Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opened a box of 1992 Bowman

I opened a box of 1992 Bowman with my grandson the other day. I know that you should get about one of every card roughly, 705 in set & 540 in box. But we all know that is rarely the case when opening any boxes as you may get 4 or 5 of a card and zero of another card. But to my surprise, we got very few duplicates and one of every major star & rookie we were looking for! 1 Rivera, 1 Hoffman, 1 Piazza, 1 Ramirez, 1 Thome, 1 Griffey, 1 Chipper etc......So is this unusual or are the 92' Bowmans just well balanced?

Comments

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

I recall them being well balanced with good collation. That said, you did really well - congrats on the great pulls! I am sure your grandson will always remember it. Pull any of the key cards in gold foil?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, legit boxes are well balanced with at least most of the key cards included, maybe 15-20 dupes IIRC. I did open one Frankenstein box that had obviously been assembled by someone who knew the sequencing and the results were not as pleasant.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty cool - I wonder if 2 boxes would be enough to complete a set?

When I did an 83F set - it took only 2 boxes - that was a good deal.

Mike
  • Options

Thank you all for your comments. On another note, I did notice some of the low pops (0-2) that I came across were all off centered, probably why they were low pop 10's.

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

I loved the 1992 Bowman Football and Hockey also. Those hockey boxes are tough to find. Great story, it was my grandpa that took me to my first card show, he was buying 1968 Topps singles, I of course was buying some sort of junk.

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

scans a bit cockeyed

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

What publication did this article come from? It looks like it may have been in SCD or a local newspaper.

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2019 10:07PM

@rbsalezman said:
    What publication did this article come from? It looks like it may have been in SCD or a local newspaper.

local paper here in MN St Paul Dispatch, stumbled across it a couple weeks ago in a few odds and ends I saved

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

I found myself more interested in the reporting of a 1986 Andres Galarraga rookie card rising to $1.75 from a 1992/1993 newspaper.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    I found myself more interested in the reporting of a 1986 Andres Galarraga rookie card rising to $1.75 from a 1992/1993 newspaper.

And even more interesting to me was that they chose a photo of the Leaf card rather than Donruss.

• Options
    DonyoguyDonyoguy Posts: 30 ✭✭

Loving the "great rookie selection". Frankie Rodriguez, Sam Militello and Dave Fleming, but nary a sign of the three Hall of Famers from the set (who all, admittedly, came out of nowhere).

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember selling my jumbo packs for $15.00 each.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad Topps used all those weird off field photos or head shots for Bowman in this era.

Also, think how amazing 1992 Bowman hockey would have been if it had all the rookies of that year in it. Guy Hebert didn't cut it.

• Options
    CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

I've always thought the 92B Piazza was one of the best looking HOF RC cards from the 90's. It's always reminded me of the 69 Bench in the classic catchers pose. Also being a Jordan fan,I remember not being able to pull that $5 bill out of my wallet fast enough at my local LCS in 1992 to buy the Cliff Floyd RC.

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@magicpapa said:

@rbsalezman said:

local paper here in MN St Paul Dispatch, stumbled across it a couple weeks ago in a few odds and ends I saved

Good old Shinders....closed down years ago due to shenanigans in the backroom and such, from what I remember...spent a lot of time and money at those Stores back in the day, primarily the one in Roseville and the one in Blaine