Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin Identification Help

I'm having trouble identifying this gold coin. Any help on identification would be greatly appreciated

10.94 grams
17mm

I think I see the date year AH1218 on the reverse
I think it's either from Afghanistan or India

The most similar match I could find was the Afghanistan Herat Dar as-Sultanat Mohur KM#399 (see picture) but the obverse is different and the reverse is a little different too

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

The style does seem to be Afghanistan, Durrani Shahs, Mohur.
    I tried for awhile but could not get an exact match.
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?similar=1078346

• Options
    oldlinecoinsoldlinecoins Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

Thank you very much. Much appreciated

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

old gold, cool

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

The date is definitely AH 1218 - note that the reverse is actually nearly the same as the one illustrated, but the specimen in the book has a smaller flan, hence parts of it are missing. The obverse is totally different - this suggests a similar region or city produced the coin, but likely a different ruler. Unfortunately, that is all I can really add to the discussion!

• Options
    oldlinecoinsoldlinecoins Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

@Bjorn said:
    The date is definitely AH 1218 - note that the reverse is actually nearly the same as the one illustrated, but the specimen in the book has a smaller flan, hence parts of it are missing. The obverse is totally different - this suggests a similar region or city produced the coin, but likely a different ruler. Unfortunately, that is all I can really add to the discussion!

Yea, I agree, the reverse looks practically the same, it's just centered differently and slightly smaller flan. I guess for now, the obverse origin will remain a mystery! haha

Since there seems to be no record of this obverse, I guess it's possible this is a counterfeit