Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Finding Value on the Forum; Draymond Green cut-card art by Tim Carroll

My quest for PSA 9's in the 70's has taken a pause. Haven't seen much worth buying over the past 18 months. Bid on the '76 #1 registry set, but got blown away by $100K. Sniped a few PWCC cards, but keep losing by shipping costs; (#oneincrementtoolow, #iownsecondplace). Ho-hum, just another underbidder swimming through the e-bay pool of bidders.

One of the pure joys in this hobby is the many different collecting interests form which we spend our time. Between the various sports and eras, types of grades and conditions, and unopened, there's a place for everyone in this hobby. If your collecting interest becomes tiresome or over-valued, just move into another one; it's virtually limitless.

This pause has given me some extra funds to do something outside my area of expertise. A purchase that is not based on ROI, TPG, or IPO, but pure emotional happiness. A custom cut-card art piece of someone I idolize, Draymond Green.

I know this guy is not well liked outside the Bay Area, but he is an absolute rockstar here. Draymond, IMO, is the engine that drives the Warriors. How could you not want to emulate an athlete that gives 110% every minute of the game. Not sure why I'm so fascinated with Draymond, but was enough to commission Tim on this wonderful work of art. Super pleased with the result, and I'll post another photo when it's framed and on the wall in my SF office.

Kudos to Tim for making this so I can admire my favorite athlete every day.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
Prefer to buy in bulk.

Comments

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim does amazing work! Congratulations on adding a piece of his art to your collection, I'm hoping to add one to mine in the near future.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Tim does amazing work! Congratulations on adding a piece of his art to your collection, I'm hoping to add one to mine in the near future.

+1

Mike
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a cool piece of art. Totally get it as I followed Draymond at Michigan State. It will look great in your office and look forward to seeing a pict of it in your office.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an amazing piece of art!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

JB that is a great looking piece of art. Obviously as a fellow Warriors fan, I get what you are saying about Draymond. If his career continues to unfold as it has and the team continues on their present arc I think he will be a HOFer some day. I know you are mostly a baseball card guy, have you picked up any of his cards though?

Steve
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Steve, I only have Draymond from the Excalibur, and then the Prizm we bought together. no others. May try and buy the "hampton 5" rookie cards soon.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

JB, I have a partial rainbow of his Prizm RCs. What I call the "budget rainbow" (base, Silver and Green). 2012 was the inaugural year of Prizm. Every year since Prizm has gotten more popular and Panini has printed more and more cards and created more and more parallels. The Silver and Green Prizms from this first set are far harder to pull than the present day versions. One thing special to me about this group is that they were all subbed by me for their 10's :)

Before Excalibur came Crusade. The Crusade brand would evolve into Excalibur. One of my favorite inserts from Panini were the original Crusade "Prizms" from 2012. I have a couple of his "Prizms" from this set and will look for more in the future. The Purple is #'d 4/49.

Steve
  • Options

Steve, that is so sweet. Hopefully I will see it in person some day. jb

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

Finally got around to putting this up. Love it!

Prefer to buy in bulk.