Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 Graded Set Auction Result

Thanks to everyone from these pages who might of bid on this set. The final price was $19001+$2851=$21851. It was the highest realized price in the auction. The winner will be thrilled I guarantee it. I must say I'm more upset than I thought I would be at selling the set. I almost wanted to buy it back last night! The low Pop cards are going to be really difficult to replace. The set did fall in the range I was expecting the set to sell for ($19000-$20000) so I am very pleased with the result. Thanks again everyone.

Bob

Comments

• Options
    Bob,

I am sure it was hard letting such a great set go.... But I am glad to hear that you are happy with results and hopefully you came out ahead on the Sale image

Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Great job Gaspipe! I was watching your auction move, and I'm glad you received a solid price for such a great set.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Congratulations on the sale! I do wonder what your net would of been if sold on ebay...even though the price realized was $21+k...your net is a % if the $19k (i believe thats correct). Do you think the set would of sold for more than..say $16,500 on ebay?

John
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    John:

If I had to speculate, I would say this: The set would not have realized much more than $16,500 on ebay. If it was broken up and sold separately, it very well may have gone much higher -- but there is a lot of time and other costs associated with breaking up such a large graded set...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

MS-

How about simply selling the set...just like it was sold with Superior (70%something complete) ?

John
  • Options
    MS-

So what you are saying is that the high bidder out there was willing to pay $5-6k higher for the privilege of going through Superior? Would the same gentlemen preferred paying $20k even on ebay..if given the choice?

John
  • Options
    Bob,

My warmest congratulations! As a devote 69' collector your set was always a definitive point of reference to what can be achieved. The quality keys and the incredibly tough low POPs leave me quite envious of the new owner. I am sure all my fellow 69' collectors feel likewise.
    Best of luck to you as you move forward on your replacement set; which in a very short time is already very impressive.

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    John:

What I am saying is that a lot of the big money players don't have the time, preference or computer-saviness to trull through Ebay auctions.

Surprising as it may be, there are a large number of collectors out there who do not spend any time on the Internet. I am sure that there are many such collectors who have collections that are valued in the six to seven figure range.

Additionally, let's use Davalillo as our resident example. He has an amazing run of cards, has been collecting for an enormous period of time, and his collection is highly respected in all collecting circles; I won't even speculate on the value of such a collection. Nonetheless -- he is a busy man who works many hours and thus limits himself to a few key auctions over the course of a year.

There are many others just like him. I think you will find that the vast number of autographs/memorabilia valued at over $2,000 does much better through auction houses than Ebay (for authenticity and other reasons). With card, I think that the majority of cards valued over $5,000 are traded more frequently and for higher prices through traditional auction houses than a place like Ebay. Ebay has certainly changed the landscape of the collecting world -- but for the high $$$ items, I think that most big-time buyers would prefer to deal with a reputable dealer/auction house (with whom they've dealt for years), in an environment that is much more sound and secure than Ebay.

I use Ebay extensively -- but I find that nearly 75% of the high $$$ items I pursue I end up obtaining through the auction houses. This topic is a very good one to debate. I'm not sure how much better/worse the 1969 set would have done on Ebay. But I can nearly guarantee you that the 1950 Bowman Richie Ashburn PSA 9 would not have reached such high level on Ebay. And I would feel comfortable saying that about some other cards as well.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    rbeatonrbeaton Posts: 631
    gaspipe,
    Congratulations on the sale. I hope you got what you wanted out of it.

mikeschmidt,
    I agree with everything you said, and would like to add that unless you are specifically searching Ebay for something, you would never see it. When I get the Superior (or other) auction catalog, I browse through it and see things I want but weren't actively searching for.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    Bob,

Congratulations on your auction success. I'm sure your next 1969 set will meet or exceed the quality of this one.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    Congratulations. I have a succinct feeling that the "new" set will surpass the original. Just a hunch image
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Congratulations on the results Bob! That's a great closing price. Do you know if a dealer or collector won it? On one hand, I'd hate to see the set broken up. But on the other hand, it will be an opportunity for many of us to fill in our sets.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    MS-

You make some good points..but with regards to Davalillo, he most likely would of preferred to deal directly with the seller thus saving himself the 15% "juice". He may not go this route in every case...but from confirmed deals that I know of..as well as...his posts, he is willing to deal with people 1-one-1.

I also recognize that this item is a bit different than say a single card worth $5k+. When dealing with a single card one needs to take into consideration the reputation of the seller as you are bidding basically from a scan...the same concept would also hold true with raw sets. With a graded set however....you are bidding on the sum (70%+ complete) rather than each of the individual parts. The charm of the set is its near-completeness and with the set registry can be easily described on ebay. Vargha has proven one can be successful selling high end sets in this medium.

Also, in regards to non-computer savvy collectors....lets face it...if a $20k GRADED set is available on ebay, word will spread like wildfire. I'm positive that a affluent collector has enough "contacts" in the hobby that he would be contacted immediately (via phone) when an auction of this magnitude arises. Heck...half the bidders are probably dealers looking to quickly turn it over to him anyway and make a few bucks.

