Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Legit ancient?

I don't think this is authentic, the surfaces look off and there's no date/date range. Please post your thoughts. Unfortunately, this is my only image.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have very little experience with these but I don't like the look of it. I vote fake.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks cast.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where does that BN* number take you. Who's flip and label style is that? Inquiring minds want to know. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Nothing is immediately alarming in that photograph, but I would have to see reverse, edge, and know the weight before being able to make any kind of decision.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the responses. I have some better images . The coin weighs 16.9 grams.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks more authentic in the second photo. Regardless, it needs to be seen by someone who really knows the coins in that series ... and that isn't me.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Thank you for the responses, suggestions. Here are the last images, 1 of the edge (best i could get) and of the flip it came in.

Thank you again, everyone

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Looks just fine to me. I'd buy and sell it as genuine.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2018 4:55AM

I see no red flags, it looks consistent with other examples I've handled.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

Thank you everyone for the opinions. A friend of mine is thinking of buying it from someone that has had it since the mid 1980's. My friend will happen to be in downtown Chicago and the owner is allowing him to bring it to Harlan Berks. I'll post the results when i get them.
    Thanks again for the opinions and suggestions.

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Looks ok to me. New Style Athens tetradrachm from the mid-late 2nd century BC. Retail somewhere in the $250-350 range.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    NLLNLL Posts: 34

Your coin looks real however I would caution the flip. The flip looks like a PIC flip which over time can leach and damage the coin.