Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: House of Schwarzenberg Taler

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed out on this a few years back and it came up on yesterday's Schulman sale (Dutch) which allowed me to try again.

Schwarzenberg is a Czech (Bohemian) and German (Franconian) aristocratic family, and it was one of the most prominent European noble houses. The Schwarzenbergs are members of the Czech nobility and German nobility and achieved the rank of Princes of the Holy Roman Empire. The family belongs to the high nobility and traces its roots to the Lords of Seinsheim during the Middle Ages.

1696-MIM. Schwarzenberg. Ferdinand Wilhelm Eusebius (1652-1703) Taler. Kremnitz mint. DAV-7702. KM-17. Mintmaster: Martin Josef Mayerl. Obv: Conjoined busts of Ferdinand and Maria Anna. FERDINAND ET MARIA ANNA. Rev: Two crowned and mantled shields, date above, legend begins at bottom. Reverse legend variety: D: G: PRINC. A SCHWARZENBERG.HAERES.LANDGRAVIA.IN SVLZ+. Almost proof like contrasts between fields and devices. A flashy example of this scarce issue in a stunning state of technical preservation, with a marvelous cabinet patina and needle-sharp detail throughout the devices. PCGS MS-66.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

An amazingly well struck and high grade piece! Just think of what it took to get a strike like that in 1696.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Schwarzenberg is on my wantlist, but probably something more in my budget. ;)

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gosh.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Sharp indeed. I saw this thread on my phone but I had to wait to view that one in its full glory on my pc. Very nice.

I am not familiar with Schulman. Have you worked with them in the past?

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy said:
    Sharp indeed. I saw this thread on my phone but I had to wait to view that one in its full glory on my pc. Very nice.

I am not familiar with Schulman. Have you worked with them in the past?

Thanks - I have bought/sold to Schulman at the NYINC. They have been around since pre WWII.

• Options
    NLLNLL Posts: 34

Nice coin!