Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Appraisals

Does anyone here know of anyone who does appraisals?? I need to have one done and can;t find anyone who does them.

Thank you

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you appraising?

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

a PSA graded collection

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insurance or resale? If it's for insurance and If it's items prior to 2000 sign up for a month of VCP. Post 2000 completed eBay sales should give you a good ballpark.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

I need to have a 3rd party actually do the appraisal.

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Check with any local auction houses. Some do them. I believe Steiner Sports does them or once has.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@halosfan said:
    I need to have a 3rd party actually do the appraisal.

I would consider emailing PSA and see if they have someone they trust in your area?

Mike
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

I think ha.com does them too

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

For insurance?

• Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I read Mr. Mint used to charge 1% of the retail value as the appraisal fee. What a scam. Nothing to prevent him from saying your collection is worth $200K instead of $100K and pocketing an extra grand. Make sure you are paying an hourly rate or a flat fee based off of the appraiser's initial assessment on how long it will take.

I learned from my old boss Adam at DACW why it's never a good idea for a dealer to do appraisals. He used to do them from time to time for some relatively easy cash, until he got dragged into divorce court when a wife was contesting the value of her soon to be ex-husband's collection. Nothing worse than to get dragged into someone else's divorce battle over assets, especially without getting paid a second time for it. I get asked every now and then if we do appraisals, and that story always gets me to say no.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would get 2 appraisals,then compare/average out both. Kind of like comparative shopping and checks and balances. Look for any discrepancies between the 2. But that's just me.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".