Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

STOLEN: Rare Cyprus Coins, and more

Reporting this for a friend:

1. 5 rare Cyprus coins and 40 other scarce world coins have been stolen during the shipment from Greece-Athens to PCGS located in Paris, between the dates 22nd – 24th of May 2014.
2. Our company, «Cointime Ltd», bought the five (5) rare Cyprus coins from Baldwin’s auction 6/86 which was held on the 6th of May 2014 in London. («Ex. Arielle Collection» Lot 166, Lot 188 and Lot 218).
3. The rare Cyprus coins are the following:
a. Cyprus ¼ Piastre 1880 of Queen Victoria. This coin looks like Proof but we believe that it would have been graded as MS65BN PL according the USA standards or Brown Uncirculated (Prooflike) according to the UK standards. The coin has a mirror surface and brown color both sides which makes it looks proof but we believe it is an early strike.
b. Cyprus ½ Piastre 1908 of King Edward VII. We believe that this coin would have been graded as MS63BN or MS64BN according to the USA standards or Brown Uncirculated according to the UK standards. This coin has some red luster on reverse and light brown color both sides. This is the weakly struck variety (King’s portrait on obverse and the line from ½ on reverse are weakly stuck).
c. Cyprus Proof set of 3 silver coins dated 1921 of King George V. The coins are 4 ½ Piastres, 9 Piastres and 18 Piastres all dated 1921. These coins have dark grey and blue patina and we believe that they would have been graded as follows: 18 Piastres PF64-65, 9 Piastres PF64-65 and 4 ½ Piastres PF63-64. The 4 ½ Piastres has a few light hairlines from an old cleaning which are under the deep grey and purple patina. All coins have a matching dark grey and blue toning except the 4 ½ Piastres which has also a light purple color mixed with grey.
4. The above 5 coins as well as many other gold, silver, copper and nickel world coins, had been sent to PCGS Paris, via Fedex, through a Greek coin dealer located in Athens. Once the package was received and opened under a camera at PCGS Paris, it had been found that 45 coins as well as the 3 submission forms were missing from the package. After investigation by authorities in Athens and also by the members of staff at PCGS in Paris, the coins had never been found. All suspicions seem to show that the coins were either stolen during the shipment or before the shipment in Athens. Unfortunately we are unable to solve this mystery but we believe that the rarity and the quality of these coins make them unique. We believe that it would be easy for us to identify them, even if these coins have been tampered with (altered color of different patina). It is very weird that they didn’t steal the gold coins included in the package which were more than 30.

5. The other stolen coins were 20 Gem Uncirculated Malaya & British Borneo 20 Cents 1961 of Queen Elizabeth II (MS65-MS67) belong to our company, which have been purchased from Ebay and 20 modern Greek coins from King Paul I and King Constantine II of which we have been informed that belong to other collectors/coin dealers from Greece.

6. We would appreciate all Numismatic Associations, Numismatic Societies, Coin Dealers, Auction Houses, Coin Forums and Coin Collectors to please keep an eye out for these coins and if you do come across this, please report it to the police and contact us immediately.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation and assistance.

Ms Panayiota Skitini Nicolaides
Director of Cointime Ltd.

cointimeltd@yahoo.com
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    First question I would ask... did you have an employee ship the coins? This does not seem like something done by a third party based on your description of the facts.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

This does not seem like something done by a third party based on your description of the facts.

If you read the post more carefully, you'll see that the coins were submitted through a third party, a dealer in Athens. The question is, when and where did the coins disappear?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously the owner must know who he submitted the coins through.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    link of the proof set of 1921. If someone can upload the photo cause the image is big and i am not very familiar with pc's.

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=714&lot=218

from the same auction are the other cyprus coins.
  • Options
    hopefully they are found. best of luck
  • Options
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Linky

looks OK on my screen
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Z.

Here's the rest. Keep in mind that the images are from pdf files from the Baldwin's auction and they certainly don't do them justice. The owner of the coins is a pretty capable grader and I'd trust his grades.

This 1908 half piastre in particular (a 64BN probably) is the first one in unc that I've ever heard of. I can't think of anybody with this coin in such a condition.

And this should be a 65BN P-L. I keep my reservations for the P-L only because PCGS never attributes P-L designations, except for Canadian coins, otherwise again I trust the opinion of the owner and I can't judge from poor scans transferred to pdf files.

All coins are far far superior to these images, but it's the best we could come up with.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3