with 94 HR’s

Was the 1911 NL MVP and played on both WS Champ teams in 07 and 08.

Also of historical note - May 19, 1915 - Schulte scored the only run when he stole home in the game.

The Suffragette Party was offering $5 to those who scored - they were drawing attention to the movement to gain women the right to vote - they’re tagline: Vote November 2nd!

To add: what a coincidence that I also have the Zimmerman plate (will show later) - he was an “anti-suffragette” guy - he felt women "had their place." Motive? Bad marriage - paying a lot of alimony.

In that game Schulte played LF and Zimmerman 2B for the Cubs.

Mike
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:35AM

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like these and related trivia.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Thanx guys.

I have a small but loyal following of my crap.

Mike