Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1884 No H Canadian Five-Cent Silver??

Here are images of an 1884 Canadian Five-Cent Silver but every reference guide I see says there should be and H mint mark... but can't see any such mm on this coin. Are there no H 1884 Five-Cent Silvers?

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    I see the remnants of it under the second 8. Could be worn away or partial filled die or both.

BTW yours is the blunt 4 variety (no premium).
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    On one hand, I agree there seem to be scratches however they are a bit slanted to have been the "H" mark. I have also found this with a Google search ...

Canadian 5 cents 1884 victoria no H minted at Royal Mint (not Heaton) 200,000 struck

and this ... Canada Coins Prices 5 cents 1884 varieties

The latter site indicates a "near" and "far" 4 variety, but no "blunt" variety.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    What references are you looking at? The 1884 pieces normally have no mint mark. The only year with H mint mark after 1883 is 1890.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What references are you looking at? The 1884 pieces normally have no mint mark. The only year with H mint mark after 1883 is 1890. >>

This.

My Krause, Charlton, Coins of Canada, and Whitman Canadian Coins books have no mention of an "H" listed for 1884.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    Looks like we all agree, the "no H" is the rule not the exception.

Let us know if you find one with an H mark!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a Canadian collector so dependent upon online and other guides. I use Numismaster.com for foreign coin frequently along with other resources. Everything I have seen refers to the 1884 Five-Cent silver as 1884-H - but all images show no mm. learning more everyday. Thanks all.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin,
    IMO it is a Wide date -Near pointed 4.
    However, this type should have a DC in the V of Victoria (looks like a reversed A but is not like in the 1872 25 or 50 cent)
    can you please check?
    would grade it VG8 which places it at a value of CAN $ 200- List.

definitely NO mintmark on 1884.
    the following Canadian 5 Cent coins have the H as mintmark:
    1902 (also without H)
    1903 ( also without H)
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

<< <i>I am not a Canadian collector so dependent upon online and other guides. I use Numismaster.com for foreign coin frequently along with other resources. Everything I have seen refers to the 1884 Five-Cent silver as 1884-H - but all images show no mm. learning more everyday. Thanks all. >>

It's OK. We all goof and misread from time to time. The links I posted above should be helpful in your future Canadian and world coin endeavors. One is specific to Canadian coins but the other is more generic for all world coins.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE