Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Currently Retired Players, not in the Hall of Fame but you think will be.......

Several months back I took on the project of going through all of my cards and pulling out all of the HOFers, putting them in sleeves and semi-rigids, keying in a full inventory (inclusive of commons), etc. I started thinking about those players already retired that haven't been inducted into the Hall of Fame for some reason (perhaps waiting for the old-timers panel, or simply not eligible yet).

Was curious to get people's thoughts on players likely bound for the Hall of Fame that are not yet there. I'm specifically interested in opinions on RETIRED PLAYERS not yet in for reasons like not eligible yet..... I'd like to build a list and probably pull these cards as well.

Comments

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2018 6:58AM

I assume you are looking for living players, so Jeter and Thome come to mind, but on the topic of HOF, Vada Pinson cards from 1958-1976 are affordable and underrated in my opinion. Maybe someday the committee will vote him in.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Thome is being inducted into the HoF in 2018.

Jeter, Rivera, Ortiz and Ichiro are locks IMO. Holladay is almost a sure thing too

Of course the PED discussions: Bonds, Clemens, Palmerio, McGwire, ARod

Maybe list: Kent, Mussina, Schilling, Vizquel, Edgar Martinez

I really wish but wont get it (veterans committee) Dale Murphy

There is a great article here: http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/77378/predicting-every-hall-of-fame-class-through-2045

• Options

Agree with...
    Jeter
    Rivera
    Ortiz
    Ichiro

Thome, Chipper Jones, Vlad Guerror, and Hoffman inducted this year....

Would imagine they'll get in at some point...
    Bonds,
    Clemens,
    McGwire,
    ARod
    Sosa (although as a Cubs fan, can't stand the guy)

Maybe's:
    Mussina
    Edgar Martinez
    Fred McGriff
    Gary Sheffield
    Moyer

Don't see it for
    Palmeiro
    Kent
    Vizquel
    Walker

Can't stand...
    Schilling
    Sosa (look, he's got two votes on this post!) :-)

• Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Tony Oliva
    Dick "Richie" Allen

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    Thome is being inducted into the HoF in 2018.

Jeter, Rivera, Ortiz and Ichiro are locks IMO. Holladay is almost a sure thing too

Of course the PED discussions: Bonds, Clemens, Palmerio, McGwire, ARod

Maybe list: Kent, Mussina, Schilling, Vizquel, Edgar Martinez

I really wish but wont get it (veterans committee) Dale Murphy

There is a great article here: http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/77378/predicting-every-hall-of-fame-class-through-2045

Shouldn't we add Ortiz to the PED list?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Ted Simmons, dick allen and Lou Whitaker will get in

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Luke1989Luke1989 Posts: 136 ✭✭
    edited June 6, 2018 9:08PM

idk I really hope they don’t let known PED users in. I really don’t understand why they let them even in the record books. As far as I consider it, 61 home runs is still the record. Screw bonds, McGuire, and Sosa for tarnishing those records forever and no way should they be let into the hall of fame.

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Agree on Ted Simmons. Richie Allen should be in, and I think Tony Oliva has a decent chance.

Why Dale Murphy is not in totally mystifies me. Same with Tommy John.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Steve Garvey, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, and Curt Schilling should have been in years ago.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Albert Pujols is reading this page and crying. You made Albert cry. :'(

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Perhaps Luis Tiant and Dwight Evans.

• Options

@bobsbbcards said:

While it doesnt seem like it sometimes, Albert Pujols is still active.

• Options

@Tomi said:

Shouldn't we add Ortiz to the PED list?

I could be wrong, but with Bagwell and Pudge Rodriguez getting in, I think Ortiz gets in. The voters have drawn a line somewhere, but those guys just arent as vilified as Bonds, McGwire, Sosa etc.

Manny Ramirez should probably be added to the list of PED guys who will never get in. And Ortiz probably will. So go figure.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:

@bobsbbcards said:

While it doesnt seem like it sometimes, Albert Pujols is still active.

I believe he's implying that "perhaps" Pujols has used steroids.

• Options

@Luke1989 said:
    idk I really hope they don’t let known PED users in. I really don’t understand why they let them even in the record books. As far as I consider it, 61 home runs is still the record. Screw bonds, McGuire, and Sosa for tarnishing those records forever and no way should they be let into the hall of fame.

