Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

BBCE shrink wrapped sets

Does a BBCE shrink wrapped set, such as this 1984 Fleer Update set, imply that that they have determined the set has never been removed from the box? (Fleer did not originally factory seal their Update sets, remember.)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/232780156216

Comments

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it means that BBCE acquired what they determined to be a sealed factory case of 1984 update sets, and then wrapped them after removal. I am not familiar enough to know if they then slap a FASC sticker on them or not. I suppose, if they were confident enough that an individual boxed set had not been opened, they would perhaps wrap that, as well. So, unless someone is using reappropriated shrink wrap from, say, an 86 Donruss wax box, to falsify a wrapped update set, I'd assume the set inside has been determined to have never been touched.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2018 3:07PM

@countdouglas said:
    I believe it means that BBCE acquired what they determined to be a sealed factory case of 1984 update sets, and then wrapped them after removal. I am not familiar enough to know if they then slap a FASC sticker on them or not. I suppose, if they were confident enough that an individual boxed set had not been opened, they would perhaps wrap that, as well. So, unless someone is using reappropriated shrink wrap from, say, an 86 Donruss wax box, to falsify a wrapped update set, I'd assume the set inside has been determined to have never been touched.

Never thought about that.

Someone could buy something cheap - carefully remove the wrap - and reuse it in something much smaller?

I checked the sale - it has a card on it - I'm surprised it doesn't have some kind of writing on it that tells what the item is?

Altho, someone could buy one - use the card - repurpose the wrap and put a set that has crappy key cards?

Geez, that's complicated.

Mike
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

@countdouglas said:

Never thought about that.

Someone could buy something cheap - carefully remove the wrap - and reuse it in something much smaller?

I checked the sale - it has a card on it - I'm surprised it doesn't have some kind of writing on it that tells what the item is?

Altho, someone could buy one - use the card - repurpose the wrap and put a set that has crappy key cards?

Geez, that's complicated.

I'm sure something similar to that scenario has been attempted at some point. One thing I've learned about scammers is that they'll often go to great and elaborate lengths to make a dishonest buck... and if they'd only applied that same effort and ingenuity into making a legitimate living, they would likely have a lot more to show for it as the end result. I wonder sometimes if it's just the thrill of pulling one over on someone that motivates them.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Steve did purchase a case not that long ago. I believe it was in the Chicago-area auctions.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06