Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone collect 1970's basketball Regional Issues?

I've always loved the more "oddball" cards, especially the Topps test issues and regionals of the 1970's. It seems that there are a handful (possibly more) of basketball issues out there that are just really difficult to find. There are lots of team issues that fall into that category, but I'm talking more about the non-team issues, regional releases that just don't turn up often. Recently I was able to add a few cards from two of my favorite sets, 1975-76 Super Star Socks and 1978 Royal Crown Cola (the cards not the cans). I thought I'd share them here but also would love to see if anyone else collects these sets and others like them. I'd love to see what's out there in the basketball world that I've yet to discover.

Here are my new pickups:

As you can see, these were the sock wrapper, but they do have stats on the back, making them more "card-like" than just an advertising piece.

Here are the 1978 Royal Crown, there are two different versions, short that hung on the neck of a bottle and then the long ones that were said to have been sold with 6 packs of cans.

So, those are the bulk of my recent pickups, I have a few others and would love to see what others have as well as talk with anyone else that collects this stuff. I could be wrong, but it seems that there are not a ton of collectors that focus on this part of the basketball hobby.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

Comments

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread never got any traction, but I did pick up a few more from each of these sets at the National, thought I'd share

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019 12:02PM

And, These are awesome! Never seen them before.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Here’s an oddball basketball item, ready to be ironed on to your favorite jean jacket. 😀

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like those patches, I've got the Thompson, Bobby Jones and Darryl Dawkins all autographed then have Dan Issel, Dr. J,, Bill Walton, Maurice Lucas, 76ers and Blazers teams all unsigned.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, those are all beautiful! I love issues like these.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Right up my alley. Have none of anything shown and would love to own all of it, but have some similar type stuff for baseball.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.