Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

This is really interesting. Wonder if the other companies will follow?

"Later this summer, SGC will also begin offering a ‘Grader Notes Option’ which will allow customers to review the notes made by its graders as they examined a card, which will help better explain the reasons why it received a certain grade."

Looks like they have listened to the market and are trying to become more legit. This seems to be the biggest complaint with grading - no accountability. Wonder if BVG and PSA will have to eventually follow?

This was neat too:

“Customers will be able to see the images of these cards via our new ‘certification number look-up’ feature. This will allow customers to further verify authenticity by comparing the card they are planning to purchase _with its image on the SGC site _and be confident that it is actually the same card that SGC graded. "

I like that as well. Too many times I wonder if a slab has been tampered with. Do PSA or BVG already do this?

https://sgccard.com/The-New-SGC-is-Almost-Here

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

Comments

• I like how CGC does grader notes for comics and very interested to see how it works out for cards.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the concept.

In the era of hi tech stuff, there's no reason why a grader can't be talking into a mic such that it's auto written into the record - transcribed for the customer to see.

I want to be fair in cards that are done in bulk of 100 at 5 bucks per.

Having said that - for more expensive cards where you are paying a lot for authentication/grading? The grader notes need - IMO - to be part of the grading process.

Of course, even with notes - the submitter - if unhappy with the final grade - may not agree with what they read?

Mike
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting concept.

PSA grades well over a million more cards a year than SGC does so it doubtful they will adopt such a strategy. With the cost of grading having already risen substantially in the past few years I am not sure if it would be economically feasible.

I do think for a small shop like SGC it is smart to try new innovative things to try and garner back some market share.

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Anyone have pics of the new flips theyre supposedly going to use?

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

The only thing I wish psa would do like sgc is grade a card regardless if it’s trimmed/altered as A. Some cards I get back in a slab as AA (authentic/altered) some I get back with just a flip. It’s really frustrating.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a thought. Will this extra level cause the grading process to slow a bit more,hence return times delayed a bit more? Tack on an extra minute or so times thousands of cards one would think it's possible/probable. But it may be worth the extra wait as one will have a listed reason(s) for the grade assigned from those comments.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • We'll see, but I agree this could be interesting. It could also be a way for SGC to offer premium elements of service for collectors (as opposed to investors/professional sellers).

I've already found SGC very good to work with on less common submissions (e.g., Greiner Tire Pirates, 1954 All Star Photo Pack, and other odd ball items), and that they are willing to negotiate on bulk or atypical materials directly. This extra personal touch differentiates them from PSA a bit in my mind (though I get it, PSA is the industry standard for sellers/investors, and they don't have to try to differentiate on other elements).

It's also interesting to see the these things go back and forth - I'd say Becket's sub-grades were very similar, fundamentally, to "grader notes." Yet, that didn't get copied by other TPGs and was even discontinued by Beckett

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

the subgrades would answer most of our questions. like when you a see an off centered 10 from some of your favorite sellers. if the graders were made to put subgrades, i think it would lower the number of 10's and provide the grader with proper info.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Seems like a great idea. Maybe for submissions valued over $499?