John Basilone
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of high $ bids on eBay, what was the bids on that '86 PSA-10 Basketball set? The first time the seller had it running when he had a Buy It Now for like a million. That was the talk of the town. If something good & desirable is on eBay, the buyers will find it. Ask SKYLANEFLYER about his big $ sale...jay
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Gaspipe,

Congratulations on the sale! As a fellow set-builder, you give me peace of mind, that there is a market out there for sets. Thank you for that.

E-Bay Debaters,

I agree that the auction houses prices realized are usually higher. Looking at some of the results in the SMR under "auction watch", I noticed comparable items sell for far more than on E-Bay. However, I think that some of the "big" players in the registry are on E-Bay. Marshall Fogel just bought a piddly little 1964 Topps PSA 8 team card for me on E-Bay. Maybe just timing, but who knows. Also, Davalillo has stated that he makes massive submissions (2000-3000 cards) to PSA every few months, because his time is very precious. In fact, I had some 1964's that I offered him, and he told me he just received 400 back from PSA! Geez! Probably the best scenario would be if a seller was lucky enough to find a collector, who wanted the set, and sold it privately (no E-Bay fees, commissions, or buyer's fees).

Bernie
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options

<< <i>Looking at some of the results in the SMR under "auction watch", I noticed comparable items sell for far more than on E-Bay. >>

Im speaking purely in regards to graded PSA sets. I would be interested to hear where the above quote would apply towards PSA sets. My feeling is that the jury is still out and as there are not enough examples to prove that the net proceeds would be higher using an auction house rather than ebay. As a seller, I could care less about realized price....net proceeds would be my target number.

As more complete (or near complete) graded PSA sets are put on the block over the next couple of years....we should have clearer picture. One point that cannot be debated is that the seller will net a bigger percentage of the realized price using eBay.

John
  • Options
    Bernie - He needs to share those '64s... I can always use a few more.... 22 more cards and counting in PSA 8.... then it's upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.....
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I have a couple of point to add to the discussion:

1)Mike Schmidtt is absolutely right in his comments that many serious vintage collectors lack the "time, preference and/or computer-saviness to troll through ebay auctions". I would add to this from my perspective, I do not want to do business with people I do not know--three years back on two different occasions cards I bought on ebay just did not arrive. Now I know I have recourse but this is an enormous pain in the neck. Secondly and even more importantly, I have a return option on any vintage card I buy. That would generlly not be available on ebay. I realize there are scans but sometimes there is no substitute for seeing the card up close.
    2)Secondly, Basilone is correct in that if the seller is reputable I would rather deal directly with the seller. This is obviously after the fact but I did tell gaspipe after he had listed this with superior that I would probably pay him smr for it ($19,000). I would not however pay the $19,000 plus 15%. If he had approached me or just announced on the set registry what he was doing and his price--lets say smr of $19,000--he very likely would have had a sale and come out ahead at the end of the day. While I do have a nrmt-mt ungraded set of 69s, whoever said there are a lot of o/c's was right--back when I assembled the set centering did not mean as much.

Anyway, send me an e-mail if you have vintage cards or sets psa 8 or better for sale--you might just save yourself time and money.

Davalillo
  • Options
    Hi Davalillo,

Just curious if you have a nice #78 Satriano, #110 Shannon and #21 Santiago in your '69 set. We always talk about these and other tough commons on this board. Particularly the Shannon which last check had only one graded in PSA 8. Do you have plans to grade out the set?
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    davalillo 1rst let me say your set are to be admirred unreal collection you have.my question is do you still buy on ebay much if not where do you get your cards? shows dealers ect i have been seaching now for 4 cards to finish my all american set for 7 month still no luck.as a collecter with so many finished sets any insight would be a great help looking for 55 aa football psa 8 and 9 only
  • Options
    69Topps 8,

21 Santiago I would call an 8.
    Satriano a 8 o/c or a 6
    Shannon--probably 7(Well centered but a touch on each corner)

I will send in this set(minus ones that have no shot at an 8) later this year.

Skins Fan,

I think that you would find that vintage sportscard collectors get their cards for the most part in two ways

1)Big phone/internet auctions such as the one recently held by Superior and
    2)National dealers calling or e-mailing me with cards they think I need such as Steve Novella, Dave Forman, Kris Keppler,Chris Porter. and many others.
    My recommendation would be to call Dave Forman at Teletrade--tell him what you need and use my name--I would bet he would do everythng he could to help. He will know who Davalillo is but he will not know me by that name so just briefly describe my collection to him.

Davalillo
  • Options
    thanks much i have had want list in with a couple of guys you listed for some time now will try others maybe better luck there. you could make it easy and sell me few of yours lol image have want list in at teletrade and with novella if you have a email for any others i may try please pass it on thanks much this is 1 tough little 100 card set.
  • Options
    Skinsfan,

While it may be tough as football cards in this era are in far less supply, it is nowhere near as tough as 52 bowman small,53 bowman,48 bowman, 48 leaf and 49 leaf.