I can't help but feel that the PED became part of the culture of baseball for a decent amount of players, clearly at fault of their own but MLB has some responsibility to it as well by turning their back to the problem (my own personal opinion). Cheating is cheating and shouldn't be rewarded however some offenders have been dealt punishment, served their time so to speak so is that enough to get them back in good graces? Individuals like Andy Pettit acknowledged his mistake, took ownership of it, and is seemingly back in good terms. I think for me personally, I just want the players to take personal ownership for their decisions,

There is a part of me that subscribes to the notion of PED's improving stamina, recovery times, turning 2B's into HRs however, I find it difficult to subscribe to the idea they allow a batter to actually make more solid contact consistently to the ball.....which seemed to have been juiced up a bit for a time as well. I'd be a buyer to the mindset that those having taken PED's, took ownership of their usage, and served their time, I'd be fine with them being inducted. The era is always going to be know as the PED era anyways.

....ask me tomorrow though and I may feel differently. It's a really interesting debate but I just come back to, I'm much more tolerant to those that accept the consequences for their actions and take personal ownership for them. Some have, some haven't.

• Options

@bobsbbcards said:

Still playing, so not part of the conversation but would think he's a shoe in once he stops playing.

• Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I think Ted Simmons, dick allen and Lou Whitaker will get in

I don't think Ted Simmons is a regular HOF'er, but I would put him in the baseball smokers hall of fame.
    I still remember seeing Ted Simmons sitting in the dugout between inning smoking cigs....

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP did not specify baseball, so I will add:

Absolute 100% no question first ballot locks, no possible way they don't get in on first eligibility:
    Brodeur, Jagr, Wickenheiser

Very very likely:
    Iginla, Doan, Alfredsson, St. Louis, Mikhailov

Likely eventually:
    Osgood, Cujo, Mogilny, Roenick

Not out of the realm of possibility but don't bet the house:
    Turgeon, Tkachuk, Fleury, Brind'Amour, Larmer, D.Wilson, Gonchar

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Ted Simmons was very recently reviewed and didn't make the cut.

I liked him as a player but he will not at this point make the HOF

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭

Mattingly, Manny, bonds, Jeter Rivera, Clemens, Aroid, lee smith, Hoffman,

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Not going to happen overnight but I can see a veteran's committee/modern era induction for Lee Smith and Fred McGriff

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mattingly has no chance. First basemen with 222 career homers in the modern era don't make the Hall.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoffman is already in the HOF.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Tony Oliva
    Minnie Minoso

• Options

Joe Jackson o:)

• Options
    FayeildingFayeilding Posts: 88
    edited June 18, 2018 5:37PM

@Flewbie said:

@Luke1989 said:

I can't help but feel that the PED became part of the culture of baseball for a decent amount of players, clearly at fault of their own but MLB has some responsibility to it as well by turning their back to the problem (my own personal opinion). Cheating is cheating and shouldn't be rewarded however some offenders have been dealt punishment, served their time so to speak so is that enough to get them back in good graces? Individuals like Andy Pettit acknowledged his mistake, took ownership of it, and is seemingly back in good terms. I think for me personally, I just want the players to take personal ownership for their decisions,

There is a part of me that subscribes to the notion of PED's improving stamina, recovery times, turning 2B's into HRs however, I find it difficult to subscribe to the idea they allow a batter to actually make more solid contact consistently to the ball.....which seemed to have been juiced up a bit for a time as well. I'd be a buyer to the mindset that those having taken PED's, took ownership of their usage, and served their time, I'd be fine with them being inducted. The era is always going to be know as the PED era anyways.

....ask me tomorrow though and I may feel differently. It's a really interesting debate but I just come back to, I'm much more tolerant to those that accept the consequences for their actions and take personal ownership for them. Some have, some haven't.

With all due respect, this couldn’t be more wrong. With that extra strength comes confidence and being relaxed.

You know you just have to make good contact, that changes everything.

Confidence is probably the number 1 most important aspect to being a great hitter.

The boost that steroids gives a hitter in confidence both chemically and from increased strength can’t be understated.

Not to mention the increased power.

Look no further than Brady Anderson’s numbers to see what can happen overnight from that stuff & how quickly you return to a mere mortal afterwards.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I can accurately state how little I care about steroids.

Arthur

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I don't think I can accurately state how little I care about steroids.

Arthur

That's how I feel about a balanced diet Arthur.

Mike
  • Options

@miwlvrn said:
    Joe Jackson o:)

I'm going on record to say my bet is Jackson gets into the Hall years before Rose.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bonds, Clemens and Pujols and Alex Rodriguiez all have hall of fame numbers.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/