Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Playing with lighting for photos...Albanian coin inside if you just want to look.

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

In trying to refine my shots I had a little fun today. The basic standard as my camera is an old Canon Rebel XS set up on a modified microscope stand with bellows and a duplicating lens. Does reasonably well up to about 60-70 mm. Lighting is probably the biggest issue for me and generally I find my set up serviceable, but felt like playing a bit today.

My standard set up for lights is:
1. In the basement with a couple of 'daylight' equivalent lights in the sockets and no ambient light otherwise
2. 3x gooseneck Ott lights
3. Diffuse the lights a bit with something blocking over (paper, white felt, something)
Basic method--wiggle the lights around until I get a few shots that look reasonable.

Today I tried two things. First I added a little more diffusion with a white translucent barrier all around the coin. Did a great job of killing the hot spots but made the coin look very flat.

Next I got a couple of super cheap (cost and quality) makeup mirrors from Wal Mart. A '3X' magnification so not so useful in gazing at one's pores...but nice to have on a stand. I used these to bounce two of the three lights off of and onto the coin, using the third light in it's normal glory (slightly diffused with afore mentioned white felt).

The coin itself is pretty nice. Lightly toned obverse, and more on the reverse. Flashy and with a decent amount of luster remaining. The reverse shows the typical circular tab toning found on many of these...I suspect this was a more heavily toned one that was lightly dipped, but isn't super white like some are found.

My 'normal' set up, which I haven't like as it tends to have blowout highlights (no idea what the technical terms are for this). I did bump the exposure up a tad on it, but otherwise unmolested.

The least satisfactory effort is the one with the full diffusion barrier. I think this might work well for my more matte medals, but all this did was make the coin look dull and lifeless. Had to tweak the color a bit on the obverse, it came out too warm. Still a bit off but closer than the regular photo.

And, finally, the one where I bounced the light around with the mirrors.

Someday maybe I'll learn how to make one of those cool gifs, or how to focus stack so I can tilt the coin and really show off the color/flash somehow.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Third one is the best. Tell us what exactly you did. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put something under one side of the coin to tip it in the light. I place the coins on a cork and put a toothpick or something thicker under the cork. Nothing shows except the coin.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Third one is the best. Tell us what exactly you did. Peace Roy

I have the three gooseneck otts evenly spaced around the coin. Normally I'm aiming down at some angle or other to try and optimize the look.

This time I pointed two of them nearly horizontally at one of the makeup mirrors on a stand like this one (only cheaper and from Wal Mart)

I used the mirrors to aim the light from those two Otts down to the coin. I used the third in it's normal fashion.

This is my basic coin set up from Ray's site (where I bought it):

No changes were made to camera settings and other than extremely minor tweaks in the color on one photo and the exposure on the other they are as shot.

@Insider2 said:
    Put something under one side of the coin to tip it in the light. I place the coins on a cork and put a toothpick or something thicker under the cork. Nothing shows except the coin.

I like that idea for the raw coins! I use a variety of things for tilting slabs. My problem is the focus gets too messed up--can't keep the whole coin focused when tilted.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2018 3:51PM

I opened this because there was an Albanian coin inside... I was not disappointed. Nice coin with a terrific design. Good images. I like the second and third images best

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am wondering if Jeremy (****airplane nut** I believe, here on the forum) can chime in and give us some tips.
    or **any other
    photo pro who also "knows how to do it" ???
    I think it would help a lot of members to take better pictures if we get some professional inputs.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 really captures luster and shows that flash of color. Not an easy accomplishment in numismatic imaging.

Very well done!!

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know how I got those huge letters in my post

Maybe the number sign before the 3?

@YQQ said:
    Am wondering if Jeremy (****airplane nut** I believe, here on the forum) can chime in and give us some tips.
    or **any other
    photo pro who also "knows how to do it" ???
    I think it would help a lot of members to take better pictures if we get some professional inputs.

I think a photography subforum would be awesome. Not sure if there is enough interest here, but it would be cool. Then again, airplanenut, blucc, and the other super awesome photographers would be giving away trade secrets. I'm just after 'decent for websites' though.

Here's another pair just for fun. Not the easiest coin for me to photograph. Dark toned but lots of color and tons of underlying luster.

Here I like how the dragon is contrasted in terms of color, but the details are not as sharp.

vs.
    The 'mirror' version of lighting. Lost some of the color, but the details are better. I think I can work the focus better with this type of lighting. Maybe adding a third light/mirror combo will help.

And yes, I'm selfishly using the forum as a way to look at the photos adjacent to each other...

Here is the link to the (non TrueView) PCGS photo https://pcgs.com/cert/80156455

• tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

I really like the first pic of the Japanese coin. Very nice shot.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

what do you consider "the Mirror version of lighting"?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
    edited June 8, 2018 7:43AM

Instead of directing the light right on the coin, using two of the lights by bouncing off one of those concave/magnifying/makeup mirrors. Not exactly diffusing, but changes the angle of approach and does widen the beam so to speak.

The first yen shot was photo'd like the top Albanian coin, the second shot of the yen was done using the mirrors like for the third Albanian coin's photo.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a set I have had quite awhile .

Beautiful high relief !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stealing seller pix is not allowed...... ;)

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 3rd pic of the Albanian piece is stellar! :+1:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-