Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OT - How do you get super glue off metal that has baked color paint on it? Problem solved thanks.

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 29, 2018 4:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have a expensive sign with painted surface and lettering on it. We tried to super glue a poster frame around it and the job went very bad. How do I get the glue off without hurting the surface. My wife is frantic.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2018 4:12PM

Add a tiny drop of supper glue at the edge over the paint. When it dries, roll a moist Q-tip w/acetone on the tiny area. If the paint is not affected, you can use acetone on the sign.

What if you cut down the size of the sign by removing the glue covered edge.

I know where you'll be sleeping tonight.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2018 4:15PM

perhaps freezing it and cracking it off. also, some super glues do not like water, but you better be patient with a soak.

if the super glue has mind melded with the paint, you are out of luck, though.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Add a tiny drop of supper glue at the edge over the paint. When it dries, roll a moist Q-tip w/acetone on the tiny area. If the paint is not affected, you can use acetone on the sign.

What if you cut down the size of the sign by removing the glue covered edge.

I know where you'll be sleeping tonight.

It sounds like he'll be sleeping with one eye open. :o;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super glue on an expensive sign??? :o No comment.

If none of the above works, maybe get a nice frame and frame the whole mess so as to cover the mistakes.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, it may be time for a wide professional metal frame.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file